• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX:SE Hanger Built - needs lighting and animation

Country
unitedkingdom
Can you upload (as a RAR file??) the FSX XtoMdl.exe and I will test exporting to FSX and then importing. Cannot believe FSX SE does not support transparency. As an aside, the hanger lighting I use does not include a transparent shade. The Empties sit in front of the light model, so try removing the transparent shade and see if you at least get the light effect - looks ok apart from during the day when it is obvious there is no shade. Bit of a downer if this does not work as, in my opinion, the hanger windows look great with "glass" rather than nothing!

Country
unitedkingdom
Ok - I think the light has dawned! The SDK you should use with FSX SE is

Prepar3D v1 SDK 1.4.4747.0​

see the link https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/can-i-use-the-sdk-tools-addons-with-fsx-se.444148/ and where to download I have just done so and installed.

1) Install the SDK and in MCX Exporter BGLWriter settings update FSX BGLCOMP path to point to the bglcomp file in the SDK
and in MODELWriter settings update FSX xtomdl path to point to xtomdl file in the SDK
2) In the MCX FS related settings keep the modeldefpath pointing to the P3D v5.3 SDK
With this setup you are using the P3DV5 SDK to interface with the Blender P3D/FDSX toolset to produce .x and .mdl files. (You will use .mdl file output if you have animations - when we get to SODE controlled animations - does FSX SE support SODE?? You can check this when you have the time).
As you rightly said, FSX SE does not support PBR textures, so we have to indeed use SPECULAR.
In the RAR file is a specular version of the LightPathway Blender file. There is also the resulting .x file the toolset produced. I inputted this .x file to MCX and saw the transparent shade.
I then successfully exported the model from MCX as an FSX .mdl file (buy having MCX correctly pointing to the P3DV1 SDK). I then imported the FSX.mdl file to MCX and again saw the transparent shade. SUCCESS - I hope. You need to see if you can successfully convert/place the model into FSX SE.

Observations: In Blender using specular textures, the transparent shade has to have Blend = Alpha Blend and further down (past the texture definitions) under Framebuffer Blend, SET Transparency button must be pushed - the opaque shade turns to a rather cloudy transparency. If you were to work on the filament or Empties you would wish to hide the shade first. By the way, to get the transparent texture for the shade it is simply a Photoshop light blue on a transparent canvas with the transparency of the blue layer set to 10%.

I really hope the above does the trick. Have a good inspection of the Blender file to understand how it is constructed and let me know how you get on.

Attachments

• Specular.rar
    573.1 KB · Views: 62

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
@Sengl1er

Seems to me you figured out the Os Error. The correct SDK not being found.

Also, noticed in another thread of yours that you are trying to use a blender's empty as an attachpoint. That is not how attachpoints for effects work in FSX or P3D.
You need to use the attach point tool within the toolset.

Country
unitedkingdom
@Sengl1er

Seems to me you figured out the Os Error. The correct SDK not being found.

Also, noticed in another thread of yours that you are trying to use a blender's empty as an attachpoint. That is not how attachpoints for effects work in FSX or P3D.
You need to use the attach point tool within the toolset.
Afraid not Pyscen. The issues with running Blender 2.83 with Windows 11 and P3D 5.3HF1 SDK remain. If you read the documentation on the P3D/FSX toolset that is the recommended method and it works fine. There may also be other methods as you say but I am using A recommended method. The issue with the Windows 11 platform is that the .x and .mdl outputs (depending on what one is trying to do) are flawed - but, as I said in my other post, I have workarounds.
This post is all about a fellow member trying to use Blender2P3D/FSX with Blender for output to FSX SE. FSX SE is not supported and has no SDK. BUT, an old P3D SDK will work with it (see post ref above). However, we have to use the P3D V5 SDK wit the toolset. he "DAWNING LIGHT" I have found is that ONLY in MCX do we also point to the old PRD SDK for MCX output/input to FSX SE. As FSX SE does not support PBR materials, we are now outputting a SPECULAR model to a P3DV5 .x model. We input this to MCX and then output to an FSX .mdl file. When imported back into MCX the FSX .mdl file retains its transparency (my glass shade in the LightPathway model).
What now remains is for the member to test the convert/place the FSX .mdl file into FSX SE (as he is the only one with FSX SE.

Country
unitedkingdom
I very quick test with blender 2.9 did work so I will redo all yesterday's work

Bugger

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Country
unitedkingdom
I was thinking that something simple and see how it goes, I'm back in work today.... Fun fact I can't install 2.9 via an installer had to use Microsoft Store

Suspecting my PC has a few gremlins

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Afraid not Pyscen. The issues with running Blender 2.83 with Windows 11 and P3D 5.3HF1 SDK remain. If you read the documentation on the P3D/FSX toolset that is the recommended method and it works fine. There may also be other methods as you say but I am using A recommended method. The issue with the Windows 11 platform is that the .x and .mdl outputs (depending on what one is trying to do) are flawed - but, as I said in my other post, I have workarounds.
This post is all about a fellow member trying to use Blender2P3D/FSX with Blender for output to FSX SE. FSX SE is not supported and has no SDK. BUT, an old P3D SDK will work with it (see post ref above). However, we have to use the P3D V5 SDK wit the toolset. he "DAWNING LIGHT" I have found is that ONLY in MCX do we also point to the old PRD SDK for MCX output/input to FSX SE. As FSX SE does not support PBR materials, we are now outputting a SPECULAR model to a P3DV5 .x model. We input this to MCX and then output to an FSX .mdl file. When imported back into MCX the FSX .mdl file retains its transparency (my glass shade in the LightPathway model).
What now remains is for the member to test the convert/place the FSX .mdl file into FSX SE (as he is the only one with FSX SE.

Concerning the OS Error - I wasn't referring to your situation actually. The OS Error happens when the SDK is not installed properly or otherwise, the Toolset has been installed and Activated prior to the SDK being installed. If the OS Error occurs: 1st: you must remove the toolset from Blender and 2nd:, install the SDK correctly. If the SDK is not installed in the default location you must initialize it manually and this must be done continually.

Also, if using Windows 11, it would be best to install Blender v2.93.xx and not use Blender v2.83.xx.

I know about P3D SDK v1.4 for FSX: SE. I was here when that all occurred and helped others in that when it was a problem. The original poster will not be able to use your model using the "Dawning LIght", no matter what P3D SDK is used. While testing your model, I tried using previous FS SDK to help determine what is happening and none but P3D v5.3 was able to compile it (even P3D SDK v1.4 was unable to compile it, including use with MCX).

I have not found anywhere in the wiki that suggests using a Blender's "Empty" to attach an attach point for effects. So, if you could, give me a link that actually states this. The errors that I was getting from your model were referring to the "effect" wasn't attached to anything - no parent (that is from using the ".x file"). That is the reason why it isn't being compiled with the effect. You taking the mdl to MCX isn't really a workaround because at that point the effect isn't there. You are just adding the effect and adding it correctly so that is compiled.

Actually, FSX: SE does support PBR but they are named differently. PBR doesn't mean metallic, Ambient Occlusion, roughness, and/ or smoothness are involved. PBR means Physically Based Rendering; A specular map can be PBR if is done properly. The only difference really is how the Albedo/ Diffuse is used by the shader engine (P3D or FSX: SE).

Country
unitedkingdom
OK it's been a busy night family wise which ment by the time I got around to starting my now repaired Blender 2.9 installation I didnt accomplish very much. So I've decided to list out what I'm trying to achieve and see whether we can clear things up again so we're all speaking from the same hymnbook so to speak.

What am I currently using?

> Flight Sim
- FSX:SE
> SDK - p3d v1.2 (FSX:SE)
> Blender - 2.9.3 LTS
> Toolset -0.98.34

What am I trying to achieve?

I've modelled a hanger to place at my local airfield (EGNH) and the using ADE I have added a parking spot so the building is 'useable' The hanger is just a 3D shell so to speak, that is to say textures and mesh but that's it. I have modelled lights and doors (although had to remove doors in order to park in the hanger).

I am wanting the hanger to have day/night lighting so the lights operate during the night. And I'm wanted the doors to be interactive via SODE (like jetways) so I can call a function to activate them to open so I can taxy the aircraft in and out of the elements.

I need clear instruction applicable to FSX:SE SDK and assistance this a large undertaking for me I've worked out modelling and basic texturing but the interactivity is confusing me as I have no idea where to start......

As always thank you for your help and patence, if you're wondering why I'm not using p3d v5? Well it's simple I cannot justify the cost of purchasing PMDG and QW for that and then again for MSFS...... Plus FSX:SE currently is stable and working well despite balancing the OOM issues.

Country
unitedkingdom
Seems to be now two ways to install Blender. If you look further down the web page you will see the traditional Windows link.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi virtualpilot1460, I know exactly what u are trying to achieve. SODE Animation is straightforward and I can guide you. At present, all we are trying to do is to see if Blender and Blender2P3D/FSX toolset can be used to create GLASS and LIGHT EFFECTS in FSX SE. I appreciate where u are at re the simulator (P3D is not cheap). My experience is in using Blender to create P3D environment scenery but I THINK you can also use it for an FSX SE simulator - we will see!
Install the P3D V1 SDK but keep the PRDv5 SDK installed and have Blender pointing to it. All Blender exports will be for a P3D simulator. But if you configure MCX for both P3DV5 AND FSX SE (as detailed earlier), u can convert the model to that for FSX SE.
An easy way for u to verify - I have already given you the final FSX SE model file Light_Pathway_Specular_FSX.mdl in the RAR upload. Try inputting this to the configured MCX and then use MCX wizard to convert/place in FSX SE and see what you get - no light during the day, light effect DAWN, DUSK, NIGHT all within a glass shade. Let me know how this goes.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
OK it's been a busy night family wise which ment by the time I got around to starting my now repaired Blender 2.9 installation I didnt accomplish very much. So I've decided to list out what I'm trying to achieve and see whether we can clear things up again so we're all speaking from the same hymnbook so to speak.

What am I currently using?

> Flight Sim
- FSX:SE
> SDK - p3d v1.2 (FSX:SE)
> Blender - 2.9.3 LTS
> Toolset -0.98.34
@virtualpilot1460

Can you verify your SDK is v1.2? It should be v1.4. The current version for FSX: SE should be P3D SDK v1.4. You can download it here.

Country
unitedkingdom
Ok let's start again. Tonight I will download the v5 SDK and point blender and mcx to it if I understand you correctly

THEN make some glass and export on the v5 SDK before converting it to FSX SDK

Is that your vision

Sorry I'm new to the SDK side of life

Not sure if v1.2 or 1.4 as I was away from comp I'll check tonight

Yeah I ment 1.4

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Ok - I think the light has dawned! The SDK you should use with FSX SE is

Prepar3D v1 SDK 1.4.4747.0​

see the link https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/can-i-use-the-sdk-tools-addons-with-fsx-se.444148/ and where to download I have just done so and installed.

1) Install the SDK and in MCX Exporter BGLWriter settings update FSX BGLCOMP path to point to the bglcomp file in the SDK
and in MODELWriter settings update FSX xtomdl path to point to xtomdl file in the SDK
2) In the MCX FS related settings keep the modeldefpath pointing to the P3D v5.3 SDK
With this setup you are using the P3DV5 SDK to interface with the Blender P3D/FDSX toolset to produce .x and .mdl files. (You will use .mdl file output if you have animations - when we get to SODE controlled animations - does FSX SE support SODE?? You can check this when you have the time).
As you rightly said, FSX SE does not support PBR textures, so we have to indeed use SPECULAR.
In the RAR file is a specular version of the LightPathway Blender file. There is also the resulting .x file the toolset produced. I inputted this .x file to MCX and saw the transparent shade.
I then successfully exported the model from MCX as an FSX .mdl file (buy having MCX correctly pointing to the P3DV1 SDK). I then imported the FSX.mdl file to MCX and again saw the transparent shade. SUCCESS - I hope. You need to see if you can successfully convert/place the model into FSX SE.

Observations: In Blender using specular textures, the transparent shade has to have Blend = Alpha Blend and further down (past the texture definitions) under Framebuffer Blend, SET Transparency button must be pushed - the opaque shade turns to a rather cloudy transparency. If you were to work on the filament or Empties you would wish to hide the shade first. By the way, to get the transparent texture for the shade it is simply a Photoshop light blue on a transparent canvas with the transparency of the blue layer set to 10%.

I really hope the above does the trick. Have a good inspection of the Blender file to understand how it is constructed and let me know how you get on.
I have no idea how I missed that..... I'm getting somewhere I think

So If I try this on my Windows 11 Laptop which has my preset in for location - I get a 'golfball'

But If I load it up in my Windos 10 desktop its transparent I feel so thick and prooves my head is trying to do too much

Country
unitedkingdom
OK SUCCESS.... I'm now using MCX from my network share so now both machines are reading the same values..... Finally I have transparrent :)
20220420200120_1.jpg
20220420200202_1.jpg

Country
unitedkingdom
Good - you now know how to make glass in Blender and place it in FSX SE (a window glass pane is just a very flat cube with the same transparent material. Have a look at the excellent youtube video on the subject of making windows -
. Ignore the last part on making the glass - I dont think the author knows how!).
Can you confirm that you used MY FSX SE model to place. I see there is no light effect at night - you did place the light effect I gave you in the Effects folder of FSX SE???

Country
unitedkingdom
No I dont think I added the effects folder - I will add and post back

EDIT

I assume the effects go in the FSX root folder? Becuase I've done that and started the sim up again and still no light effects

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
In P3D there is a folder EFFECTS in the root folder. Is there an EFFECTS folder in FSX SE? - there must be for afterburner effects etc. If like P3D, it should be say C:program Files/FSX/Effects

Country
unitedkingdom
Yeah that folder is there and the FX file is in it. Wonder of the model is expecting it in a different location.... Anyway I will look Tomo or sat