• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Ground Horizontal signage with GP

Country
italy
Hi I need to understand how it is possible to create the signs as in the photo attached. ADE has the GP editor to which textures are associated, following the manual it should be so but the GP EDITOR manual is not well explained. At the moment, I am able to create, various type and color, lines without problems but squares like attached pic that indicate the park number I would not know how to do it. In ADE there are textures with numbers and characters but it seems impossible to use them.

So, If it is not possible to create that parking symbol with the textures provided, how can i easily create a texture, modifying one, to be used successively in ADE? It would to have a simple and detailed information, explained step by step for a layman like me. Thank you so much.

Attachments

• taxi sign.png
    taxi sign.png
    461.7 KB · Views: 278

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
It is possible using the textures provided by ADE, but each character must be a separate GP polygon, and you must use the color choices provided. If you need more than that, you will indeed need to create your own custom texture(s). The GP manual does have pretty clear instructions on how to add your new texture to the ADE GP system; perhaps you can ask specific questions about parts you don't understand?

First, the type of textures you will need:

"ADE_GP employs two working texture folders: Textures, which holds the DXT or 32-bit textures
for FlightSim to use, and Textures_Dpy, which are what you see on the GP Editor when
creating/editing ground-polys. The reason for two folders is that you cannot see patterns on
textures that use an alpha channel to create those patterns and, in any case, Windows doesn't
display DXT textures. So, Textures_Dpy contains a 24-bit version of each texture in the folder
Textures. "

Second, how to add your new texture to ADE:

"To add you own textures, place a copy of the DXT or 32-bit version of the texture in the Textures
folder and a 24-bit texture showing whatever you want to see in the editor in the Textures_Dpy
folder. (See the two versions of gp_PatternedLines or gp_Patterns for examples.) If your texture
has an "_LM" version, save it too in the Textures folder. Do not reduce the texture size of the
files in the Textures_Dpy folder. Then from ADE's Tools menu, open the GP Texture Editor.

In the upper left-hand combo-box, select the name of the new texture and specify:
1. the distance (in feet or meters) the height and/or width of the texture is intended to cover.
(both entries may be left blank if the texture is not distance-sensitive),

2. whether the texture is of a uniform nature suitable for use as line-backing or ground poly
outlining, and
3. where in the Main Texture list on the GP editor you want this one to appear.

Finally, click on Update Definition Files"

For #1 you specify how large an area you want the entire texture to cover by default. This can be changed later in the GP Editor on a polygon by polygon basis.
For #2 your texture will not be a uniform texture.
For #3 specify a location in the GP Editor menu listing where you want your new texture name to appear - it's not really that important where it is.

Now use your new texture as usual.

Hope this helps,

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Are you looking at the ADE user manual or the ADE-GP user manual. You should be looking at the latter.

All the necessary steps are described in that manual. Create 24-bit and DXT textures with all the signs you wish to display and save them in the ADE \Textures_Dpy and \Textures folders respectively. Then on your ADE display, create GP polys covering the areas to be covered by the signs. Using the GP Editor, assign the polys to the appropriate section of the texture.

Country
italy
It is possible using the textures provided by ADE, but each character must be a separate GP polygon, and you must use the color choices provided. If you need more than that, you will indeed need to create your own custom texture(s). The GP manual does have pretty clear instructions on how to add your new texture to the ADE GP system; perhaps you can ask specific questions about parts you don't understand?

First, the type of textures you will need:

"ADE_GP employs two working texture folders: Textures, which holds the DXT or 32-bit textures
for FlightSim to use, and Textures_Dpy, which are what you see on the GP Editor when
creating/editing ground-polys. The reason for two folders is that you cannot see patterns on
textures that use an alpha channel to create those patterns and, in any case, Windows doesn't
display DXT textures. So, Textures_Dpy contains a 24-bit version of each texture in the folder
Textures. "

Second, how to add your new texture to ADE:

"To add you own textures, place a copy of the DXT or 32-bit version of the texture in the Textures
folder and a 24-bit texture showing whatever you want to see in the editor in the Textures_Dpy
folder. (See the two versions of gp_PatternedLines or gp_Patterns for examples.) If your texture
has an "_LM" version, save it too in the Textures folder. Do not reduce the texture size of the
files in the Textures_Dpy folder. Then from ADE's Tools menu, open the GP Texture Editor.

In the upper left-hand combo-box, select the name of the new texture and specify:
1. the distance (in feet or meters) the height and/or width of the texture is intended to cover.
(both entries may be left blank if the texture is not distance-sensitive),

2. whether the texture is of a uniform nature suitable for use as line-backing or ground poly
outlining, and
3. where in the Main Texture list on the GP editor you want this one to appear.

Finally, click on Update Definition Files"

For #1 you specify how large an area you want the entire texture to cover by default. This can be changed later in the GP Editor on a polygon by polygon basis.
For #2 your texture will not be a uniform texture.
For #3 specify a location in the GP Editor menu listing where you want your new texture name to appear - it's not really that important where it is.

Now use your new texture as usual.

Hope this helps,

Thank you so much.

from what i understand, i can use the textures provided by ADE, but each character must be a GP polygon which I can put trough ADE in the scenario. Also i can use only the colors of the textures provided in the textures editor. And the procedure that you have kindly described above, is used to correctly use the textures already supplied. It's correct?

But returning to my needs, how can I create a texture like the one in the attached photo (created trivially with paint for the sole purpose of example), through which I can apply the numbers for parking in a polygon? Thanks so much..

Attachments

• exaple.png
    exaple.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 218
Country
italy
Are you looking at the ADE user manual or the ADE-GP user manual. You should be looking at the latter.

All the necessary steps are described in that manual. Create 24-bit and DXT textures with all the signs you wish to display and save them in the ADE \Textures_Dpy and \Textures folders respectively. Then on your ADE display, create GP polys covering the areas to be covered by the signs. Using the GP Editor, assign the polys to the appropriate section of the texture.

Hi,
Thanks yes I confirm that I have viewed the ADE GP manual. Unfortunately it is not well explained in my opinion. THE manual takes many things for granted.
The problem for me is to be able to create 24-bit textures and DXT with all the signs I want. What program do you use? I would like to learn, thank you very much

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Yes, the manual assumes that if a user wants to create textures, the user has the knowledge and tools to do so.

Creation of textures is a topic all on its own. There are numerous graphic editors available. I use Photoshop. But that's expensive payware. There used to be a low cost, scaled-down version, but I don't know if its still available. GIMP is freeware, but I've never used it.

DXT is a standard format in Flightsim, but is not widely used otherwise. So, you also need a format conversion program. DXTBmp is widely used in the Flightsim community. Flightsim also includes ImageTool, but the learning curve is somewhat steeper.

Hope this helps.

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
as your newish to this then;
software paint package required is something like photoshop (if your a lucky one) Gimp is basic and can do most of what you want from a paint package and its free.

Next you need to look at learning how to save your ground (pictures) custom polys in the format require (24 bit) in to the ADE system - Its there in the manuals.

creating DTX files you'l need DXTBmp (its free) . That will be indispensable for saving those textures in the right formats.

Country
italy
Thank you your help it's very usefull. Iknow Jimp and i have already DXTBmp converter. Thank you so much i try yo make the follw texture so maybe i can use it in ADE.

Attachments

• exaple.png
    exaple.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 217

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
1. Load your PNG file into DXTBmp (I just drag it from an Explorer window onto the DXTBmp screen).
2. File/Save As/Extended BMP (or optionally DDS if using FSX or later), DXT3 (or optionally DXT5 if using FSX or later) from the drop down box, select where you want to save it, Save button.
3. Load the PNG file again.
4. File/Save As/24 Bit BMP Image, select the location, Save button.

Now you have your DXT (or DDS) and 24 bit textures.

Country
italy
1. Load your PNG file into DXTBmp (I just drag it from an Explorer window onto the DXTBmp screen).
2. File/Save As/Extended BMP (or optionally DDS if using FSX or later), DXT3 (or optionally DXT5 if using FSX or later) from the drop down box, select where you want to save it, Save button.
3. Load the PNG file again.
4. File/Save As/24 Bit BMP Image, select the location, Save button.

Now you have your DXT (or DDS) and 24 bit textures.
Thank you so much!! I made it!!

Attachments

• demo.png
    demo.png
    781.9 KB · Views: 248
Country
italy
Looks great. :)
Thakk you. Now i have this problem:
I created the red parking boundary lines from a png (transparent) and applying it as GPOLY it is not completely transparent as shown in the photo. Where can I act? Thanks so much.

Attachments

• Immagine.png
    Immagine.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 237

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Is the transparent layer of the PNG file 0,0,0 black? If gray, it will not be fully transparent.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
When I open the extended BMP file in DXTBmp, the Alpha Channel (upper right corner) is solid white. This means the texture is opaque. It needs to be 0,0,0 black in the areas where the stripes are not present, and white where the stripes are. Black/white alpha channels are the only choice for a DXT1 image.

I have attached your image with such an alpha channel (DXTBmp turns all DXT1 areas with black alpha channels to black in the main image, but since it's transparent that doesn't matter). Rename it and give it a try. I used Paint Shop Pro, an old paint program that I use, but other paint programs should work just as well.

1. Load your image into DXTBmp
2. Image/Send to Editor (you need to specify your paint program first - Prefs/Select Editor)
3. Change the white background to 0,0,0 black (only the red stripes should remain as not black).
4. Change the stripes to 255,255,255 white. Now the image should only be black and white.
5. Back in DXTBmp, Alpha/Send Alpha to Editor
6. Copy the black and white image you made in step 4.
7. Paste into the Trans.BMP image you created in step 5. Make sure the upper left corner of the pasted image is at 0,0. In PSP you can do this easily by using Paste as New Layer.
8. Save the Trans.BMP image.
9. Back in DXTBmp, Alpha/Refresh Alpha. Your black and white image should now be in the upper right corner.
10. Save the image.

Hope this helps,

Attachments

• extendedbitmap_alpha.zip
    25.5 KB · Views: 215
Country
italy
When I open the extended BMP file in DXTBmp, the Alpha Channel (upper right corner) is solid white. This means the texture is opaque. It needs to be 0,0,0 black in the areas where the stripes are not present, and white where the stripes are. Black/white alpha channels are the only choice for a DXT1 image.

I have attached your image with such an alpha channel (DXTBmp turns all DXT1 areas with black alpha channels to black in the main image, but since it's transparent that doesn't matter). Rename it and give it a try. I used Paint Shop Pro, an old paint program that I use, but other paint programs should work just as well.

1. Load your image into DXTBmp
2. Image/Send to Editor (you need to specify your paint program first - Prefs/Select Editor)
3. Change the white background to 0,0,0 black (only the red stripes should remain as not black).
4. Change the stripes to 255,255,255 white. Now the image should only be black and white.
5. Back in DXTBmp, Alpha/Send Alpha to Editor
6. Copy the black and white image you made in step 4.
7. Paste into the Trans.BMP image you created in step 5. Make sure the upper left corner of the pasted image is at 0,0. In PSP you can do this easily by using Paste as New Layer.
8. Save the Trans.BMP image.
9. Back in DXTBmp, Alpha/Refresh Alpha. Your black and white image should now be in the upper right corner.
10. Save the image.

Hope this helps,
Hi, thank you so much! Now it's all ok! Thank you

Attachments

• Immagine.png
    Immagine.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 237
Country
italy
Hi, thank you so much! Now it's all ok! Thank you
Thanks again but still I still have a little difficulty in understanding your steps. Your image works as well as you have seen but I still can't produce it the same.
It is not clear to me after this step:
". Copy the black and white image created in step 4.
7. Paste in the Trans.BMP image created in step 5. "
and so far ok.
But here: ". Save the Trans.BMP image." Probably because I use GIMP the system does not let me save in .bmp because in doing so I would lose transparency. Correct?
Can I save it in .PNG?

and then...

"9. Go back to DXTBmp, Alpha / Update Alpha."
when i refresh alpha nothing happens. I do not understand.

Thanks so much