• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 HAAB v2 Freeware for P3Dv4/5 (test version released)

Country
germany
Hi everybody,

already quite a while ago I have started going back to my first (also my most loved and most hated) FS project - Addis Ababa, HAAB.
Since I have created the first version of my scenery back in 2013/14, the airport has undergone a lot of changes, updates and expansions, and I wanted to bring it to its current state. Here is a little comparison between the airport's state I modelled in my original version and it's current state:

HAAB3.jpg

You can tell, there was quite a bit I had to update/add. Beyond that, my modelling skills have improved a little bit since the first release. Eventually I ended up re-making almost everything from scratch... I only kept some of the peripheral buildings from the first version of the scenery. I have also fixed some of the old version's biggest nuisances such as the blurry runway textures, and I am fairly happy with the result - see the screenshots:

HAAB1.jpg

HAAB2.jpg

The new version is also optimized for AI traffic, OpenLC Africa (blends in nicely, really adds a lot of athmosphere to the approach & area of Addis Ababa!) and GSXv2 (for movable jetways), but neither of the two AddOns is required for the scenery. It works with default LC and I have custom modelled static jetways for those who dont own GSXv2.

ETH-2020-apr-16-007.jpg

... so far so good. To be honest, this has been sitting on my harddrive for quite some time now, 95% finished, theoretically ready, but forgotten, because I had a lot going on last year that kept me from looking into flight simulation.
In addition, frankly, there are still some issues with the flatten/elevation/afcad that I was never able to fix. It frustrated me, it demotivated me, it made me forget about this project for a few months.

It would be a shame if this never came to release though, I have put a lot of effort into this update so I finally want to fix the elevation problems for good and release this...
That said, please help me figure out what the **** is going wrong with my afcad/flatten:

HAAB-2021-apr-22-001.jpg

This is what it looks like when I load the sim for the first time or when I load the sim at any other airport and fly to HAAB without reloading (e.g. load the sim at HKJK and do a 100% "normal" flight to HAAB). The taxiways/runways are displayed at the correct elevation but everything in between is "sunken" to the (wrong) default elevation.

Weirdly, just opening the scenery library once or refreshing it in any other way (making the sim to reload the scenery) will make the issue disappear. Almost all of my testers have reported the same issue. It doesnt load correctly initially but once you reload the sim after it has rendered Addis Ababa it will work. (Both in P3Dv4 and P3Dv5 btw.)

Is there any experience / knowledge out here what might cause that issue and how to fix it? I'd appreciate any help & input I can get!

Once this is fixed the scenery is ready to be released :)

Country
us-texas
So if your testers are having the same issue, then it probably isn't due to interference with some other third-party scenery.

What AI traffic program are you using? If you are using, for example, AI Traffic Professional, then you want to remove or deactivate br2_HAAB.bgl in that scenery folder. Same goes for ORBX Vector, there is a terrain elevation adjustment file there that might need to be deactivated.

But again, I have to doubt that is the cause since it is unlikely all your testers are using the same AI package AND Orbx Vector also... and if they were, that probably still wouldn't explain this behavior with the way the scenery library is loading or not loading. That is weird, for sure.

Country
germany
@Ripcord

Thank you for the hints! I have used different AI programs and tested the scenery in a fresh P3D installation as well - the issue remains the same. I doubt it is caused by interfering with 3rd party addons, too.

Funnily, @JanAir15 , who has helped me with the elevation bugs for the last version already, is one of my only testers who didnt have this issue. As far as I understand he uses Vector (and has it's elev. correction for HAAB activated). Seems like that would be one fix for the issue but obviously I cannot make my scenery depend on Vector...

Country
us-texas
Magnus that is interesting. This suggests you might only need to do an elevation adjustment and a proper flatten file for the immediate area around the airport.

For whatever reason, I have my AEC_HAAB.bgl file inactivated in my ORBX files. I am not sure why. The only scenery I ever used for HAAB was your previous version - well except for the one that is provided with the AI traffic package.

Country
germany
I believe that is what both me and Jan have done/tried before. Fixed the wrong default elevation in ADE and created a flatten/exclude for the area around the airport.
And it works perfectly fine when it is loading... The question remains - why does it fail to load sometimes... It's weird.

Country
germany
Wow scenery looks very good hope that someone get it fixed :)
I had the same issue with an other scenery with p3d5 did not found a fix yet...maybe we should request an Support ticket at P3d forum

Country
us-texas
Sure I can give it a look - not sure it will help, but why not? Least I could do for all the great stuff you have contributed over the years.

Country
unitedstates
Hopefully some good news/ development update on this scenery, Really wanting to fly to HAAB in the Sim.

All the best to the team developing this to make it available asap!

Country
nigeria
Hi everybody,

already quite a while ago I have started going back to my first (also my most loved and most hated) FS project - Addis Ababa, HAAB.
Since I have created the first version of my scenery back in 2013/14, the airport has undergone a lot of changes, updates and expansions, and I wanted to bring it to its current state. Here is a little comparison between the airport's state I modelled in my original version and it's current state:

View attachment 72426

You can tell, there was quite a bit I had to update/add. Beyond that, my modelling skills have improved a little bit since the first release. Eventually I ended up re-making almost everything from scratch... I only kept some of the peripheral buildings from the first version of the scenery. I have also fixed some of the old version's biggest nuisances such as the blurry runway textures, and I am fairly happy with the result - see the screenshots:

View attachment 72427
View attachment 72428

The new version is also optimized for AI traffic, OpenLC Africa (blends in nicely, really adds a lot of athmosphere to the approach & area of Addis Ababa!) and GSXv2 (for movable jetways), but neither of the two AddOns is required for the scenery. It works with default LC and I have custom modelled static jetways for those who dont own GSXv2.

View attachment 72433

... so far so good. To be honest, this has been sitting on my harddrive for quite some time now, 95% finished, theoretically ready, but forgotten, because I had a lot going on last year that kept me from looking into flight simulation.
In addition, frankly, there are still some issues with the flatten/elevation/afcad that I was never able to fix. It frustrated me, it demotivated me, it made me forget about this project for a few months.

It would be a shame if this never came to release though, I have put a lot of effort into this update so I finally want to fix the elevation problems for good and release this...
That said, please help me figure out what the **** is going wrong with my afcad/flatten:

View attachment 72434
This is what it looks like when I load the sim for the first time or when I load the sim at any other airport and fly to HAAB without reloading (e.g. load the sim at HKJK and do a 100% "normal" flight to HAAB). The taxiways/runways are displayed at the correct elevation but everything in between is "sunken" to the (wrong) default elevation.

Weirdly, just opening the scenery library once or refreshing it in any other way (making the sim to reload the scenery) will make the issue disappear. Almost all of my testers have reported the same issue. It doesnt load correctly initially but once you reload the sim after it has rendered Addis Ababa it will work. (Both in P3Dv4 and P3Dv5 btw.)

Is there any experience / knowledge out here what might cause that issue and how to fix it? I'd appreciate any help & input I can get!

Once this is fixed the scenery is ready to be released :)
I can help if you haven't fixed it

Country
jamaica
That's excellent news. HAAB has been my favorite hub for flying Ethiopian Airlines Virtual. Truly looking forward to when this is released.
- Rixon

Country
sweden
Looking good! I really like the HAAB scenery and I'm looking forward to the update! Is the stand numbers updated to the current ones? The Navigraph charts for HAAB doesn't match the current scenery so I hope they will be updated as well.

Country
germany
also hope for an update from Magnus:) is it confirmed that the problem was 'solved' and airport is now beta ?