• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Guess the cockpit...

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Having a go at Erick Cantu's Boeing 732

Erick started it, I want to finish it.

vc.jpg

vc2.jpg

After almost a year, I still don't have access to my main rig with FSX. FS9 is all I have on my laptop, so this will be a FS9 model. I, however, have modeled and mapped this thing to FSX specs, so a conversion isn't the most time consuming thing.

Apart from the mundane things like painting textures, I need to:

- get Erick's exterior model up and running

- learn Bill O.'s unlimited export system (as Makemdl's 4mm weld limit blows) because of some parts

- get into the whole FS9 compilance (animations, materials, hierarchy) thing

- map gauges*

A long way to go, but if I succeed, this will yield the first (freeware) 732 with VC since FS8.

Now guess the aircraft.

Oh, wait, that'd be too easy.

Guess the submodel!

*The panel bitmaps are from the TinMouse, so there might just be a cockpit with systems depth in the end, provided I get all the gauges running.

- Edit:

Just noted that this thing still needs wipers.

- Edit²:

Solved.

Last edited:

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Update:

- The fuselage mapping on Erick's exterior WIP model was FUBAR'ed and could not be made compatible with existing repaints.

Upside: It now has one-piece 2048 px² map (thanks to quick export to Max 9, normal mapping and re-import into GMax).

Downside: I need to paint a new master texture; you can't use existing repaints; FS9 users will only get the 1024 size mip in sim.

- Unlimited Export not necessary, thanks to Middleman and makemdl.cfg with "weld=0"

Anyone willing to help me out with painting the fuselage and doing some repaints?

Country
germany
what's the texture resolution for this airplane?
Looks like it's getting very pixled ...

it's better to map the fuse on a single sheet and create a new one for the engines, the wings, the misc party. You can add much more detail this way

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I'm going to add engine textures and things like nose gear doors to the sheet (along with some smaller stuff maybe) to fill it up a bit.
The cargo door option and a bare metal layer are still missing as well.

I don't want to remap the whole model as this will be too time intensive. I've still got to take care of VC textures.

The map looks pixelated because I'm mostly working with the pencil tool since it's much more precise than the brush; especially for painting the basic structure.
A swipe with the "Gaussian Blur" filter oughta smooth things up a bit in the end. Or/and a bit of noise and blur here and there.

If anyone wants to go HD on the texture and/or add and/or improve things once I'm done, he/she is more than welcome to.
(I like my textures simple and easy to repaint. Also, Im working on a 1024*768 px screen, which doesn't help in the details department.)

I, for my part, am pretty content with them for now.

P.S:
Arno, can you rename this thread "Erick Cantu's B732 revisited" or so?
I can't seem to edit the actual thread title anymore.

Country
unitedstates
Fuselage texture preview:

http://i49.tinypic.com/vooow2.png

I think I'll add the engine textures to this sheet to reduce draw calls.

Draw calls are made for every mesh not textures! :eek:

To reduce draw calls you must effective combine the fuselage and the turbine meshes as 1 unit and texture map but that may not be possible =P!

You will save on memory tho because your using up that "free real-estate" on the texture map.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany

Textures need some more tweaking (panel lines more subtle, dirt here an there), but this is where I'm at.

Thinking about preemptively keyframing the rudder, ailerons and elevator to get rid of the ugly effects in MCX.

Zeiten

Resource contributor
Country
norway
I wish you the best of luck.

The Tinmouse really need is a nice looking VC:)

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I've done the basic fuselage textures myself.

Currently doing the VC textures, which is...fun. Real, unlimited...fun. Just enough fun to be more fun than getting your body hair waxed. Or else.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
"Happiness is a cozy cockpit."
- Kim Il Sung

Err...

Now on to proper sim integration. Next update: 2014

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Heh, I've managed to split three 2048²px texture maps down into twelve 1024²px maps without having to scale a single part's UVW map.

All it took was a separate material for each of the smaller maps and the "offset" and "tiling" settings in the map settings to slide it into its corresponding quadrant on one of the large original maps.

The effect is an easy method of keeping texture resolution high in FS9 while retaining FSX' capability to handle large texture maps.

Country
netherlands
Hmm. That is of interest to me. Can you describe in more "for an idiot to understand" basis? I am not profficient in gmax.

Thank you.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I'm doing the B737-200 ADV/COMBI for Milviz (FSX/P3D only!).

I spent over two months just getting the overhead panel fully animated and "logic'd" (if that's not a word, it should be!)... ;)

From what I've seen so far, this is going to be a terrific FS9 version! :D

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Now in-sim.

Cool features:
Brake pedals, trim adjustable via knob on yoke.

Combi/QC fuselage texture configuration.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
By the way, the 4mm vertex weld limit for the VC does seem to vanish if one puts the right parameters into the MakeMDL.cfg.

Code:
WeldPoints=0 
Optimize=0 
Flatten=0
Into the [Options] section.

My MakeMDL.cfg:
Code:
[Settings]
LastDir=
SaveDir=C:\gmax\GAMEPA~1\FS2004\plugins

[Options] 
Debug=1 
ViewLog=0 
KeepErrorLog=1 
Keep=0 
I8=1 
I=0 
FullMat=1 
Deffallback=1 
WeldPoints=0 
Optimize=0 
Flatten=0 
NoAnimate=0
HasReflectMap=1
HasNightMap=0
HasLightMap=0
HasDamageMap=0 
NegateZ=1 
NoLeftToRight=0 
SwapBH=0 
Vis=0 
Crash=0 
XML=1

(Thanks to Mr.FaosFX for the parameter names.)

This also obliviates the need for MiddleMan (unless one wants to do something related to ULE).