• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Helicopter horizontal speed 'curve' (adjusting a curve? )

Country
us-arizona
Hey all,

Can one adjust the horizontal thrust on a helicopter to be low on the bottom, and then near the middle, perhaps even 2/3rds into the power/cyclical range, the horizontal thrust finally kicks in? It would be a very odd curve where it was very low until past the half way point, then would rocket upwards.

Is this possible?

What I want is a helo that flies very smooth and calm at low power, and at full power, I want this thing to act like a rocket.

I had done this many years ago with the Blade Runner Spinner, but that was, I think FS2002, maybe FS2004. I could get 200 knots out of her, detuned the 'flies crooked' effect, etc, etc. But it just wasnt polished enough. I want 'really fast', like 800 knots or faster, but to hover very very nicely. Can a helo do this? Can the turbine thrust be adjusted to be higher but with a curve in the middle?

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
A helicopter’s horizontal thrust is a component of the lift from the rotor obtained by tilting the rotor disc with the cyclic control stick. The rotor still has to produce a vertical component equal to its weight to sustain horizontal flight. Lift comes from a rotating set of airfoil /blades. At any one moment one side of the rotor is advancing and other is retreating. The speed of the advancing side through the air is the sum of the true airspeed and the rotational velocity of the rotor measured at right angles to the blade axis. At some true airspeed that sum will be supersonic. On the other side there is a true airspeed where the retreating blade is going backwards at the same speed that the helicopter is moving forwards so it’s velocity relative to the airflow is zero. Those conditions represent the absolute speed limits on a helicopter and in either case the rotor lift would be zero in the stalled zero relative airflow and very low when the advancing blade tip goes supersonic. The rotor has not enough lift to keep the thing in the air and nothing left over for horizontal thrust.

Now, those are the facts of the situation. You could probably make something that looks like a helicopter, but flies like a jet in the sim in the same way as you can do a supersonic brick. Another fantasy airplane.
Roy

Country
italy
Hi, in heli model (B206) you may decrease a lot frontal and sides area and related drags, but adverse effects (strange accelerations, instabilities, tail fishing..) may come out at high speed. Also deceleration time will be affected.

And unluckly there isn't a parameter/scalar to increase only horizontal thrust component. You may adjust rotor Cl_min and _max, but you create a vertical rocket as well!