• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Grape vines / vinyard texture and frame rate issue

Country
us-newyork
I'm working on a farm strip, that is on a vinyard. I made some custom trellises grape vines in blender, more or less a mesh plane in the shape of a leaf with a leaf texture on it, posts and a wire between... when I muliply it over the large area it hurts the frame rate, mind you i only have an old gtx970 and at a distance the leaves look grey, not the green texture. This is my first time really getting into blender and working with all this. What can I do to fix the grey and maybe the frame rate? I reduced the poly count as much as I can.

Last edited:

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
For my Grape vines, I did it all in cross-plain style. There is a rectangle between the poles with the base texture and wires painted on, then I did cross-plains jutting out the side for some extra 3D volume.
I would try to make segments of around 10-20m, in my case, I believe I was able to do 20.

Obviously this wont follow the terrain very well if the rows are on sloping terrain, so some manual rotation may be required in the sim (Setting Gizmo tool to use Local at the bottom helps make this a little less painful), or just shorter segments. However, remember that the less individual models you place in the sim, the better your performance will be, so longer segments when possible is always favorable.

Also, be sure to join your model parts together in Blender (Ctrl-J while over the Object Mode window, with all parts selected) and then run a Merge by Distance (Search for it using F3) to remove any duplicate vertices (default value is fine). Each loose model part technically counts as a draw-call, so that can dump performance and turn the sim into a stuttery mess if you have a larger volume of the model placed. It also goes without saying that you should use the least amount of materials and textures as needed. In the case of my model, I use one material for the poles and another for anything that has transparency. The poles are standard PBR (ALBD, COMP, NORM), while my vegetation just uses ALBD.

As far as the grey/white at a distance goes, I have never found a solution to this. I have also brought it up to Asobo and they have troubleshooted. It seems to just be an anomaly with textures using transparency at a distance. Pulling your final gltf into Model Converter X and assigning Vertical Normal in the material settings for your transparent texture helps with the shading a bit, but the issue is still there if you're at just the right angle (This will also allow snow to accumulate on the cross-plane vegetation).

Edit: Also, if you are duplicating large amounts or groups of the vines in MSFS, it may be creating duplicates. There is an option under the first tab of the Scenery Editor window (I think that one) that says remove duplicates. It may help to run that as well. Just note, if you did use groups, it will likely mess up the organization of those groups, but the original group you created will stay intact.

Attachments

• grape_vines_mesh.PNG
    grape_vines_mesh.PNG
    788.2 KB · Views: 81
  • grape_vines_texture.PNG
    grape_vines_texture.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Country
us-newyork
For my Grape vines, I did it all in cross-plain style. There is a rectangle between the poles with the base texture and wires painted on, then I did cross-plains jutting out the side for some extra 3D volume.
I would try to make segments of around 10-20m, in my case, I believe I was able to do 20.

Obviously this wont follow the terrain very well if the rows are on sloping terrain, so some manual rotation may be required in the sim (Setting Gizmo tool to use Local at the bottom helps make this a little less painful), or just shorter segments. However, remember that the less individual models you place in the sim, the better your performance will be, so longer segments when possible is always favorable.

Also, be sure to join your model parts together in Blender (Ctrl-J while over the Object Mode window, with all parts selected) and then run a Merge by Distance (Search for it using F3) to remove any duplicate vertices (default value is fine). Each loose model part technically counts as a draw-call, so that can dump performance and turn the sim into a stuttery mess if you have a larger volume of the model placed. It also goes without saying that you should use the least amount of materials and textures as needed. In the case of my model, I use one material for the poles and another for anything that has transparency. The poles are standard PBR (ALBD, COMP, NORM), while my vegetation just uses ALBD.

As far as the grey/white at a distance goes, I have never found a solution to this. I have also brought it up to Asobo and they have troubleshooted. It seems to just be an anomaly with textures using transparency at a distance. Pulling your final gltf into Model Converter X and assigning Vertical Normal in the material settings for your transparent texture helps with the shading a bit, but the issue is still there if you're at just the right angle (This will also allow snow to accumulate on the cross-plane vegetation).

Edit: Also, if you are duplicating large amounts or groups of the vines in MSFS, it may be creating duplicates. There is an option under the first tab of the Scenery Editor window (I think that one) that says remove duplicates. It may help to run that as well. Just note, if you did use groups, it will likely mess up the organization of those groups, but the original group you created will stay intact.
Thanks for all the information I'll keep playing around with it!!

Rotornut44

Resource contributor
Country
us-florida
For the grey/highlighting issue, change your material having the issue to fake terrain. I learned this recently and it has helped a ton with my vegetation.