• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Ground poly is flickering (again) despite of flattening.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
If P3Dv4.x and P3Dv5.x SDKs are installed, does ADE-GP output G-Poly MDLs native to those versions of P3D with Z-Bias Level "functionality" ?
Yes. ADE-GP computes the Z-Bias parameter as negated layer number

Country
us-illinois
Hi again, Don:

IIRC, MCX G-Poly wizard assigns its 'emulated' Z-Bias via offets in Fractional Meters, and via its GUI utilizes "Negative Layer Numbers", but is not able to apply a "true" Z-Bias in FSX MDLs.

If, in fact, ADE-GP outputs G-Poly MDLs native to those versions of P3D SDK XtoMDL, with "true" Z-Bias Level "Material Property functionality", can Tic edit the ADE-GP output 3D model, to add other environmental / PBR scenery display attributes available via the P3D SDK Materials as in MCX ? :scratchch

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132047

Thanks again, for your explanation of what ADE_GP makes possible via its GUI and functionality. :)

GaryGB

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
If, in fact, ADE-GP outputs G-Poly MDLs native to those versions of P3D SDK XtoMDL, with "true" Z-Bias Level "Material Property functionality", can Tic edit the ADE-GP output 3D model, to add other environmental / PBR scenery display attributes available via the P3D SDK Materials as in MCX ?
I've already told you it's a fact! ADE-GP also includes a fully compliant FSX materials editor. It does not support PBR.

Gary, since ADE-GPs capabilities are quite well known and already in broad use, how about we leave this thread to respond to Tic's queries/comments. I'm happy to appraise you of ADE-GP's additional capabilities privately if you want to start a conversation with me.

Country
us-illinois
I've already told you it's a fact! ADE-GP also includes a fully compliant FSX materials editor. It does not support PBR.

Gary, since ADE-GPs capabilities are quite well known and already in broad use, how about we leave this thread to respond to Tic's queries/comments. I'm happy to appraise you of ADE-GP's additional capabilities privately if you want to start a conversation with me.

Hi Don:

I am somewhat familiar with Tic's work-flow in prior releases, having discussed issues of flickering G-Polys (or other 'unidentified' objects) with him before.

And since he appears focused in this thread on a P3D release:

Hi,
I was about to release my VTBS for P3Dv4. When I let beta testers test it, they report flickering of all the ground polys. I don't know why I don't have it on my computer. I did some changes of altitude in ADE (1.79 for P3Dv5) and it generate the file ***_ALT.bgl. I sent to them but no matter what I did, no solve. There is no other addon on the testers's computer, the same as mine. But why they have flickering but I don't. Still searching for the solution for a week.
Did you have ever encounter that experience? and how did you find the solution? May be that can enlight me how to find the answer. The video like is here: https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public?preview=2021-08-30+14-49-39.mp4

Thanks for any comments.
Tic

...but may have thus far actually utilized FSX MDLs for the VTBS P3D G-Polys, I believe Tic might appreciate my input here to troubleshoot what appears to be related to use of FSX MDLs as G-Polys.

Since AFAIK, only SCASM / ASM and P3D SDK XtoMDL compiled 3D models have "true" Z-Bias implemented, I also believe Tic might appreciate my input here to proactively troubleshoot what may again occur with his G-Polys when displayed in P3D ...if he continues to use FSX MDLs as G-Polys.

I also note Tic's history of using of environmental Material attributes, as well as an apparent recent intent to use PBR Materials in his G-Polys:

"This is a revised scenery of Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Airport VTBS from A_A Simulations product from 2013 for P3Dv4 and v5.

The airport scenery has been fully converted to v4/v5 compatibility and is completely redesigned also including lots of fixes.

Changelog v1.00:

- New fully compatible PBR groundpolygons"

I suppose P3Dv4/v5 "compatibility" is to be distinguished from "compliant" or 'native', but IIUC, he intends his G-Polys to be native P3D MDLs.

While I am concerned that Tic may incur some ongoing problematic display issues if he uses FSX MDLs for G-Polys, he may certainly welcome the opportunity to explore with you here, just what ADE-GP in its current form ...has to offer to his work-flow. :idea:

And, I do look forward, however to learning more about the capabilities of ADE-GP in the future, whether here in this thread, or elsewhere. ;)

I am confident you will continue to be as diligent in further development of the ADE-GP P3D feature set, as you have been in your other utilities. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
After reading all the discussion, thank you both Gary and gadgets, the FSX MDL is the problem. The reason I use that since my project was done in Gmax years ago. So it is easier to go from there and export as fsx mdl. But I would love to trnsfer it to 3dsmax and try P3D natively export to native P3d mdl. So, I guess I need to cut the ground poly into 100m. Then export and place it with XML to eliminate the process of MCX. I will do it right away and see if it can remedy the flickering problem. If it can, MCX should put a warning the GP wizard is not perfect in doing this.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Glad you found the problem. Hope I was of some help. But, since I don't use 3DSMax, I'm going to "take myself out of the equation". Good Luck

Country
us-illinois
After reading all the discussion, thank you both Gary and gadgets, the FSX MDL is the problem. The reason I use that since my project was done in Gmax years ago. So it is easier to go from there and export as fsx mdl. But I would love to transfer it to 3dsmax and try P3D natively export to native P3d mdl. So, I guess I need to cut the ground poly into 100m. Then export and place it with XML to eliminate the process of MCX. I will do it right away and see if it can remedy the flickering problem. If it can, MCX should put a warning the GP wizard is not perfect in doing this.

Hi again, Tic:

You may wish to re-consider options to import your G-Poly 3D models into MCX, and export via G-Poly Wizard for a P3Dv2.x or later MDL: :idea:

GaryGB

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
That's might be a good idea. I will try that. Make it P3Dv4 mdl first by adding Zbias and use GPW later.
I will come back to tell if that helps. Thanks a lot.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I did use MCX to convert from FSX.MDL to P3Dv4.mdl. I have made Z bias to-1 for the first layer in the property of material before exporting. No luck guys, still flickering. I will try to cut manually and place it again without using GPW. There might be something wrong with GPW.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Hi Guys,

After reading and searching though out this website, I found one mention that MCX option "Group polygon" might cause flickering.
I have tried that. But there is still some flikering, a little less but still noticeble.
I think I will give up. Do another set of ground poly in FS2002 style and let user select which they want.

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Tic:

I believe that Arno may be able to troubleshoot this, if you send him a PM with a link to your current set of files for this project. :scratchch

If there is an unresolved issue with his latest build of MCX G-Poly Wizard, your worked example could assist in making a better MCX for future use. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited: