• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Ground textures in MSFS with Materialize?!

Country
germany
I'm a beginner in SDK for MSFS.

Now I am dealing with the ground textures, which have to be available as color and composite in the SDK. I have now used the tool "Materialize" to create a composite from common texture downloads (for example from ambientcg.com). Unfortunately I can't get any further, the texture looks anything but realistic in the SDK.

Who can give me instructions on how to make a composite from common texture files using this tool?

Country
italy
Materialize has Property Map where you can use R G B slots to merge other maps into the right channels,

Is is suitable for material COMP (ambient occlusion roughness)

However ground textures require RGBA for their composite map (and also normal map channels splitting, and I don't know if that is possible with Materialize):

Red channel must contain metallic channel
Green Channel the X value of the normal map
Blue channel is for roughness
And Alpha channel is the place for Z value of your normal map

I find Gimp more flexible that materialize (and /less resource hungry)
Here is a tutorial about making them in Gimp

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk

Country
germany
Hi Federico,

thank you for your hint, that SDK ground materials are different from the blender ones.... that's it! I'll try that!

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Hello...

There are 2 versions of Materizer. 1 is very old and is no longer being developed and doesn't use the alpha channel. The latter one is better (does have the alpha channel to pack a material map into) but still has bugs (the packing of the materials maps) within it. I'm not sure it is been updated in over a year (could be wrong about this though). Materializer though is great in creating the different maps needed for ground polys and scenery *just not the packing of the channels).. One other thing about Materizer you need to know... it uses OpenGL on Normal maps,. After Materializer, you will need to invert the y-axis on the Normal map.

I agree with @mamu , you would be better off using either GIMP or Photoshop to pack the materials into their proper channels.

Last edited: