• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Ground poly is flickering.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Hi Arno,
I am making ground poly with native P3d material. But I found the problem of flickering. It is my old project of VTBS, the file is in Gmax. So, I need to export as fsx mdl first. Then I change the material properties in MCX. Put Zbias to -1,-2-3 .... Then save it to p3dv4 mdl. I use GPW to make ground poly. Everything went well except the ground poly keeps flikering. I use the same zbias level more than once. Is that an issue? Since the position of the mdl's that I use the same zbias is not in the same place. I have been trying to solve this issue for at least 2 weeks, nothing changes. The airport is flatten in the same level as the airport height in ADE. Flatten polygon is one big piece cover all the airport. I will provide the files for you later to check if you wish.
Thanks,
Tic

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Do all polygons flicker or only specific ones?

Country
israel
Just some idea that work for me try to put your poly 0.2 cm on Z above ground level (for p3dv4) on v5 no need

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Just some idea that work for me try to put your poly 0.2 cm on Z above ground level (for p3dv4) on v5 no need
Will that cause the wheels sink to the ground? But the height is just 2 milimeter. I will try that.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
I have changed the zbias to +ve value and it works, no flickering. How come? SDK said that it has to be -ve value. More -ve will be rendered first.

Country
us-illinois
Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Tic,

I would have to double check the MCX code, but the GPW indeed enforces negative values from a certain P3D version. I can't remember from which one.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Arno:

Is there a way to see what FS SDK version a G-Poly MDL is compiled with by using a Hex viewer ?

Or can we examine a *.X file output by MCX as a intermediate work file before processing via SDK XtoMDL ...to find that info ? :scratchch

BTW: I recently did a search at FSDev which showed that you had added MCX support of P3D SDK Z-Bias level since July 2016.

P3D is up version 5.x (-nth HF power) now; was MCX support of P3D Z-Bias level NOT updated for all versions from 2.x to 5.x ? :yikes:

L-M's recent floundering P3D release process kinda' gives new meaning to what ACES' Phil Taylor used to call "FSvNext". :laughing:

GaryGB

Last edited:

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Did you use MCX G-Poly to output and place the G-Poly ?
Yes, I did. Nothing wrong with MCX, I think. Zbias can be set up by GPW. I did one mdl without zbias value and set the + value in GPW. It also work the same as setting in MCX and save as mdl the put it through GPW, the result is the same.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Tic:

Please do not think I doubt what you have said about your work-flow; I believe you. :)

But, I wonder if MCX G-Poly Wizard is working properly, because if you tell it to use the P3D SDK Z-Bias level and output to a P3D version 2.x/3.x/4.x/5.x MDL, MCX should only show the option to apply Z-Bia as negative values ...if it is truly compliant with P3D SDK. :scratchch

GaryGB

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I did check the GPW code now, for FS2004 and FSX it uses positive layer values, for P3D it uses negative ones indeed. So that is in line with the SDK. When you enter positive values they will be inverted when the BGL file is saved automatically. That only applies to the GPW. If you just import and export the file with MCX normally you can use any sign (positive or negative) you want.

Country
us-illinois
I did check the GPW code now, for FS2004 and FSX it uses positive layer values, for P3D it uses negative ones indeed. So that is in line with the SDK. When you enter positive values they will be inverted when the BGL file is saved automatically. That only applies to the GPW. If you just import and export the file with MCX normally you can use any sign (positive or negative) you want.

IIUC, if we use MCX GPW to output a P3D G-Poly MDL using Z-Bias level, if we goof and request a + value, MCX automatically fixes it to - ? :scratchch

GaryGB

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Yes, the GPW ensures the layer numbers are negative for P3D.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Hi Arno,
May I contact you via PM. I will send you the file to test. It is quite a long story.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Sure, you can send me a pm.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Hi rosdvd,
I found it finally. The problem is what you said. I need to raise ground poly 0.1 cm and the flickering problem went away. It does not cause by Zbias value either. I also found that GPW has some problem with PBR material. When using GPW, somehow it alter the PBR material to be darker.

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Tic:

AFAIK, you stated P3Dv4 to be the version of FS that is the subject of this thread.

I assuming you are exporting native P3Dv4.x MDLs as G-Polys ?

Do I understand correctly that you infer P3D v2-through-5 SDK Z-Bias Level Material Functionality is not working native P3Dv4.x MDLs as G-Polys at run time ?

AFAIK, you do not need to physically offset a P3D native G-Poly AGL by using a change in BGLComp placement XML Altitude value to disable this anomaly. :scratchch

As P3D changed how Ground Shadows work
:

* Have you considered whether your "Negative Number" value used for Z-Bias Level impacts G-Poly shadow display ?

* If you enable display of ex: aircraft shadows on G-Polys based on a Negative Number" value used for Z-Bias Level, does it enable the anomaly ?

* If you disable display of ex: aircraft shadows on G-Polys based on a Negative Number" value used for Z-Bias Level, does it disable the anomaly ?

Thanks in advance for your more detailed clarification of what is taking place with your MDLs and tests. :)

GaryGB