• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

GMAX export problem

Hi guys,
i'm virus a newbie of scenery design.
I've made, long time ago :eek: , the LIPZ airport (Venice Italy) for FS2000
with Airport and VOD!
Now i try to design something for FS9 but a have 1 problem (for the moment :D ). I've made a 3d gmax object and i want to put it inside fsa2004 follow the gmaxscenerytutorial and when i use the export command i can't find *.bgl format. I have: 1) flightsim cloud (CLD); 2) Flightsim Scenery Object (MDL); 3) Flightsim Aircraft Object (MDL); 4) plasma (P3D).
Inside my pc i have: gmax 1.2, gmax 2004, BGLComp SDK (updated version) in BGLComp folder, Make Model SDK inside gmax/plugins folder.

Where is my fault? :banghead:
Thx in advance and have a nice WeekEnd
:wave:
viRus

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi viRus,

That is correct, the Fs2004 gamepack does no longer make a BGL direct. It does produce a MDL and a XML file for you. If you open this XML file in notepad for example you can see how you need to use it to place the MDL file. By compiling this XML file with BGLComp you will get the BGL file you can use in the scenery.

Country
us-texas
Hey, I've been trying to do just that but I can't get the MS-DOS to rout me the the Scenery File so I can get started. I've typed in the following information:

cd “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery\Scenery”.

But it tells me that there are too many perameters. What does that mean? Any solutions out there?!?!

Here are the instructions that I've followed:

16. Open an MS-DOS command prompt window and navigate to your C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\FS9\Addon Scenery\Scenery directory. (Type in: cd “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery\Scenery”.)
17. In the DOS command prompt window, type in: bglcomp House.XML. This should create a file in the same directory called House.BGL.

Is there a better way? Am I suposed to type all of this into DOS (cd “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery\Scenery”.)?

Another error I get is:
Parameter Format Not Correct - "C:\Program

Last edited:
Country
us-texas
Okay, I was just talking to an IT guy that I use to work with and he said that I need to navigate through DOS by way of indevidual files so I tried it.

EX:

cd Program Files

cd Microsoft Games

cd Flight Simulator, etc.

The problem is that every time I try "cd Program Files" it tells me that there are too many perameters and that's as far as I can get. He told me to try cd Windows to see if that would work and it did, but that's all. What can I do now?!?! :banghead:

My OS is Window XP

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

You can type it at once as well, but if the filename contains spaces you must put quotes around it. If you have copied these lines from the SDK, you will have the wrong quotes (happened to me with XML code as well). So just type it yourself in the command prompt.

If you are lazy, you can also type the first few letters and then hit tab. It will then find a matching folder for you. If this is the wrong one just hit tab till you are where you want.

Country
us-texas
Do you mean like this:

"cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery\Scenery"

Or like this:

cd "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery\Scenery"

I think I've tried everything under the sun :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Like this:

Code:
cd "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery\Scenery"

cd is the command (change directory) and the path the parameter, but it needs quotes else the command does not know it is one path due to the spaces.

Country
us-texas
Okay, I guess this is it. My computer won't allow me to create a path through any folder that has a "Space" between the words in the folder name, ie: ProgramspaceFiles. I can create a path through any single word named file or a file with two words with a "." that seperates them but that's all.

Maybe it doesn't like the quotation marks or something. :(

Is there something that I could do to my computer that would allow it to change it's mind about how it feels about the quotes or spaces? :stirthepo

And thatnks for all off the help that you've been giving! :)

Country
us-texas
Okay, for a second there I thought that I had out smarted the darn thing by moving the bglcomp.xml and my hangar files to a new folder that I mamed with only ONE word. I DID get MS-DOS to create a path to it but when I typed in bglcomp myhouse.xml I got this ERROR message:

ERROR C2471: Unrecoverable error loading schema!
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR C1010: Failed to load XSD <bglcomp.xsd>!
ERROR C2003: Failed to process file: myhouse.xml

Well No Kidding!

This must be the reason that I voted 20% Designing and 80% Flying! :rolleyes:

Any help on this one?!?!?!

Country
us-texas
Okay, now I've gotten the bglcomp to work but when I take out the comment markers (<!-- -->) as instructed I get more errors.

Here are the instructions that I'm following:

14. If you open the .XML file created by gmax with Notepad or another text editor, this is what it should look like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

<FSData version="9.0" xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">

<!-- Sample object placement. Remove comment markers to place object west of 34R at Sea Tac. -->

<SceneryObject lat="47 25.89" lon="-122 18.43" alt="0" pitch="0" bank="0" heading="0" altitudeIsAgl="TRUE" imageComplexity="NORMAL">
<LibraryObject name="8FC1961F4365FF81051E12AE14F2CB92" scale="1.0" />
</SceneryObject>

<!-- Inclusion of model data. Use the 'Name' of this object to place -->
<!-- it in other locations. -->

<ModelData name="8FC1961F4365FF81051E12AE14F2CB92" sourceFile="House.mdl" />
</FSData>

Notice that it is already set up to place the object right at SeaTac field. All you need to do is remove the comment markers

(<!-- -->).

and here is what I've done:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<FSData version="9.0" xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">

<!-- Sample object placement. Remove comment markers to place object east of 34R at Sea Tac. -->

<SceneryObject lat="47 25.89" lon="-122 18.43" alt="0" pitch="0" bank="0" heading="0" altitudeIsAgl="TRUE" imageComplexity="NORMAL">
<LibraryObject name="9E8BE703470F9E62688F45B6ACEB9F59" scale="1.0" />
</SceneryObject>

<!-- Inclusion of model data. Use the 'Name' of this object to place -->
<!-- it in other locations. -->
<ModelData name="9E8BE703470F9E62688F45B6ACEB9F59" sourceFile="myhangar.mdl" />
</FSData>

I removed the comment markers that enclosed the "SceneryObjects".

Is there more to it than that? :confused:

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Just put bglcomp.exe and bglcomp.xsd into whatever folder you keep your compiled .mdls in (they're only a few K, so it doesn't hurt) - then you can just drag and drop the XML file onto bglcomp and it will spit out the bgl file without having to mess about with command prompts.

Country
us-texas
Aer you kidding me?!?!?! HAHAHAHA!!!! I'll have to try that! Thanks!!!!

But what about the errors that I get when I try to remove the comment markers? (<!-- -->) Will that fix them as well? I'm just wondering before I return home to try that out. LOL!

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Boatco said:
But what about the errors that I get when I try to remove the comment markers? (<!-- -->) Will that fix them as well? I'm just wondering before I return home to try that out. LOL!

What errors do you get in that case? The XML code you posted looks fine.

Country
us-texas
Well...I didn't have my placement correct. I was reading the error thqat was showing on the command prompt and I didn't scroll to the top. And by doing so I noticed that the degrees were wrong. I had longitude and latitude reversed. :rolleyes: So...I did get it to show up in the game and I just want to thank you guys for all of the help that you gave me! :teacher:

Now I need to add some more things to it and I'll be done. I'll post some pics of it later as well.