Hangar doors behaving badly

:) Hi there,

I have a question about something odd that is happening during a scene export from Gmax.
I'm having a go at building the pentagonal shaped PAA Marine Hangar at La Guardia. I am adding animated doors and in GMax they work fine. I thought I would try and activate them with Arno's CAT program. :cat: (First time for me....)
The doors turn upward over the horizontal axle.

Exporting the selected scene with makemdl (for 2004) works with no error message.
But the result is a Hangar with the 4 big doors floating in mid air.
What is going on here? :confused:
If I export the scene with the former makemdl program, the result is good. Doors are correctly in position.
So my questions are:
1/ Is it better to always export animated GMax scenes with the older makemdl program?
2/ Could the error be in the nomenclature I used for the doors? (called them DOOR01, DOOR02, etc)

Anybody have an idea what could cause this?

Here is a link to 2 screen shots of the "mystery" :scratchch

http://home.hetnet.nl/~laguardia/odd_hangar.html

Groeten,
Jaap

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Jaap,

That is a nice piece of modern architecture, such floating doors :D

Jaap de Baare said:
1/ Is it better to always export animated GMax scenes with the older makemdl program?
No, if you are working for Fs2004 the new gamepack is better in general. Did you do some scaling or something like that on the hangar? Sometimes there are small differences between the two gamepacks (although I have never seen this before).

Jaap de Baare said:
2/ Could the error be in the nomenclature I used for the doors? (called them DOOR01, DOOR02, etc)
The name should not have any influence. When you are going to animate them you should use a prefix of tick18_ but for the rest the name does not matter.

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your quick answer.

Yes it is quite modern !!
But there's a bit of a draft with those doors up there :rotfl:

You said for the names I should use prefix of tick18_.
Not sure I know what that is.

Is there a list of those prefixes and how to use them?

Groeten,
Jaap

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Jaap,

These prefixes are listed in the MakeMDL SDK. The Tick18 is needed for the animations, without it the animation will not show in FS.

Two questions Jaap, 1)are those doors opaque (<100%) and 2) do you have an xf (obslight I'm thinking) located on or around your building?

Hello Tachyon,

The doors are just normal box forms with a normal texture on it and an alpha texture to get the "see through" windows in them.

The location is the default KLGA La Guardia airport. Just put it there to see how everything looked. I don't think there is a xf (obslight) there that is on or around the building, at least not that I am aware of, and I did not add one.

I added the tick18_ prefix to the name of the export, but with the same result. If I added that prefix also to the doors themselves in Gmax, and exported the file, the doors are still free floating, but now they actually show the animation. (Funny sight those swiveling doors up in the air :scratchch )

Just to see what would happen, I also made a quick hangar with one upward swiveling door, no textures on them. Again the result is a hangar, with a free floating door in front of it, up in the air.

The animation consists of two movements:
One is a rotation of about 80 degrees, and the other is a travel from down to up. So the movement is a door sliding upward, and in the meantime swiveling the top into the hangar. The rotation point is down at the bottom of the door. Looks neat in GMax :)

I can send you the simple hangar GMax file if you want to have a look at it.
See if you can duplicate the error.

Regards,
Jaap

Jaap, not able to diagnose ur problem from the description, but I'm happy to look at your gmax files. I've not had problems like you describe. I'm guessing its may be to do with where your gizmo is located on your door. Perhaps its located below the part and you've told xml the elevation for the door is 0?

Bob Bernstein