P3D v4 Help with mobile military vehicles

Hi,

just wonder if anybody is up for make some of my low poly models mobile. I am totally unfamiliar with creating mobile/movable vehicles but maybe some can use his skills to get life into it.

Compared with FS9 or FSX, there are only a few models to use as objects you can drive with in P3D.
So I would provide the models for you to add all needed things to make it mobile. A VC has to be created too. So what's the what?

=rk=

Resource contributor
I can tell you that it is really easy to learn to animate, compared to learning to model. I don't know your modeling program, there may be a pipeline. I use Sketchup, so my easiest route was to get a copy of FS Design Studio; I export my chassis and my wheels separately, use MCX to convert to .FSC format, for making simple keyframe animations. There are many, many tutorials on the internet and in the help section of FSDS, the vehicle wheels are fairly obvious as the parts of landing gear and the steering is controlled by the nose wheel animation.
Taking that concept further, I created leg articulations, parenting a calf to a thigh and linking the hips to those landing gear animations. I was able to drive this ramp worker around the tarmac, like a user vehicle, except with a semblance of walking:

Most recently I have been doing work with motion capture and I've had to severely curtail that development due to an extremely pressing work schedule, so I can at best offer encouragement.

Thank you. No, just for clarification: I don't need help to learn how to make my models move. I just want to offer them for cooperation with somebody who already has the skills to do it ;) .

=rk=

Resource contributor
You are most welcome, you didn't need to clarify. What you are asking for sounds a bit like Henry Ford offering to allow someone to put an engine in his automobile.

(I have one of those too)

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
Should the vehicles have a keframe animation, so that they drive in an endless repetition, or should the vehicles function as Simobjects that are programmed with a traffic tool?

=rk=

Resource contributor
It would probably be sufficient to mimic the default vehicles that function as both user and AI. It doesn't really matter how you create your animation, so long as the sim will render it and it is tagged properly.

=rk=

Resource contributor
I think just about one more post will make the task of animating vehicles equally laborious to the task of describing just how easy it is to do..

Thank you, Gaffer. No, I don't have enough time to learn the skills even to animate them by myself. I am fully stretched with my sceneries. I just thought about to give someone the models to possibly get live into it.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Who is Gaffer? And yes, it is very generous of you. Make sure to have the altered use provision in the readme of the models, because I'm sure eventually someone will want your excellent models animated, instead of his own. There, even more polish on describing the idea of development, on a developers site.

Who is Gaffer? And yes, it is very generous of you. Make sure to have the altered use provision in the readme of the models, because I'm sure eventually someone will want your excellent models animated, instead of his own. There, even more polish on describing the idea of development, on a developers site.
Thank you, Rick. Yes, I think - if somebody will decide to work on the models - we could release it as a common project. Just surprised that no one is about doing it because half of the work is already done....
Gaffer is the guy behind UKMIL, a really great UK flightsim and developer site. They did some impressive aircraft, logically mostly Royal Airforce ones. Great stuff:

http://www.ukmil.org.uk/news.php

=rk=

Resource contributor
Ukmil was a great source of inspiration. Most of my first scenery projects were composed using sourced models. In my KHIO Hillsboro scenery, I was proud to feature Kazunori Ito's Cirrus Vision, he'd given me permission to include.

I really enjoyed going to the Sketchup warehouse, as well as scouring the internet for suitable and suitably permitted models. I'll give you an excellent example. A few years ago I started on a representation of the South China Sea.

It's quite fantastic, imo, 3 islands, multiple AI planes, helo's and patrol vessels. I've run out of steam and likely will never publish, unless someone else finishes populating, or I have a stroke or something. Anyway, recently China announced a new UAV for replenishment of these islands.

So naturally I had to have one - but I did not want to devote a large chunk of concentration for developing a reasonable facsimile, if one could be sourced using my sleuthing. I learned the AT200, like most Chinese products, was copied from a design by Pacific Aerospace Corporation of New Zealand. Further research located this PAC Cresco by Deane Baunton, also of New Zealand:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/show...esco-by-Deane-Baunton-New-STOL-Turbo-Freeware

Which became this:

Aside from cases like the Cresco - in which Deane's skill is far beyond mine, the model is absolutely phenomenal and I imagine quite a few people will seek it out and enjoy it on the basis of this endorsement alone - I've largely stopped using sourced models. There are enough issues with conversion and the simulator visual fidelity is low enough, that it is usually easier and more practical for me to simply create the model representations.