• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Gmax Maxscript error (FSX: SE)

Country
germany
Hi everyone,

after installing Gmax and the Prepar3D V1.4 SDK in order to model aircraft in gmax for FSX SE I am running into an error
during the gmax startup ( when starting Gmax from the link within the FSX gamepack folder).

The MaxScript error window says:

- Unknown property : "getPluginPath" in undefined

When I click ok and open the max Script listener in the lower left corner the log says:

Welcome to MAXScript.

-- Error occurred during fileIn in <File:C:\gmax\gamepacks\FSX_GMaxGamepack\scripts\startup\BootStrap.ms>

When I open the MaxScript tab and click "run script" and then manually select the above mentioned Bootstrap.ms
the following line in the script gets highlighted:

global FSXSDKLocation = maxUtils.getPluginPath() as stringStream

A rather exhaustive nternet search using various keyword combinations came up empty and left me a bit frustrated.
This thead on here dealt with the same problem but not real solution:
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/having-issues-with-gmax-on-new-computer-with-fsx.170065/

Does anyone here have an idea what the problem is exactly and how to fix this?

Kind regards,

Oliver

P.S.: Gmax is installed in C:\gmax and I copied the FSX_GmaxGamePack folder from the P3dV1.4 SDK into the gmax gamepack folder and start GMax from there.
I added the modeldef.xml from the P3d v1.4 SDK via configure path

D

Deleted member 1281

Are you sure V1.4 has a GmaxGamePack folder? Mine does not, it's already all Max-oriented. AFAIK you have to install the FSX SDK SP2 or FSXA from scratch, following the instructions in the Wiki of this forum. Then you get your gmax setup and the modeldef and can export from gmax as in the old days. I still do it occcasionally.

Country
germany
I' m sorry Manfred you are correct-I remembered it wrongly. I actually copied the FSXgmaxGamepack Folder from the (apparently rather limited )SDK of the FSX:SE into gmax.

Unfortunately installing the FSX SDK SP2 or FSXA from scratch is not possible for me, as I own FSX:SE not the aforementioned disk versions.
Hence the need to use the Prepar3d V1.4 SDK, but unfortunately this combination is not covered in the wiki on SDK in these forums.

Kind regards,

Oliver

Country
us-california
Now I'm wondering if you really do need to install the SDK service packs.
Is there a MaxUtils.gup file in your FSX gamepack plugins folder?

Country
germany
Hi Barry,

thanks for chiming in.Yes I have a file named "gmax_MaxUtils.gup" FSX gamepack plugins folder.
The other files in the plugins folder are:

gmax_FSModelExp.dle
gmax_MaxXML.gup
Managed_CrashTree.dll
Managed_Lookup_Keyword.dll
modeldef.xml

Not sure if there are supposed to be more / if files are missing , compared to a disc-Fsx variant based SDK

Kind regards,

Oliver