• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS [GUIDE] Converting Aircraft from FSX to MSFS

Country
australia
It's not legacy, it sets the inital reference point that all camera definitions will start from. InitialXYZ is the offset from the eyepoint. Without eyepoint the datum is 0,0,0.

It's exactly the same as FSX, the main difference with camera definitions now is that negative camera pitch is down in MSFS instead of up in FSX
e.g. InitialPBH = -10,0,0
In FSX this would be 10 deg up
in MSFS this is 10 deg down

Country
germany
Nothing but CTDs with converted FSX flyable aircraft, in some cases not even a CVT was created, since the so called update yesterday, that took hours again to download. I have endured the permanent destruction of my work over the past months with patience at every update, but now I'm done. For developers, MSFS is an unreliable platform to work on, just a waste of life time. Very regrettable ...

Country
australia
Nothing but CTDs with converted FSX flyable aircraft, in some cases not even a CVT was created, since the so called update yesterday, that took hours again to download. I have endured the permanent destruction of my work over the past months with patience at every update, but now I'm done. For developers, MSFS is an unreliable platform to work on, just a waste of life time. Very regrettable ...
This is why you should be doing a full native conversion!

Legacy products are NOT first class citizens and so they don't care if stuff breaks with an update. They ONLY test the new technology and not backwards compat. The only thing that broke on the Goose was stuff I hadn't yet converted to ModelBehaviours, so shame on me.

Country
unitedstates
Where would I look to find what controls the animations-like how to open canopy? Would it be the same keys as FSX?
Thanks

Country
germany
Well, my "honeymoon" with MSFS started very promising and enthusiastic 4 months ago, I endured the constant "updates" with endless download times, causing trouble in a row, wasting my time dealing with the consequences of the updates, and they eventually destroyed my HSST project now, which is based on the legacy MDL technology. MCX may be solution, but Arno refuses to be of any help here.

After doing very less in the MS addon development area in the past years, it first seemed to me like some sort of a comeback with new MSFS.

The latest SDK ist still marked as a danger to the MS10 system at the end of the download? However, the official forum is full of reports about errors again - like after every update -, CTDs, stucked loadings, weird instrumental and model behaviour, the FDE's for inbuilt flyable aircraft are really the worst I have seen over all of the MS FS versions in the past 20 years, scenery errors; even some reports popped up in the past days about scenery buildings hovering meters above the ground in the air; the version number is "1.12.13.0", they included a "13"; do I have to show them how to do it to avoid the impression of mental deficiency? I'm really fed up, and I'm increasingly angry ...

Still thinking about what might be more risky, developing scenery or FDE's. The new configfile only based FDE system lacks of some features previously included in the legacy airfiles; they are needed to make AI aircraft fly well. So, either we may have good working AI FDE's based on the legacy technology, on call until they withdraw MDL support, or not so good working AI FDE's based on the new config file only technology.

I will not return to FS9, since it is outdated in every way, and also, I will not switch to any other simulator like P3D. I had serious health issues in the past few years and just trying to recover from a bad COVID-19 infection - which I acquired at work - on top of that, like way too many others these days; so, there are enough indications that life is finite, and that I should spent my rest of life time wisely, instead of wasting time with developing projects that may be useless or worthless because of the moody mood of Asobo or anything else later.

Any future sim or SDK "update" may ruin something or even everything I have developed irreversibly at a later point. This also applies to commercial providers of addons, plus their buyers. And after every "update", there is again and again the heart attack-related psychological terror when I want to see if everything is still working.

I have warned myself explicitly hereby ...

Well, my "honeymoon" with MSFS started very promising and enthusiastic 4 months ago, I endured the constant "updates" with endless download times, causing trouble in a row, wasting my time dealing with the consequences of the updates, and they eventually destroyed my HSST project now, which is based on the legacy MDL technology. MCX may be solution, but Arno refuses to be of any help here.

After doing very less in the MS addon development area in the past years, it first seemed to me like some sort of a comeback with new MSFS.

The latest SDK ist still marked as a danger to the MS10 system at the end of the download? However, the official forum is full of reports about errors again - like after every update -, CTDs, stucked loadings, weird instrumental and model behaviour, the FDE's for inbuilt flyable aircraft are really the worst I have seen over all of the MS FS versions in the past 20 years, scenery errors; even some reports popped up in the past days about scenery buildings hovering meters above the ground in the air; the version number is "1.12.13.0", they included a "13"; do I have to show them how to do it to avoid the impression of mental deficiency? I'm really fed up, and I'm increasingly angry ...

Still thinking about what might be more risky, developing scenery or FDE's. The new configfile only based FDE system lacks of some features previously included in the legacy airfiles; they are needed to make AI aircraft fly well. So, either we may have good working AI FDE's based on the legacy technology, on call until they withdraw MDL support, or not so good working AI FDE's based on the new config file only technology.

I will not return to FS9, since it is outdated in every way, and also, I will not switch to any other simulator like P3D. I had serious health issues in the past few years and just trying to recover from a bad COVID-19 infection - which I acquired at work - on top of that, like way too many others these days; so, there are enough indications that life is finite, and that I should spent my rest of life time wisely, instead of wasting time with developing projects that may be useless or worthless because of the moody mood of Asobo or anything else later.

Any future sim or SDK "update" may ruin something or even everything I have developed irreversibly at a later point. This also applies to commercial providers of addons, plus their buyers. And after every "update", there is again and again the heart attack-related psychological terror when I want to see if everything is still working.

I have warned myself explicitly hereby ...
Sounds like you need a break. Do you really have to put yourself through all this if you feel you cant take it? There are other hobbies you know...

Country
germany
Is there something you can do to enable VR on converted aircraft? The sim crashes as soon as I try to launch it

Country
australia
Question about the AIR to CFG master sheet.

In the Flight Model tab shouldn't 341 be elevators_scaling_table (like 342 and 343 are ailerons and rudder are scaling) and table 517 is elevators_elasticity_table (this is written in the cell above 517).

Country
australia
Question about the AIR to CFG master sheet.

In the Flight Model tab shouldn't 341 be elevators_scaling_table (like 342 and 343 are ailerons and rudder are scaling) and table 517 is elevators_elasticity_table (this is written in the cell above 517).
Thanks for picking that up. Not sure when that changed.

Country
australia
Looks like someone was trying to be helpful and messed it up
1617489704472.png

This is why I've removed edit access LOL, Happy to take all update suggestions here :D

Country
canada
Don't know if this will help here is a copy from my update 2020/10/13

Attachments

• AIR to CFG Master Sheet.zip
    36.3 KB · Views: 313
Country
sweden
I´ve tried to convert a Swedish airforce aircraft with the Legacy program but in legacy option mode it turn the aircraft upsidedown...and the panel is crap- what can I do?

Attachments

• J35 62-2.JPG
    J35 62-2.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Sadly I cannot convert my JF Chipmunk or Hawk T1 using the plane converter. It is in there but no model visible and yes I have the two internal and external models required. I also tried the detailed method in this thread on the Hawk but the basic model is still missing andthe two pilot models (which do appear) spiral around in mid air presumanly because with there is no aerodynamics section in the original aircraft.cfg so I left it blank . Also I didn't quite understand the .air file part because I have the original and 'extracting the data from the .air file' didn't make sense because whilst it tells me how to open it (been there before) it didn't say what I was to extract or where to put it. I think that's goodbye to my much loved Chippie but we're not too far off the JF Hawk for 2020 so I'll just have to wait.