• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

GMax GMAX export problem Win11

Anyone know if migrating to Win 11 breaks the export function of the GMAX FSX plugin? I cannot export anything from GMAX even a blank file. It just shuts down CTD GMAX without error message. However, all other GMAX functions work and as does GMAX base and FS2004 SDK versions.

Country
unitedkingdom
For info (may/may-not help. There are also issues with export from Blender 2.83 running in Windows11. See my latest thread for details.

Is it the same issue? CTD on export and all other functions OK? I have written in the other forum here that it is the .gup files which are causing the problem. Not sure what their function is as I cannot read them.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Shez. I don't use GMAX so comments only on using Blender:
1) Export fails if "Export only selected objects" is ticked. ie. cannot hide a model part before exporting - would have to delete it!
2) Export from Blender creates a .x file and a .mdl file. If effects and animations in the model:
a)The .x file has the effects but a corrupt animation.
b)The .mdl file has only the animation.
I have workarounds for the above but should really not need to. Running Blender 2.83 in Windows 11 is definitely a problem.

Hi. Yeah this is very irritating as it has stopped any further work on modeling. It has pushed me to start work with 3DS Max so maybe that is a plus.

What were the work arounds you used?

Country
unitedkingdom
Shez, the following works exporting from Blender:
The workaround is:
1) Do not use "Export only Current Selection"
2) Export the file with "Export animations and LOD" unticked. And use the GOOD .x file.
3) Export the file again with "Export animations and LOD" ticked this time. And use the GOOD .mdl file.
4) Import the .x file into MCX and then merge it wtih the mdl file.
5) Now delete the ModelPart(s) created by the .x file and then export from MCX the .mdl file.

The .mdl file now contains the correct ModelPart(s) , Effects and Animations.

Shez, the following works exporting from Blender:
The workaround is:
1) Do not use "Export only Current Selection"
2) Export the file with "Export animations and LOD" unticked. And use the GOOD .x file.
3) Export the file again with "Export animations and LOD" ticked this time. And use the GOOD .mdl file.
4) Import the .x file into MCX and then merge it wtih the mdl file.
5) Now delete the ModelPart(s) created by the .x file and then export from MCX the .mdl file.

The .mdl file now contains the correct ModelPart(s) , Effects and Animations.
Thanks. Maybe the export CTD is due to the pop-up export options window that pops up when one presses the export button? Does anyone know where those options are in the ini file?

Country
us-kentucky
Hi. Yeah this is very irritating as it has stopped any further work on modeling. It has pushed me to start work with 3DS Max so maybe that is a plus.

What were the work arounds you used?
Yeah I’m with you brother!
I am in the same boat… I developed a lot of local objects that were pretty well expressed in previous versions of flight simulator including X-Plane., but I can’t figure out for the life of me how to get my previous G max models even through Model ConverterX into MSFS 2020… And…
Should go ahead and bite the bullet and use/ Learn 3DS? I understand Gmax is actually a precursor to 3DS Max… Is that true? And is that an a an intelligent forward path to doing scenery development in MSFS?,

Thanks,

Sending protective and healing vibes to you and your loved ones.

Chas

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
No, not a precursor. It was a special version of the existing 3DS Max created for game object creation, with a subset of 3DS Max features.

Yeah I’m with you brother!
I am in the same boat… I developed a lot of local objects that were pretty well expressed in previous versions of flight simulator including X-Plane., but I can’t figure out for the life of me how to get my previous G max models even through Model ConverterX into MSFS 2020… And…
Should go ahead and bite the bullet and use/ Learn 3DS? I understand Gmax is actually a precursor to 3DS Max… Is that true? And is that an a an intelligent forward path to doing scenery development in MSFS?,

Thanks,

Sending protective and healing vibes to you and your loved ones.

Chas
I am well into 3DS Max now. I like it but the workflows are more complex.

The real problem is the older GMAX models and how to make amendments in those.

Well I am happy to report that I am probably not going back to GMAX. 3DS Max is just so much better that I don't think i could now go back to GMAX if both are available.:)

The saga continues. I installed windows10 on a new HD just to be able to operate GMAX so I could export my models to work in 3DS Max. So when I run the newly installed FSX GMAX I get this DLL error. Any ides?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-05 193227.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-05 193227.png
    184.8 KB · Views: 61
So this is the solution for the Windows 10 error. Reinstall all the FSX SDKs in sequence and then GMAX and the error is resolved. Happy designing!