FSX GUIDs

Okay, this may be an insanely ridiculous question but, I don't have an answer so... I'll be ridiculous then! Hehehe!!!

So, I want to start a mission from the exterior view. I know how to do this in the flt file by selecting the view GUID and setting rotation, zoom, etc. However I'm curious... are the GUIDs used for camera positions, etc. the same across FSX? Meaning, if I were to set this line in a flt file:

Code:
CurrentCamera={BCA3FDD1-FB83-4BBA-8407-4922A7F0D00C}
would that be the same GUID on everyone else's system and call the exterior view camera? Or are the GUIDs all generated by FSX during installation, as they are generated each time you add something in the OPT?

Thanks!

~ John

Horst18519

Staff member
Resource contributor
You cannot call those cameras from the mission xml if that's what you mean. You can only control exterior cameras there (the widescreen mission cameras).

But if you save the FLT file in spot view, tower view or whatever view you like, the flight will be started in that view.
Cameras in FLT files have the higher priority, so no matter what the user has in his cameras.cfg file, the FLT file cameras are used.

Yeah, I'm using the flt to define the camera location and it works fine on mine. Here's what I'm getting at though.

This is what's in my flt file:

Code:
[Window.1]
Order=0
Active=True
Undocked=False
Maximized=True
ScreenUniCoords=0, 0, 8192, 6144
UndocCoords=0, 0, 0, 0
CurrentCamera={BCA3FDD1-FB83-4BBA-8407-4922A7F0D00C}

[Camera.1.4]
Guid={BCA3FDD1-FB83-4BBA-8407-4922A7F0D00C}
Zoom=1
Translation=0, 0, 0
ChaseDirection=90
ChaseDistance=45.0
ChaseAltitude=45.0
My only concern is with the GUID used to define the camera. Will it be the same on everyone else's system? Meaning, if I give you this flight file, will this:
Code:
Guid={BCA3FDD1-FB83-4BBA-8407-4922A7F0D00C}
call the same exterior camera position? Does "BCA3FDD1-etc..." ALWAYS on every system call the exterior camera view? Just wondering if I need to use a routine to read each player's camera definitions and use that or, if they are always all the same across all installations of FSX.

Just checked out the camera.cfg file. So I guess the simplest way to put it is, does every installation of FSX utilize the same camera.cfg? If not, then I may have to read that file in and pull the spot view GUID from it in every case.

Horst18519

Staff member
Resource contributor
That's a misunderstanding. There are no GUIDs hardcoded in FSX with FSX calling some special camera if a special GUID is called. The GUID is just used for FSX to identify the camera in the flight.
Chose whatever GUID you like, if you save the FLT in spot view it will start in spot view, for you and for everyone.