• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Ground poly and prevent autogen exlusion problem

Country
belgium
Hi all

I have been trying to figure out a problem for the last months and finally found the reason what is causing the problem but not why...
It all starts in this topic: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426986

And this is what I concluded to what is going on but not the why...

The problem seems to be within MCX... When manually editing the asm file and converting them the flickering stops
Now trying to find out what option in MCX causes this...

EDIT: found it, prevent autogen exlcusion is the bugger... strange thing is that when manually editing the files and converting there is no autogen exclusion and everything works like a charm but when using MCX with preventing autogen exclusion it starts flickering...

Anything going wrong when MCX is writing the code?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I don't know. I don't know which tweaks the other person is applying manually. Does that include the autogen prevention tweak or not for example?

With some more information I might be able to improve the behaviour. But it is not that the polygons are always flickering. I have seen many cases where it just works as it should.

Country
belgium
Dear Arno

I did not tweak anything special in the asm files, just the normal change and for some reason this showed me more autogen close to the airport than when I convert them with MCX without autogen exclusion prevention...

Code:
 OBJECT_0_START label word
 IFIN1 OBJECT_0_FAIL, image_complex, 2, 32767
 ADDOBJ OBJECT_0_SCALE
 SHADOW_CALL OBJECT_0_SCALE
 OBJECT_0_FAIL label BGLCODE

to

Code:
 OBJECT_0_START label word
 IFIN1 OBJECT_0_FAIL, image_complex, 2, 32767
 ADDCAT OBJECT_0_SCALE, 8
 OBJECT_0_FAIL label BGLCODE

I currently have 3 bgl's,
photoreal underground (EBOS_AIR.bgl) addcat, 8
detail layer for grass and taxiways and runway surface (EBOS_AIR_2.bgl) addcat, 12
taxilines (ebos_air_3.bgl) addcat 16

strange things is that when I use MCX for conversion with prevent autogen exclusion on all 3 bgl's only the air_2 and air_3 bgl's flicker. If I use every layer seperately, so just the air, or just the air_2 or just the air_3 without any other bgl which contains a ground poly none of the bgl's flicker. But when combined together they start to flicker. I have not tested if this would also occur when adding all ground poly's in 1 bgl file, I currently have 3 seperate bgl files...

Another strange thing is that the flicker problem doesn't occur when you leave enough layers in between, so if I would place air_2 at a layer starting from addcat, 28 the air_2 doesn't flicker... but air_3 keeps flickering if I put it on layer addcat, 32... when I would place air_2 and air_3 both at addcat, 28 none has the flicker problem, but only starting from addcat, 28, any number lower as 28 would cause flickering...
If I would place air, air_2 and air_3 all on addcat, 8 there is no flicker issue either...

if you need any more info please let me know, I would be more than happy to help sorting this issue...