• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX GMAX & FSX_gamepack Setup

Country
greece
GMAX & FSX_gamepack export failure [RESOLVED]

Hello guys,

It seems I don't know how to configure the fsx gamepack in GMAX.
I've installed it into the correct directory but when I try to export an MDL file, the program returns the following things:

No GUID Set, No FriendlyName Set.

Anybody can help me set those things?
I'm learning GMAX and this thing keeps me from testing my MDL files.

Regards,

Peter

Last edited:
It still fails to export!
I tried to assign a friendly name in the FS TOOLS menu but in vain :(

Last edited:
Friendly name and GUID?

What error are you receiving now?

I tried designing a control tower now, I assgned a GUID from the FS Toold menu and now I get a truly INSANE warning dialog that the forums don't even allow me to post here as it is too huge, followed by countless other error messages.

How on earth can it fail like this?

Please help me. It will be such a help for me to be testing my stuff in FSX and not just stare at them in GMAX.

Here is a screen of my GMAX instance that shows the building and the GUID-LodName thing.
Also, I have included the huge warning dialog, so that someone expert can de-code what it says and help the newbie!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 663
  • Epic Fail Dialog.txt
    132.6 KB · Views: 616
Last edited:
Hi there,

despite the degenerate poly errors, usually the MDL file produced should be still ok. Have you tried importing it in FSX?

Actually, those are "Warnings." They alone will not cause your model to fail to compile.

Having looked at your text attachment, I can see that the real "error(s)" are not included...

Start from the bottom of the report, and select only the actual error(s).

Hi there,

despite the degenerate poly errors, usually the MDL file produced should be still ok. Have you tried importing it in FSX?

I didn't try importing the MDL as I can see that it is 0 bytes.
Also, there were many export failure dialogs.

I did change the "," with a "." but no use. :(

The errors I get after that warnign dialog are the following:

- ConvertData failed!
- Failed to run exporter!
- Failed to export model 'C:/User......'
- Export Module failure!

I wonder what it is that it didn't FAIL to do!

Thanks for the effort to help guys.

If you have any more ideas please help me

Last edited:
As per Bills suggestion .... You need to post the Errors. ... Ignore the warnings.

You may also need the DirectX 9.0c redistributable for The gamepack to encode the intermediate X file.

It is not possible to say what is wrong without the information. It is likely your installation is incomplete if export is failing. Apart from OBED scaling errors it is rare for an export to fail otherwise.

As per Bills suggestion .... You need to post the Errors. ... Ignore the warnings.

You may also need the DirectX 9.0c redistributable for The gamepack to encode the intermediate X file.

It is not possible to say what is wrong without the information. It is likely your installation is incomplete if export is failing. Apart from OBED scaling errors it is rare for an export to fail otherwise.

Thanks man

The errors are those posted in my reply above.
I don't get any more error messages.

Here:

- ConvertData failed!
- Failed to run exporter!
- Failed to export model 'C:/User......'
- Export Module failure!

Last edited:
this is probably a install problem...

here are some hot tips.......go to the wiki...get arnos video on building and exporting a simple building......excellent tutorial ...get the vlc video player to watch it ,free......

download and install from microsoft the direct x 9 redistributal...doesnt matter if you already think you have it it wont do any harm....

as its fsx you must have installed from the disk....hopefully to the default location C....for fsx and the sdk.....

navigate to the sdk and read the sdk manual..

especially the section that tells you what other microsoft apps you need..like net framework etc....make sure these are installed....

in the game itself.press alt to bring up the tab bar at the top......a tab called
tools may be available...these are the tools used for building missions etc..

you dont need these but they are fun to play with......and its a good test to see if fsx and the sdk are talking to each other....

no tools in the game..........you need to alter the file DLL.xml....found in c:\documents and settings\ your name\application data\ microsoft\ fsx......open with notepad and change the entries saying disabled.true .disabled from True,to False......back in the sim you should now have the tools tab....if you havent...you have an sdk install problem....

cant find appl data....enable hidden folders.....but not system folders....

now follow arnos tutorial...and success will be yours....if not...then what problem have you...jim

Have you also done this ? The core Vista and Win7 files don't include all of the DX9 core files, so you will need to install these also.

As I see in my dxdiag.exe I have DirectX 11 installed.
As for DX9C, isn't it included?

Last edited:
GMax export error ( 1 2)
read this post . you have already read this....read it again...it answers your question....jim

Hi,

Does it work if you try to export a simple box? Better start with a simple object.

Most likely something went wrong the with the DirectX version or the dot vs. comma issue. Even if you have DX11 on your computer you still need DX9.0c installed as well, the gamepack uses certain DLL files from it.

Hi,

Does it work if you try to export a simple box? Better start with a simple object.

Most likely something went wrong the with the DirectX version or the dot vs. comma issue. Even if you have DX11 on your computer you still need DX9.0c installed as well, the gamepack uses certain DLL files from it.

Thanks Arno.

It does not even export a single box.....:eek:
Could you give me a link to this dx9c download? I'm not sure what I've found is the right download.

Do you by any chance have Greek format settings ?
Check if you Decimal Symbol is (.) and not (,)

Back