• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Hard surface issue

Country
australia
This may of been addressed somewhere else here however I have not been able to find any info...
Ok I have made a model of a detailed elevated helipad.
ElevatedHelipadLandable3_zpscf8982c1.png
[/URL]
ElevatedHelipadLandable5_zps471a7886.png

When I go into the attached object editor and select auto platform, I leave the filter normal upwards at 1.000 and then I select the only with material and then choose the material I want to apply the hard surface too and then it looks like this.
c0868afb-4e12-4325-9083-f6887277c0b4_01_zps35d3929a.jpg
c0868afb-4e12-4325-9083-f6887277c0b4_01_zps35d3929a.jpg
[/URL]

The previous step is completed only after I have resized and converted the texture files where required. Then I export the model out for placement in the sim.
In the sim It looks great in my opinion, but the hard surface is about 6 feet below where it should be. Is there any way to fix this problem or manually adjust the height of the land able surface.

Note the axis indicator shows approximately where the hard surface is.

Here are some pics of my project.
helipad1_zps97c44290.png
helipad1_zps97c44290.png
[/URL]
helipad2_zps7d15c938.png
helipad2_zps7d15c938.png
[/URL]
helipad3_zps11aef2d4.png
helipad3_zps11aef2d4.png
[/URL]

Any help or information on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Hello. The attached object editor is really great, but I have had some issues trying to get it to work the way I want if I alter the default settings of the auto platform function. For your situation, I can think of three possible work-arounds. You can use the Add > Platform drop down and create the platform by establishing it's size, position and orientation on the model; you can use the auto platform function to create a hard surface on every horizontal plane in the model and then manually select and remove any unwanted polygons; or you can create a second model with the platform displaced to compensate for the offset. In the Object Hierarchy Viewer, you can delete all but the hard surface that you created for the displaced platform, save and then import that into your working model.

Country
spain
Mcx attach point tool, in the general options , you can change the height there. in "position" I can't remember which of the three values correspond to the height, I think it's the last one. you problably will have to reapply the platform again because once it's saved the platform is divided in many parts, at least in my case it's what happen.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
When you import your mdl again are the red polygons of the platform shown at the right location or too low?

Country
unitedkingdom
Don't you have to clone a surface to then attach the landable surface onto it?

Why not create a plane at the right height and tag this instead?

I wouldn't tag the whole object, it's probably that therein lies the problem.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
No need to clone in MCX, that's only in gmax.

If the geometry is very complex, it might be better to add a platform using the add menu and specify the height and width.

Country
australia
Thanks guys for your responses. I am willing to give all the options ago and see which on works best.

ARNO: to answer your question(When you import your mdl again are the red polygons of the platform shown at the right location or too low?") Yes the in the right location... which is why I was initially confused.. The MCX tool is awesome and If there was an award for contributions to the FS community, you would win it hands down mate..

As a side note and since you appear to be the tool god, what is the possibility of creating a tool/ program that can be run from within MCX, that can recognize all of the textures you have on your model, whether you have imported it as a DAE file from 3ds, gmax, fsds, Sketchup or any other cad program and it can then load all of the images/ textures from the model and redraw and map them all on one 2048 texture card ( or larger if required), that also applies alpha channels.

So like the Current MCX material editor, it will resize all of your textures, and remap them to a single texture card, apply any alphas that are required and then save it in the desired format.. Not sure if it is possible to do that, but that would certainly be a revolution in design. Personally, I think we would see a lots more really good models coming out for FSX and prepar3d....

Anyway thanks very much too all of you for your ongoing support and encouragement

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

The drawcall minimizer does roughly what you ask for combining textures into one sheet. Did you try it?

Country
germany
Just an idea, is it possible that the object does not have scale 1.0?
I had simular effects with not working platforms when scale is different.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Good point, for platforms they need to use scale 1.0 indeed, else the platform is wrong.