• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Ground polygon wizard conveting issue

Country
poland
Hi everyone,
I'm on to a project which is converting FS9 GPs to P3D ones. The others(e.g. taxi lines and brake skid) worked perfectly using GPW in MCX latest version of 1.4.
The problem came when converting surface polygon which lies on the photo-real ground. At first ,I checked "slice polygons", the process went perfectly but when I entered P3D to check ,it seemed some small parts of the surface polygon had been "misplaced" as I call it . The second time I tried to uncheck the "slice polygons", it turned out to be conflicting with the photo-real ground layer, which appears normal above a certain height, but covered by the photo-real layer under the certain altitude.
This is my first time converting FS9 GP to P3D, I don't know which step led to those consequences. If you guys have a solution to this ,please let me know.
2.jpg1.jpg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Did you enter the altitude of your airport in meters in the wizard? Else the curvation might be calculated wrong.

Country
poland
Did you enter the altitude of your airport in meters in the wizard? Else the curvation might be calculated wrong.
Hi Arno,
Thanks for the reply.
I entered the exactly precise elevation in meters of the airport, but problem still exists.
You mentioned curvation,may I ask how do I get rid of this?
Thanks.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
The wizard does add the curvation of the earth to your polygons. But that's on purpose, so you don't need to get rid of it.

Country
unitedkingdom
Something I've experienced with P3D v3/4 is that that it doesn't like the ground poly sharing the same space as the ground. You'll need to raise the ground poly model by at least .002 in the placement file.

Thanks,
Russ

Country
poland
The wizard does add the curvation of the earth to your polygons. But that's on purpose, so you don't need to get rid of it.
Hi Arno,

Thanks for the reply, but my problem still exists. If I check poly slice (100m), I got strange random holes on poly, If I uncheck poly slice and group poly, I get a poly doesn't display in low height angle.

So I'm thinking that you may help me with this problem, because this is the final hard piece of problem of my whole project.

I'll attach the exact bgl file causing this , along with the airport default surface with flatten file.

Thanks,
Rustam

Attachments

• Surf-before-convert.bgl
    88.6 KB · Views: 347
  • ZWSH_ADEP4_ADE.bgl
    7.2 KB · Views: 465
  • ZWSH_ADEP4_ADE_CVX.bgl
    247 bytes · Views: 316
Country
poland
Something I've experienced with P3D v3/4 is that that it doesn't like the ground poly sharing the same space as the ground. You'll need to raise the ground poly model by at least .002 in the placement file.

Thanks,
Russ

Hi Russ,

Thanks for the reply, but I've tried every possible solution still got no progress :(

You may check the bgls I attached to Arno above the post.

Thanks.

Country
us-texas
Rustam, when you generate your GP bgl with ADEx, what offset are you using at the time of compilation? ;)

Why are you making a distinction between GP poly and surface polygons? And why do you think that the satellite image would interfere with what you do in ADE?
The first thing to verify would be to make sure you have an airport flatten that covers the extent of your groundpoly.
Once you have the groundpoly compiled in ADE and you have a separate ..._GP.bgl and when you used different layers having made sure that you merged them into one P3Dv4 mdl with MCX, then load this mdl in the GPWizard, add the coordinates and the elevation of your airport, make sure the layers are OK, do not check the 'group polygons' as it is not necessary but make sure that you check the 'no autogen suppression', compile as an P3Dv4 scenery bgl and there you go!

Country
us-texas
Actually.....................why load into MCX at all. You can do all the editing you need within ADEx,

If all the problems with gp offsets and stuff in ADEx have been overcome, then indeed that would be the way to go.

Country
us-texas
If all the problems with gp offsets and stuff in ADEx have been overcome, then indeed that would be the way to go.

They did Roby, you have to install the latest standalone GP dll's into ADEx. The material editing works great, and no more lateral offsets.

Country
poland
Why are you making a distinction between GP poly and surface polygons? And why do you think that the satellite image would interfere with what you do in ADE?
The first thing to verify would be to make sure you have an airport flatten that covers the extent of your groundpoly.
Once you have the groundpoly compiled in ADE and you have a separate ..._GP.bgl and when you used different layers having made sure that you merged them into one P3Dv4 mdl with MCX, then load this mdl in the GPWizard, add the coordinates and the elevation of your airport, make sure the layers are OK, do not check the 'group polygons' as it is not necessary but make sure that you check the 'no autogen suppression', compile as an P3Dv4 scenery bgl and there you go!

Hi

I've tried your method, but still there are some pieces 'misplaced' with triangle holes.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 471
Country
poland
Actually.....................why load into MCX at all. You can do all the editing you need within ADEx,
Hi David,

Thanks for the reply, it seems the BGL9 cannot be loaded in ADE p4, nothing happens when I tried to load the FS9 GPs.

It would be great if you can explain it to me how I can edit an GP through ADE (I’m a dummy to scenery design)? ‘Cause the method by robystar didn’t work. :(

Thanks.

Country
us-texas
Rustam, are you loading the correct bgl into ADE? One bgl file will have the airport data, and another will have the GP data. Since these were ADE generated, ADE should have no problem reading it (or perhaps they were not created in ADE?)

Country
poland
can you show a picture of what you see when you laod the bgl into MCX?
Hi David

Thanks for the reply. I'm concerning it maybe because the original gmax model is exported with FS2002 SDK, so that I cannot load it in ADE, and maybe the reason why it goes wrong when converting into P3DV4 bgls.

The pics below are what I get after loading the only troublesome BGL into MCX and after converting it into P3DV4.

I don't know why it happens ,but I'm going to try different method.

Thanks again for the kindness though. :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 492
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 479
Country
us-texas
Ok, put the bgl and its associated texture in a zip file so I can look at it tonight. Looks like only one texture was used?

Country
poland
Ok, put the bgl and its associated texture in a zip file so I can look at it tonight. Looks like only one texture was used?

Hi David,

Here are the files.

The only troublesome BGL.

I parted it into 2 parts, here you go and have! :)

Attachments

• Part1.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 178
  • part2.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 189