Graphic card for DX11

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Hi,
I am such a low tech guy. I'd like to have a recommendation for upgrading my graphic card to be Dx11 compatible in order to do scenery in P3D. I don't need high-superpower-ultra fast one, just only to run P3D smoothly. From your experience, which graphic card is good for the money? Thanks for the any suggestions.

From what I hear, the 760 is a good bang for your buck. Not too expensive (for GPU standards that is) but powerful enough to run P3D and other games smoothly! How big is your budget? Because that's really important of course ;)

According to Tom's Hardware the R270X is about on par with the 760gtx and about £40 cheaper. The R285 is even better and about the same price...

The R270 and R285 earn the recommendations for those price brackets. But they are 200W cards. The 290 is 250w TDP o_O My mate's got a R270, and it's not that impressive tbh.

The Geoforce GTX 970 was the recommendation above the R290, but has actually come down in to match the R290, performs a bit better it apparently, and it will only use 145 watts!

I'm going to upgrade my GPU soon to the GTX 970 for this reason!

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-review,review-32899-7.html

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-970-GAMING-4G/dp/B00NN0GEXQhttp://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-970-GAMING-4G/dp/B00NN0GEXQ

Last edited:
Yes AMD cards are cheaper, but they don't peform well in FSX/P3D. If you primarily use the GPU for FSX/P3D go for Intel + Nvidia and stay away from AMD (both CPU and GPU)

The GTX9xx series is out so I would recommend this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487076

Tic,

P3Dv2 is much more video card dependent than FSX so to get a good experience you need more than just a DX11 capable card. I get decent performance from a GTX680 2GB card and the much cheaper GTX970 I linked above will destroy mine performance wise. You may be able to save a few getting a 770 or an equivalent ATI card.. to me it's not worth the savings. I'm a true believer in EVGA products and will continue to make them my first choice in video cards and MB's. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the fidelity of P3Dv2.

That's my 2 cents.

Here's an important question or two for you..

What resolution do you plan to run P3Dv2 in?
What are the specs of your computer?

I agree with VAEjonp, if you want to spend the money, go for a GTX970. have a GTX780 at the moment and it works amazing! (In P3D I get around 50FPS with ultra high settings and numerous payware addons) The 970 is even more powerful so it should perform better in P3D. Like Shaun and I said, don't go for AMD, you'll regret it!

I didn't say that. I said that was rubbish! AMD cards are fine.
Sorry Shaun, I misread your post. I have experienced it first hand that AMD performs worse than Nvidia in FSX. For other games it doesn't really matter, but since I use my PC mostly for FSX I returned my AMD and got a 780 instead.

Well that's just an anecdote. Many people have had issues with Nvidias too. If you get a better Nvidia card than your AMD was, of course it will outperform it.

AMD cards work fine with FSX and P3D.

Well I had an AMD R9 290x which is the equivalent of the 780, but the performance of the 780 was just better in FSX. Some people say it's because of the drivers AMD uses. But this is starting to get a discussion with no real purpose. I like Nvidia better for FSX and I'm not the only one.

Tic: Determine a budget and read reviews about the cards!

Heretic

Resource contributor
AMD and drivers don't go together well. The ones from the AMD 4750 days were a catastrophe in FSX for me and at one point, AMD simply cut support for its Linux drivers for cards older than 2009 or so which left me stranded with an ultra slow open-source driver on an already slow GPU. Not exactly my idea of a viable contender in the GPU market, but I figure that things have improved greatly since then.

Upgrading to a high end video card is not only about purchasing the card and a lot to do with your current hardware. If you are suffering from graphics performance issues, getting a more powerful may solve the problem but it can create more problems, for example, the card may not have the necessary power requirements from your current PSU, the system may not have enough memory to efficiently run the program in question [a lack of memory can cause severe performance problems], your motherboard's pipe line might not be fast enough to handle the graphics card flow of data, etc.

Sometimes when you decide that you need more power, you realize that you need even more power and you end up building a whole new rig.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Thanks for all the comments.

I agree with Mr.FaosFX. Sometime it ends up like that. Just only one card need to replace the whole 3-5 years-old- system, since the new thing is not compatible with the old one. Three years old in computer seems to be a century old building. I think just decent graphic card is enough. I usually don't fly FSX or P3D much, only testing the scenery. The more crappy computer I have and I get decent fps, the more frame rate user can get. If my computer is so powerful I will get very good fps. No aware of fps killer scenery so users who use the less powerful system will surely complain.

I forgot about Tom's hardware website. I used that web almost 18 years ago when I was in USA studying.

I think my budget would be under $200. My system is i5 but I cannot remember the CPU code. It is not with me now.
My old graphic card is from Nvidia. I wonder if I change to Radeon will cause more trouble with driver change or anything.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments.

I agree with Mr.FaosFX. Sometime it ends up like that. Just only one card need to replace the whole 3-5 years-old- system, since the new thing is not compatible with the old one. Three years old in computer seems to be a century old building. I think just decent graphic card is enough. I usually don't fly FSX or P3D much, only testing the scenery. The more crappy computer I have and I get decent fps, the more frame rate user can get. If my computer is so powerful I will get very good fps. No aware of fps killer scenery so users who use the less powerful system will surely complain.

I forgot about Tom's hardware website. I used that web almost 18 years ago when I was in USA studying.

I think my budget would be under $200. My system is i5 but I cannot remember the CPU code. It is not with me now.
My old graphic card is from Nvidia. I wonder if I change to Radeon will cause more trouble with driver change or anything.
I used to build very expensive systems but now there is so much power out there that building something using today's top notch technology would cost me thousands of dollars. The most expensive graphics card you can get for a gaming rig is the Geforce GTX Titan Z which goes for a whopping $2,800!!! add the latest intel CPU with 8 cores and you are already at $3,800 grab the latest mother board which goes for about $688 and now you are at over $4k+ you would end up with so much power it would be ridiculous. A superb high end POWER USER rig will cost someone about $6,000 and that's a scary amount of money to pay ..... when I hear of people who spend this much and want to over clock their hardware, it gives me goose bumps.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
A superb high end POWER USER rig will cost someone about $6,000 and that's a scary amount of money to pay ..... when I hear of people who spend this much and want to over clock their hardware, it gives me goose bumps.
Moreover, the same computer system that we just bought will cost only half at the year end. I just want some decent one just for P3D scenery development.

You can check your processor (type and clockspeed) by doing this: Start => Configuration => System and Security => System

You should get an index with: Your processor, RAM etc. This would be a good place to start ;) Check the wattage of your PSU is also very important, it can ruin your system if it's underpowered.

Depending on the version, a GTX760 fits nicely into your budget. It's not a powerhouse, but I got some friends using it for FSX and they are really happy with it!

OR you can click right click on the lower left corner aND choose system on Windows 8 :) or for win7 ...start>right click on "my computer" > prperties...done!

Also, sometimes wattage isn't a good number to go by, the more stuff you connect to your PSU the more amperage/current is being drawn. So it doesn't matter if you have a 1,500WATT PSU connect 4 Geforce GTX Titan Z's and you'll fry it. The Titan Z pulls out 42amps on the 12 volt rail...THAT IS INSANE!!!!