• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Gmax-FSTools

Country
unitedstates
Hi,
I'm installing Gmax in my new computer running WIN 10. Gmax standard version is working OK. I put FSX_GmaxGamePack in gamepacks folder and have changed gmax.ini and pluging.ini data to the right installed path. I also changed the new shortcut to the gamepack path. I open Gmax from this new shortcut and FSTools do not show up. In MAXScript menu I click on Run Script... and double click on FSToolsMenu.ms to install it, and I'm rewarded with this message. Capture0.JPG

gmax_MaxUtils.gup is located in Plugins folder in the FSX_GmaxGamePack and the .ini text files pointed to this location.

These are my paths:
Capture1.JPG Capture2.JPG
I will appreciate any help.

Country
madagascar
Hello.

Are you sure you didn't renamed the GMax gamepack folder to another name ? I did that and renamed FSX_GMaxGamepack to FSX_GMaxGamepack_SP2 to keep each GamePack version apart, and I think to have got the same warning as yours (I guess, I don't remember well what was the message on the dialogbox) I have several gamepacks in Gmax, to make it easy to match them with their reciprocal game version (FS2002, FS2004, FS2004MdlCommander, FSX_SP1, FSX_SP2, RenX..)

1) check again all of your paths through Notepad by searching each line containing "FSX" and confirm each one is correct (before running GMax)
2) if you happened to have renamed the gamepack folder, locate a file called BootStrap.ms under GamePackFolder\script\startup and edit it accordingly to reflect the actual naming of the folder (carefull to save a copy of the original file somewhere not related to GMax - Notepad may change encoding, that could result in unexpected behaviors; I use Notepad++ to edit the file to make sure the ms file is saved in the same encoding)
3) I've heard about a tool that can resolve all paths to the GamePack actual directory and repair them, but since I've done everything "manual" from the start, I didn't checked.

Country
unitedstates
Hi Karl,
I checked out my paths and I couldn't find any difference. I'm posting some views of my code. Maybe you can fin something wrong if you don't mind. Gmax is installed in drive D where my FSX and FSX SDK are installed.
Capture.JPG Capture1.JPG Capture2.JPG Capture3.JPG

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Try right clicking the GMAX icon, Properties, and choose Run As Administrator?

Country
unitedstates
Why do you change the gmax.ini and plugin.ini data?
Just create a new shortcut icon as you did for homepage. To change directories open Gmax and use the internal settings...../customize/Configure paths.
The plugins ini you altered should look like this!

Code:
[Directories]
Standard gmax plug-ins=StdPlugs\
Additional gmax plug-ins=plugins\
FSX=gamepacks\FSX_GMaxGamepack\plugins\
[Help]

Country
unitedstates
For some reason when I copied the FSX_Gmax shortcut to my desktop, it didn't setup right. Now I did it manually and everything works perfect.
Thanks everybody for your ideas, it helped me to find the solution.
PROBLEM SOLVED