• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Hopefully someone can save me time and or headaches.

Country
unitedstates
Hello everyone, I'm trying my hand at a little bit of airport enhancement and modeling. I have a student version of Max 2009. I have installed the latest P3d 4.x and latest SDK.

I installed both the 64/32 bit version of 3DSMax 2009 (student). All registration,serial number etc went fine with Autodesk. I then followed the steps here to install the 3ds Max plugins, using the 3DSM2009 plugins.

Obviously the 64bit Max won't work with 2009. However, the 32 bit loads up fine. Also, load as administrator. I can see my Aces Tools just fine. However, when I click on each tool, I get a tool not supported message. Did a search here, couldn't find any definitive info.

Am I going to be able to create/modify my airport in P3d4.3x with Max 2009 (student) using this SDK? I'm a noobie to all this. If I'm wasting my time working with Max 2009 and P3D4.3, are there any alternatives to accomplish my goal.

Could it be I didn't have any project loaded when clicking on each tool? Do I have to have something created for the tool to do anything? Any options or input appreciated. Right now I seem to be making EZ Hard for my goal. Some insight please.

Or, do I simply want to load the FSX SDk to use for my P3d4.x. Thanks again for any insight.

Best,
David

Country
us-arizona
I use the Prepar3D SDK. So I might not be of much help. But, that said, isnt there a setup program in the SDK that you click on and everything in the SDK is suddenly 'linked' to each other and then becomes fully functioning? I forget what its called. Something like... I just found it in an ancient FSX SDK folder I still had. Its called 'ConfigSDK.exe'. I think when you run that, then everything in the SDK is linked and suddenly it should all work.

Hope you get it running.

Bill
LHC

D

Deleted member 1281

Okay some stabs in the dark.

Yes, of course, start a project, just a cube. Give the project a GUID, or is that not possible to begin with?

Show a screenshot of your working screen and the menu bar and the error message.

Make doubly and 100% sure you are loading the 32-bit version, not the 64.

You could also test the SDK setup by loading and exporting something via ModelConverterX.

You could also install the rock bottom P3D V1.4 SDK, following the instructions on how to make it work with Max 2009. V1.4 isn't bad at all, I use it all the time myself, above all, it ensures FSX compatibility.

That's all the hints I can give atm.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
You're wasting your time trying to get Max 2009 to work with the SDK for P3D 4.x, it does not support versions of Max earlier than 2012. Use an earlier version of the SDK :– 1.4 does include support for Max 2009, as does v2.x. I don't remember if 3.x does, you'd need to check the download first.

I'm afraid the SDK documentation is not always as up to date as the tools.

Don't delete the 4.x SDK without at least backing up its version of XToMDL.exe to a safe location. The business of compiling a model is in two stages, whichever version you're building for. First export from Max, then compile the resulting .X (and .XANIM if there's animations) file to a .MDL with XToMDL. The correct version of XToMDL will be needed to compile native P3D 4.x models, although for scenery this might be unnecessary.

Hope this saves headaches, or even helps. ;)

Country
unitedstates
Hello Tom, this is exactly the info I was looking for to move forward. Thank You, you saved me a lot of time.
I'll check and see if version 3.x of SDK will work with Max2009. Thank You again for your info.
Apologies didn't respond sooner, just got in from flying a 3 day trip.

Best,
David