• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Ground Poly Wizard question

Country
unitedstates
Per some suggestions from other developers I am using the ADE ground poly wizard to import my custom ground polys and covert them so they don't suppress autogen.

I created an airport runway (layer 24) as a custom ground poly and gave it an asphalt texture. I also created three runway stripes (layer 25) which are custom ground polys (all made in ADE) with a custom texture. I compile that in ADE and import my GP.BGL in MCX ground poly wizard.

The issue is that I don't see all of the ground polys listed in the layering and visibility grid in the wizard and when I convert I only have the runway. If I just import the GP.BGL in to MCX not using the wizard, and then run the generate object report, I see all the objects. Any ideas why all the ground polys are not showing up in the wizard grid?

Country
us-illinois
Hi again:

In MCX, the GP in the above ZIP appears to be missing the mapped StripeWhiteThreshold.BMP and Asphalt.BMP texture files.

I believe it would be essential to include those in a revised ZIP file for the attachment to allow proper evaluation and troubleshooting.

IIUC, if the total ZIP size attachment exceeds 5 MB it may need to be linked to a 3rd party download location.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Unfortunately even though the dialog box says the maximum file size if 5mb, even when I try to upload files 1/2 that size or less I get an error message telling me that it is too large. I had to zip these individually to upload them.

The .bmp files will be quite a bit larger but here are the .dds files of the same.

Attachments

• Asphalt.zip
    461.5 KB · Views: 154
  • StripeWhiteThreshold.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 133
Country
us-illinois
OK, I am able to import "M34_ADEP3_SGL_GP.bgl" to MCX with all textures mapped to the (4) separate objects within the BGL.

I also see only (1) Material named "StripeWhiteThreshold.BMP" in MCX G-Poly Wizard 'Layering and Visibility" list: Layer={-24}

It is apparent that the GP you have attached above is a MDL-based, not SCASM-ASM "FS8" legacy (aka "FS2Kx") format ADE-GP.

You may wish to review Roby's statements regarding a need to merge / combine MDL-based ADE_GP sub-objects ...in these threads:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/autogen-trees-not-showing-up.441125/#post-782037

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/data-from-ground-polygon.440107/

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/gp-and-custom-ground-lines.440977/page-3#post-781027

BTW: What version of MCX are you using ? :scratchch

Navigate
: Windows Explorer > Browse / select: "ModelConverterX.exe" > Properties > Details > Date modified

GaryGB

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
The ground polygons are P3D v2 MDL file based indeed and the no autogen suppression option is already set. So you should not have problems with autogen going away.

Country
unitedstates
Gary, I am using file and product version 1.4.0.0, date modified 9/7/2017 10:09 AM. To recap, the original problem I was having was ground polys created in ADE 1.70 were suppressing autogen. I switched to 1.75 and it appeared that the suppression stopped but I noticed that what I saw in the ADE GUI was not what I saw in P3D concerning the alignment of polys. An example would be the runway centerline. In ADE it looked like the centerline I created ran straight down the center of the runway while in P3D it was off center. Let me create a new airport from scratch in 1.75 and see if the problem persists. I will post the details soon.

Country
us-illinois
Hi again:

I'm not sure whether this is pertinent, but:

...here is the "M34_ADEP3_SGL_GP.bgl" BGLComp XML placement coordinates for the (4) GP MDL objects:

awreaper_ade-gp_m34_adep3_sgl_gp_bgl_bgl2xml_xml_plc-jpg.37147

With this distance between individual GP object RefPts, would one need / wish to "Merge / Combine" these sub-objects into (1) MDL ? :scratchch

GaryGB

Attachments

• awreaper_ADE-GP_M34_ADEP3_SGL_GP_bgl_BGL2XML_xml_PLC.jpg
    awreaper_ADE-GP_M34_ADEP3_SGL_GP_bgl_BGL2XML_xml_PLC.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 612
Last edited: