• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

GMax plugin for FsX

Country
puertorico
From PC-12's blog:

In response to a comment:

We (okay not me are working on the Gmax stuff right now. It's going to be a bit before we have an exporter that works, but dev is working hard on it!

As we all know "right now" the scripts to compile a true FsX model exist only for 3DSMx7/8. While gmax does ship with FSX, the converter is really the FS9 converter, to be used with the FS9 SDK.

While this doesn't give a timetable, at least it's "official" confirmation of what we expect. In several forums I've seen posts from modellers worried that now they would need 3DSMax to create content, so this should allay their fears.

Last edited by a moderator:
From PC-12's blog:

In response to a comment:

As we all know "right now" the scripts to compile a true FsX model exist only for 3DSMx7/8. While gmax does ship with FSX, the converter is really the FS9 converter, to be used with the FS9 SDK.

While this doesn't give a timetable, at least it's "official" confirmation of what we expect. In several forums I've seen posts from modellers worried that now they would need 3DSMax to create content, so this should allay their fears.

I'm confused, I know of nothing "official" that's been said except please wait, the gmax sdk will be released after the product has been launched.

What makes you think that the fs9 sdk is the "official" fsx one?

Bob

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Bob,

I think he means that the current GMax things that come with the CD are the Fs2004 gamepack files.

But it is good to see that the MS guys now also mention the new GMax gamepack on their blog. That means it is really coming :).

Hi Arno...I hadn't even noticed fs9 gamepack items being included in the fsx. Thanks for the clarification.

I guess "looking forward" to the new gamepack would be an understatement.

Best,
Bob

Country
puertorico
I'm confused, I know of nothing "official" that's been said except please wait, the gmax sdk will be released after the product has been launched.

What makes you think that the fs9 sdk is the "official" fsx one?

Bob

Clarification:

A new modeller still has to download the FS9 Gamepack from Microsoft to get makemdl.exe

From what I've seen, the FSX SDK provides the FS9 FSMdlexp.dll, that lets you convert the gmax source model, but doesn't do the final export to MDL file.

The point of the post was, like Arno explains, to let it be known that the "real" FSX gamepack is coming.

Sorry for the confusion.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
A new modeller still has to download the FS9 Gamepack from Microsoft to get makemdl.exe

Of course we already have the new XtoMDL, but only for 3DS. The problem is that the X files created by the Fs2004 FsModelExp.dle file for GMax do not work with this one. So we need a new version of FsModelExp.dle actually :).

Country
austria
Hi,
Microsoft tell us in the FSX Betaforum, AcesStudios create GMAX SDK for the FSX. When it's finished, we'll find it on the www.fsinsider.com page. But we don't know, when. Looking forward for the SDK ;)

Country
us-washington
Next week.

Hi,
Microsoft tell us in the FSX Betaforum, AcesStudios create GMAX SDK for the FSX. When it's finished, we'll find it on the www.fsinsider.com page. But we don't know, when. Looking forward for the SDK ;)

Should be sometime next week. We're going to be Content Complete on it Sunday and run it through tests and then post next week.

Country
australia
That's awesome news indeed. : ) Edit: Just saw the post in the other forum... great news. Thanks :D

Last edited:
Country
norway
That sounds great :)
Hope they have fixed the problem with bgl lights and the platform attachpoint.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I am sure you will be able to read it here, when the GMax SDK has arrived :D.

Country
norway
Of course, I just hoped someone had some info/rumour about a specific day or something :p

Country
belgium
@Knnygar... and others...

That sounds great
Hope they have fixed the problem with bgl lights and the platform attachpoint.

Yes indeed, the lights and lights casting a light beam and spot on the ground/apron.

But... concerning the landable platforms... I make them with AFW2.6 and that's working in FS2002, FS2004 and... also in FSX, hà ! :D (Only the aircraft carrier is ugly to see... not addapted for FSX)

Nevertheless very good news for the SDK's and designers.

Greetz. José.