• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Ground Poly

Country
austria
I hope I havent't missed something, but I did some research quiet a long time...

I made a low-quality ground polygon with gmax for testing purposes.
It is shown, but no defined as ground poly, as described in this thread:
Thread

But I cannot find the text which I should change for ground polys :confused:

This is my ASM-File:
Code:
; compile with BGLC /MDL C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Simon\Desktop\wien.asm
    db  'R','I','F','F'				; RIFF file identifier
    dd  bgl_data_end - $ - 4		    ; size of RIFF data
    db  'M','D','L','9'				; file identifire (FS9 model)

db  'M','D','L','H'
    dd  visual_model_header_end - $ - 4
    dd  visual_model_header_end - $ - 4
    dd  0
    dd  0
    dd  21587
    dd  0
    dd  0
    dd  152
    db  'F','S','8','0'
    dd  2304
visual_model_header_end  label dword

db  'I','S','F','T'   
    dd  ver_end - $ - 4  
    db  "MakeMDL - FS90 (9.00.030612.02)",0
ver_end label word       

bounding_box_riff_start	label	word
    db  'B','B','O','X'   
    dd  bounding_box_riff_end - $ - 4
    real4  -13443.909, 0.000, -16878.465  
    real4  13436.091, 0.000, 16889.535  
bounding_box_riff_end label word       

model_outside    label    BGLCODE
model_shadow label BGLCODE
model_inside  label    BGLCODE
crash_riff_start label BGLCODE
    db  'C','R','A','S'   
    dd  crash_riff_end - $ - 4
    BGL_CRASH_START   model_crash_end, 21587
    BGL_CRASH_OCTTREE  crash_end_1
    dw     CRASH_FLAG_BUILDING_PLANE            ; crash type
    dw     1            ; nodes used
    real4  -13443.909180,0.000000,-16878.464844      ; Box x,y,z 
    real4  26880.000000,11256.000000,33768.000000      ; Box w,h,d 
    dw   1,   1,   1,   1,   1,   1,   1,   1    ; base offset into node table, one for each top-level branch
    ; So if you take branch 2 (count from 0), you add 1 to indices you encounter on that branch
    ; Nodes (254=empty 255=full, else an index into branch)
    OCTTREE_NODE   254, 254, 254, 254, 254, 254, 254, 254           ; node   0
crash_end_1 label word
model_crash_end label word
    BGL_RETURN
crash_riff_end	label	BGLCODE

exterior_riff_start_0 label BGLCODE
    db  'E','X','T','E'   
    dd  exterior_riff_end_0 - $ - 4
LOD_0L    label    BGLCODE
    include    C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Simon\Desktop\wien_0.asm
exterior_riff_end_0	label	BGLCODE

bgl_data_end label     BGLCODE

Do I need better glasses, or did I make another mistake?

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi

The text in the thread you linked to is for the FS2002 gmax gamepack only and not the FS2004 which uses a different file format.

You will need to export from the old FS2002 gamepack (if you have it) this will then give you the correct text when you export.

I'm sure someone can explain it better than me.

Stevo

Country
austria
Ah, I understand. I've downloaded the FS2002 gmax SDK now.

But how can I extract the files with the old sdk? doesn't gmax automatically use the FS2004 SDK?

Country
unitedkingdom
I believe there is a document that comes with the FS2004 Gmax gamepack that explains how to setup both the FS2002 gamepack and the FS2004 gamepack, Have a read of it, it will tell you exactly what to do.

I think it will be in your Gmax/gamepack/fs2004/docs but I could be wrong, I'm not at home at the minute so cant look.

Stevo

The way that I use both the 2002 and 2004 gamepacks is that I have two installations of gmax. One for '02 and one for '04. It works flawlessly and it allows for the gmax files to be bounced between the two.

Sean E.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Two installations of GMax are not needed. With the Fs2004 gamepack there comes a nice document how you can setup both gamepacks together (as Stevo already said). After that you have to shortcuts. One to start GMax with the Fs2002 gamepack and one to start it with the Fs2004 gamepack.

PS. You will need the Fs2002 Pro CD to be able to use the Fs2002 gamepack, as not all files can be downloaded from MS.

Country
austria
Thanks for your help so far!

but going back to fs2002 the old problems come up again :rolleyes:

When I try to export the scenery with fs2002-gmax the following error occurs:
fehler.jpg

But MakeMDL (from 2002SDK) is installed in the right directory (gmax/gampack/fs2002/plugins/).
(the path cannot be edited under preferences/paths - maybe somewhere else?)

I can remember that I had the same problems years ago, but no idea how I managed to solve them (if I ever solved them :scratchch ).

Last edited:
Country
denmark
Hi,

Maybe this little trick can help you. (I came back to simming half a year ago after being away since FS5, so I had no 2002 - pro or otherwise - when I made groundpolys. And I am convinced that they have to be done in 2002-style):

Make your ground polys in gmax and export via the 2004 gamepack and via MDLcommander but as an x-file. (The MDLcommander docs will tell you how). The x-file can then be (re-)exported using the FS2002 MakeMdl as a stand-alone app.

You get the needed 2002-style asm-files and you may tweak away.

Peter

Country
austria
Thanks, I will try it.. Edit: I tried it ;)

at first, to check that I made everything right:
I exported the gmax-scenery with MDLcommander as an x-file.
Then I used the FS2002 SDK-MakeMDL to get an mdl-file out of the x-File.
This produced a FS2002-asm file, which I could tweak.
Then I compiled this asm-file with bglc_9 and got a bgl.

The result was unfortunately the same as exporting with FS2004-Makemdl (placed with xml and bglcomp).

Once the polygon isn't visible if there is a mountain, or there is no polygon at all, or the polygon is flying over the ground...

But never the polygon is placed as a "ground"-polygon. Allthough the agl is set to 0. :banghead:

May I need personal help? :whiteflag

Last edited:
Country
denmark
Hi,

I might be on the wrong track, but:
1. did you place your ground poly at z=0.0 in gmax in the first place, and
2. did you remember to flatten the ground?

Peter

Country
austria
yes, z = 0,0

flatten? no! because I don't want a flat area ;)

I would like to make large aereas of photorealistic sceneries (ca. 1000km²).

And therefore I would like to have the texture (ground poly) also on mountains.

may this has to be done in another way?

Country
denmark
Hi,

So you are trying to make several ground polys that follow the mesh. I think you will have to try something else. You could do it by textured VTP2 polys. Luis Sa has has developed his excellent tool SBuilder for that purpose.

I am no expert on this but try looking around the PTSim forum where you can also download the tool (freeware with a few limitations of functionality, 10 € otherwise).

http://www.ptsim.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=18

Otherwise try somthing like Photo Scenery Maker or Terrabuilder http://www.terrabuilder.com/

Peter

Country
austria
Ah, OK, thanks. I have already tried sbuilder (and pscmaker). I'll try Terrabuilder to make the complete list :D

VTP2-Poly - This is the Catchword. Thanks for that!