• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX GUID Not Reading and ?Not changeable if Friendlynames identical

hcornea

Resource contributor
Country
australia
GUID Not Reading (and ?Not changeable) on one particular library bgl

I am reading in an FSX object library made of similar objects.

Unfortunately, when they were compiled, it seems that duplicate friendly names have been used. This doesn;t seem to present a problem to FSX ... as the GUIDs are unique.

Modelconverter does not seem to be able to read the GUID from each object in this case.

I checked the original library with SDE to see what the GUIDs are, and they are all unique.

Strangely, Modelconverter lists a GUID that is not present in the entire library for each type of object.

The only unusual thing I can see about this library is the duplicate friendly names.

Also: When I change the GUID and Friendly names in MCX, it doesn't seem to change within the exported MDL file.

Last edited:

hcornea

Resource contributor
Country
australia
Some further information:

I Hexedited the bgl to make each Friendly name unique (crass, I know) ... but has been a useful way of correcting things in the past!

Despite this, the library bgl won;t compile.

Would it matter if it was FS9 compiled? I am not sure if this is the case.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

From the test object you send me it seems they are FSX MDL files. But when I look at the file I do see the same GUID for the objects with the same name. So it seems not like a bug to me.

hcornea

Resource contributor
Country
australia
Thankyou for your work on this Arno.

A further observation and some test files ..

I have done the unthinkable ... and made three different objects (all of which have the same GUID and friendlyname)

They have been compiled with LibraryMaker.

What is apparent is that FSX does not use the GUID in the MDL data for these objects, it uses the new GUID placed in the library file. Otherwise you would not be able to place the three objects.

2010-2-3_23-46-1-505.jpg

It would be nice to have the option of referencing (and preserving) the GUID that FSX is using for such objects if the two GUID entries differ.

Attached is a set of MDL files (all with the same GUID). These were compiled into the attached library, and you can see that the XML which places them references the GUID from the header.

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Does the new GUID "stick" if you export to a different folder than the original?

Dick

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

This is interesting. I took a look at the BGL file and it seems there is indeed a different GUID defined in the library part than in the MDL file. FS uses the one defined in the library.

I will take a look at the ModelConverterX code later tonight and fix it so that the GUID in the library gets preference above the MDL.

But I must say I find it a little worrying that a tool ignores the GUID in the MDL. That is very confusing for a designer who thinks he had set the GUID while exporting. I am not sure if BGLComp even allows this (I think not), so this effect can only be achieved when writing the BGL directly.

As Dick mentioned, it would be interesting to know how the tool ensures that the GUID stays the same if you later update your MDL file and recompile the library.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
If you change the GUID, but not the MDL name, and export as that same name, no GUID change.

If you change the GUID, but not the MDL name, and export as a different name, the GUID will change, but the filename and internal MDL name will be different.

If you change the GUID, and the MDL name, and export as the original filename, the the GUID will remain the same, and the filename and internal MDL name will be different.

So... any FSX MDL export will retain the original imported GUID if the exported MDL filename is the same... in the same folder. ( new folder means new GUID )

I don't know if this was Arno's intention, but it does serve as a protection against overwriting the original GUID accidentallty. I gues the 'rule of thumb' would be to export to a different folder..thereby protecting the original.

Dick

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Dick,

For ModelConverterX it indeed works that if you try to overwrite a MDL it will take the GUID from that file. Else it takes the one defined.

But for the topic of this discussion, it is the Library Maker tool, which seems to ignore the GUID in the MDL when making the library and assigns a different GUID to the object.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I have changed the library BGL reader code, it will now take the GUID from the library if it is different from the MDL file. I agree that that would be the best behaviour. Will be available in the next development release.

hcornea

Resource contributor
Country
australia
In answer to the question about Library Maker and "updating" a MDL.

The answer is that it doesn;t update it ... it assigns a completely new random GUID.

Very annoying ... and I'd highly recommend people don't use it.