• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Gmax animation

Country
faroeislands
I made an animated rotating door for my airport terminal in Gmax.
When I export the model and click the export animations as well, it does not animate.

Is there something I need to do in Gmax to make it work?

I'll throw out a thought, if memory serves.

I think you need to name the animated parts tick18_ , like tick18_door1 and tick18_door2 etc?

Been a while, so I may be totally off base. If so, sorry.

Country
faroeislands
The animated part is a part of a larger scene, so I gave the animated part in the scene the name as you said, but it did not change anything :confused:

but thanks anyways.

Country
unitedstates
For FSX, things are a bit different. In the SDK, go to the new aircraft procedures and then to "Animation System" That will give you a quick overview of how the system works.

In it's simplest terms, you need to "Tag" the animated object with a bit of info telling the sim how many frames the animation will run before it repeats and place a label on it so the exporter picks up on what the animation is supposed to do (enabled by the "Export Animation" checkbox).

The normal tag for something non-aircraft is "Ambient". You can get as complex as you want and assign new animation tags and guid's by adding to the modeldef.xml file, but generally, just tagging it with ambient will suffice.

Jim

Last edited:
Been too long. I'm getting back into scenery after about a year - amazing how much stuff you forget.

Seems like in FSX there was also a setting in the animation tool, but rather than make your problem worse trying to remember, I'll just shut up and let someone get you the right answers.

Since I kind of gave you partial info, and wanted to see what I was missing myself , I made a simple rotating box so I could see what needed to be done.

It does need the tick18_ name so call it tick18_door or something like that.

With the animated part selected go to fstools and open the animation manager. In the upper right corner you should the name of your part.

Under “groups” you should be on “all” – under “animation list” select Ambient. On the right you see “object anims”, below that is a start and end box. Click create. In “start” put in where your animation starts (usually 0 ) and where it ends . If your animation goes to 100, put in 100 for end. Now click “update sel” at the top.

You should be ready to export, make sure you click “export animations”

Country
us-indiana
Helicopter Animation

Hi, I have a question. I am working on my own UH-1D for fsx using gmax. I have animated the main rotor and rotor shaft. I already know I need to assign animations so that when I start the heli in fsx the blades spin. How do I do this. Next I need to animate the tail rotor too. But I will worry bout that later.

Thanks for you time.

-Live2fly P.S. I have attached a pic of the project if anyone wants to see it.

Attachments

• uh-1 (the start of something).jpg
    uh-1 (the start of something).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 379
Since I kind of gave you partial info, and wanted to see what I was missing myself , I made a simple rotating box so I could see what needed to be done.

It does need the tick18_ name so call it tick18_door or something like that.

With the animated part selected go to fstools and open the animation manager. In the upper right corner you should the name of your part.

Under “groups” you should be on “all” – under “animation list” select Ambient. On the right you see “object anims”, below that is a start and end box. Click create. In “start” put in where your animation starts (usually 0 ) and where it ends . If your animation goes to 100, put in 100 for end. Now click “update sel” at the top.

You should be ready to export, make sure you click “export animations”

That's almost it. The SDK manual says "For a basic animation set Start and End frames, a unique name, and select Create."

Which means set the start and end frames first, assign a name (Ambient in this case) and click Create. All done.

Clicking on 'update sel' will update the Anim Manager window with the currently selected object. So you can assign a number of animations in one session, just by selecting each animated part and pressing 'update sel' then creating the animation. I think if you set the start and end frames after Create it doesn't work.

Tick18_ is no longer used, you are meant to be able to convert a Tick18 animation for FSX, but this doesn't work for me.

Country
us-indiana
Ok....so the animation exported....but the rotor just twitches back and fourth.......is this just because gmax animations suck??? Odd thing is I was messing around with a black hawk heli in gmax and exported the animations (rotor) and they worked fine. However I had the animation slow tho, Meaning the rotors turned slowly. But when I export the uh-1 I have them set to turn fast. Is this why. And how do I fine tune the speed at which they turn?

Thanks. :D

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
It depends on keyframe and time that you set up.
Try to make the whole time less and make keyframe closed together.
By the way, I still don't know about this project.
Are you making scenery or making an AI airplane? It is different story.

Country
us-indiana
Ok, I will try that. I am making a flyable aircraft. My own personal use, I will not be uploading it anywhere. Just a project for myself.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
As far as I know, the rotor will use texture to simulate fast spinning. But I don't do airplane. Let's someone know better answer this question.