• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Helper shape poly line results in closed poly - after vertex deletes

Country
us-newmexico
Sometimes, when I use an ellipse to generate a poly line and then delete vertexes to create an arc, ADE closes the arc to create a polygon. I can't determine what factor is causing it to do this. Sometimes it does it. Sometimes it doesn't. However, when it does, my line is rendered useless and I have to start over from scratch. This is a situation where arc is not suitable since arc is always a circle segment and most curves don't conform to a pure arc.

Is it known what factor determines when a string of vertexes create a line vs. a closed poly?

Thanks.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
What line? I assume you mean ADE is closing the GP line? What is closing the line ADE itself or the GP Editor?

GHD

Country
england
By definition, an ellipse is a closed contour. There isn't an option to create an elliptical arc.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Is it known what factor determines when a string of vertexes create a line vs. a closed poly?

In ADE it depends what you select from the Right Click Menu. If it is a poly then the result is a closed shape and if it is a line then it is open.

Country
us-newmexico
In ADE it depends what you select from the Right Click Menu. If it is a poly then the result is a closed shape and if it is a line then it is open.

1. add helper shape: ellipse.
2. Right click and select "make custom ground line"
3. Delete vertices to create arc.
4. End vertices are connected, making a closed polygon. (This is the problem)

I have created an arc this way where the end vertices didn't connect. The problem is there is no way to know when they connect and when they don't. I'm asking for a line (curve actually) but getting a poly.

Country
us-newmexico

By definition, an ellipse is a closed contour. There isn't an option to create an elliptical arc.

No, but there is an option to select "create custom line" from the context menu for an ellipse helper shape. And I've seen it work. A "line" corresponding to an ellipse would be an elliptical arc by definition.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
OK I will test it.

EDIT

It is doing what it was designed to do - creating a closed line - it is not a poly but a line. This is true of any closed helper shape that is converted into a custom ground line. This may not be the behaviour you wanted but that is how it is. An open line can be drawn by hand using a helper shape as a guide or an arc will create an open line. At the moment an arc is constrained to a circle but we have plans to create other arcs and curve helpers

Last edited:

Gaiiden

FSDevConf team
Country
unitedstates
At the moment an arc is constrained to a circle but we have plans to create other arcs and curve helpers

Good to hear. This post is the exact "problem" I had when I tried to make an arc line out of an ellipse helper shape when I realized the arc helper only worked in a circle. Look forward to the elliptical arc helper, in the meantime it's still copy/past vertices...

Country
us-newmexico
OK I will test it.

EDIT

It is doing what it was designed to do - creating a closed line - it is not a poly but a line. This is true of any closed helper shape that is converted into a custom ground line. This may not be the behaviour you wanted but that is how it is. An open line can be drawn by hand using a helper shape as a guide or an arc will create an open line. At the moment an arc is constrained to a circle but we have plans to create other arcs and curve helpers

It will create an arc if the sweep is less than 45 degrees, which we'll call a bonus feature. :) I do see your point about a closed line vs. arc. I don't know why I was thinking a line had to be open to be called a line. (!) Sorry to spin your wheels, Jon. I should have left this one in the hangar.

I've found that the arc tool provided is actually pretty good once you get the hang of resizing and positioning. Elliptical version would be brilliant.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
No worries. An elliptical arc is on the list.

Sent from my Sony Xperia with Tapatalk 2