• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Groundpolys are disappearing when coming closer

Country
germany
After creating my first self made GP, a 300 ft by 40 ft airport name written on the apron, (quite without real problems - after only a few trial and error iterations) it looked as expected when hovering over it. However, when coming closer it becomes in parts invisible like being wiped out by the aircraft and when rolling on ground it does only show up from a unreadable distance and when coming close there is even no flicker visible.

2013-11-27_15h0907_MicrosoftFlightSimulatorX_AB.jpg

That's nice,...

2013-11-27_15h1019_MicrosoftFlightSimulatorX_AB.jpg

...this one not as much (the rightmost border flickers)...

2013-11-27_15h2520_MicrosoftFlightSimulatorX_AB.jpg

...and here it's wiped out.

All elevations are at the same level, even the sometimes occurring "last digit deviation" is not there. What can be the reason?

In the manual (issue September, p12) I can read about some settings of "Compile Parameters", a dialog I cannot recall that I've ever seen it. I'd never been "greeted with the ADE_GP's Compile Parameters Dialog, ..."). Even if I know that I'm hit by darkness from time to time, but I wasn't able to get access to such settings. Please could somebody enlighten me (even if the problem above might have nothing to do with the settings of the respective Compiler Dialog)?.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I'm using the latest Beta version of ADE (and having no more FS9 on my disk).

Last edited:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Axel, this is an internal FSX issue. It has noting to do with the GP code. (If it displays at all, the code is correct.) You will note there are several such idiosyncrasies mentioned on page 14 in the manual.

If you can't find a solution in the compile options, you might try breaking the poly up into individual letters.

Remember, we're using FS8 technology here - because that's all we've got.

Don

Country
germany
Axel, this is an internal FSX issue. It has noting to do with the GP code. (If it displays at all, the code is correct.) You will note there are several such idiosyncrasies mentioned on page 14 in the manual.

If you can't find a solution in the compile options, you might try breaking the poly up into individual letters.

Remember, we're using FS8 technology here - because that's all we've got.

Don

Thanks for the quick answer Don. This attempt was a sort of finger exercise and I surely will not split the poly up. Nonetheless, you are mentioning the "compile options" but except the split files options I'm not aware how to get access to such.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
you are mentioning the "compile options"
Not a great choice of words. Page 14 of the user manual identifies some unusual situations and suggests a cause. The message I was trying to convey is that you should experiment based on this information.

It's almost certainly some sort of elevation issue. Does it make any difference if you place the sign on the grass rather than on the runway?

Don

Country
germany
Well, those letters are there where they are placed in reality. Regarding the levels I already looked for any possibilities. Nevertheless, just placing the ARP just in the middle of my GP worked with success. :scratchch Now I'm really keen to get access to the dialog.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Well, those letters are there where they are placed in reality.
I was suggesting you move them for test purposes only.

Nevertheless, just placing the ARP just in the middle of my GP worked with success.
Then either compiling in groups or with local elevation should also work, since they effectively does the same thing without you having to move the ARP.

Now I'm really keen to get access to the dialog
?????

Don

Country
germany
I was suggesting you move them for test purposes only.

Then either compiling in groups or with local elevation should also work, since they effectively does the same thing without you having to move the ARP.

?????

Don

To start with the last one "?????":
2013-11-27_18h0236_ADE-GP-UserManualSEP2013pdf-FoxitReader_AB.jpg

I never saw this box and I have no idea where to find it (I might be blocked):

And, :D:D:D, I found the error! I looked into the raw data and found a fraction of .2 ft which did not show up in any "normal" view where elevations can be seen. Now the poly is visible even if the aircraft sits on it.:)

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
That dialog should appear immediately after you select compile. If it doesn't, you may be running with an old version of ADE_GP. The latest version is available here

I looked into the raw data and found a fraction of .2 ft which did not show up in any "normal" view where elevations can be seen
Do you mean the flatten wasn't effective?

Don

Country
germany
That dialog should appear immediately after you select compile. If it doesn't, you may be running with an old version of ADE_GP. The latest version is available here

Do you mean the flatten wasn't effective?

Don

Don, it seems that the flatten wasn't effective, right. I think it had to do with the "setting to Zero error" when moving the airport. I thought I'd repaired that by choosing that slightly different altitude of 1263.2 ft. Probably this shifted the before sunken apron up again to exactly this level but obviously the rest remained at 1263 ft as it was set before (like the old airport elevation that I had changed before). A first indicator was the value of the "Change airport altitude" box which finally was confirmed by the raw data view. When I looked before (as reported) after the properties of airport, runway, starting points and the flattening poly I always got the 1263ft and no indication from the fault finder, too. :confused:

Thanks for the download link. I now got the dialog even if I'm wondering how and when I could have missed the update, sorry. :eek:

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Since posting to you, I've released another update (0.0.98). Please check the forum.

Don