• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Gmax export to ASM file ?

Country
unitedkingdom
:confused:Hi all,seems I may be missing something or just not understanding it,I want to export from Gmax a Hanger with Animated doors and add the Trigger with CATs but it requires ASM files.
I'm sure this is straight forward but any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

You need to tell MakeMDL to keep the ASM files. The easiest way to do that is to make a file called MakeMDL.cfg in the folder of MakeMDL.exe. Add the following text to this file:

Code:
[Options]
Keep=1

Country
hungary
And where can I find that makeMDL file? because in my gmax/gamepacks/FSX Gamepack/plugins I can't find anything like that...

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

This is for the FS2004 gamepack only, not for the FSX gamepack. So you would have to install the FS2004 gamepack that is part of the FS2004 SDK.

Country
hungary
And where can I download the fs2004 gamepack? because I can't find it anywhere... where it is ment to be it says wrong link or something like that...

Country
hungary
Now I installed the gamepack to gmax. thanks for the helps but now it only lets me export my model in .p3d plasma file. and also when I open gmax from the fs2004 gamepőack there is a window with the title : create and export clouds after it asked me to select the flightsim effects folder... what am I doing wrong?

Country
hungary
here is a print screen of it:
upload_2016-4-30_12-39-7.png

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I don't think the gamepack loaded correctly. You used the shortcut in the gamepack folder to start it?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
The fact that you have an FSTools menu listed in your image says you have installed the FSX gamepack into that gamepack folder. You can't run two at the same time - they must be in separate gamepack folders, and you use the shortcut in the specific folder for the version of the gamepack you are trying to load.

Hope this helps,

Country
hungary
Thanks for the help but I've created a separate fs2004 gamepack folder (or I mean I've copied that one from the fs2004 sdk folder)

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
If you are running GMAX with the FS2004 gamepack it will not have an FSTools menu displayed, so you've clearly done something incorrect.

Country
hungary
I've downloaded fs2004 gamepack and moved the fs2004 folder from the downloaded rar file to the .....gamepacks folder and inside I can see an fs2004 file that starts gmax

Country
unitedstates
Is there any other method these days to create a ASM file. I prefer to use 3DS MAX. Or do i need to use FS2004 SDK?
The reason i ask is i want to use Arno's CAT for a hangar door animation based on frequency.