• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Ground Poly wizard eats runway

Country
us-northcarolina
I don't know why I get this problem...

Looks like two planes overlapping, even though they're different layers (looks fine in FSX) The problem is that right about halfway down the runway, I'm missing a poly :mad:

CRE-ground.jpg

Attachments

• CRE-ground.MDL
    49.1 KB · Views: 372

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Is the polygon really missing? In the preview the different layers are sometimes not drawn in the right order, so you can get flickering polygons.

Country
us-northcarolina
when he actually compiled the runway and put it in FSX, there was this one pesky polygon that was completely just gone.

Country
us-northcarolina
As Jon said, I compiled and the poly is missing. I'm not on my development computer at the moment, but I have circled the problem poly. Once I can get to that one I'll post a picture from inside the sim.

213.jpg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

If the polygon is really gone, I think it is a bug. Can you send me the file for debugging?

Country
spain
Hi.. I have a similar problem (FS2004).

If I use the wizard, I get an area around the plane that follows me.
In this area the terrain below my ground polygon shows up:
(in this picture the ground textures are a little bit transparent. Don't pay attention to that)

8ClRz.jpg

However, if I tweak the asm file, everything is fine:

JKkY2.jpg

If I go up one metre or so, that area disappears... So it can only be seen with C182 and not with A320, for example.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Country
us-northcarolina
The MDL is attached in the first post. The bgl is below.

Thanks for the help Arno :)

Attachments

• CRE-ground.bgl
    73.9 KB · Views: 378

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Ok, will take a look tonight.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Luis,

FS2004 style output should be the same as manual tweaking. The only difference I can think of is that the wizard will make sure the elevation of all polygons is zero. But if you have a flatten that should be fine.

Country
spain
mmm... There must be something... because the results are different.
In my last three sceneries I coudn't use the wizard because of that effect.
It's a pity, because the wizard is extremely useful.
Thanks Arno.

Country
germany
I got a similar problem in my last projekt (FSX) and fought several days.
The problem disappeared, when I disabled the ADEX-files expecially the _cvx.bgl file which contains the altitude of the airport.
All altitudes (flatten, airport-alt etc.) where set the same but the only workaround was to set these altitude to the value of the stock airport.
The difference in my case was only 0.06m but this solved the problem.

Jörg

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

Yes, I'm thinking that rounding errors in the various programs (ADE, MCX, GMAX) are causing some of these problems. I'm not sure that setting things to 0 feet is always the best course, especially if the FS2002 SDK doesn't do this automatically...

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Of course the FS2002 gamepack doesn't set the height to zero automatically, because it can also export 3D objects.

It's something I implemented because ground polygons should be flat. And I had issues slicing them when some vertices have another height.

When I make ground polygons myself they always have height zero. Combined with a proper flatten I never had bleedthrough issues.

I didn't have time to look into the issues reported here yet, but soon I will see how the wizard can be improved.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Michael,

I had a look at the missing polygon and I can reproduce the problem. The tricky thing is that in my debug tool it does not happen. So a little more searching to do.

Country
us-northcarolina
Hi Michael,

I had a look at the missing polygon and I can reproduce the problem. The tricky thing is that in my debug tool it does not happen. So a little more searching to do.

Thanks for the help Arno!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I have found it now. So from the next development release it should work fine.

I have also change the code so that the layer number you enter in the wizard influences the preview. So the flickering polygons should be gone as well.

Country
us-northcarolina
Hi,

I have found it now. So from the next development release it should work fine.

I have also change the code so that the layer number you enter in the wizard influences the preview. So the flickering polygons should be gone as well.

You're the best Arno :) When will the development release be uploaded?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
It is automatically made every night at 2:00 (central European time).