• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Hopefully the answer won't make me cry.

Country
us-texas
Hi fellas!

Been getting back to groundpounding and back to my favorite subject.... Oahu 1941.
Have been changing stock FSX Oahu and reverting it back to 1941. Well now I have to change the coastline.

I brought in my LWM BGL from FS9 into SBuilder 2.05.... and then exported into a shapefile.

Then took the shapefile and brought into FSX.

Now I understand the process of building an island... excluding out the water on the affected QMID 11 sections... then readding the water poly.

Next to add my new island.... and then use set as hole....

here's the problem.... my imported shapefile comes in at hundreds of polys! Do I have to do this one poly at a time?!?

Attachments

• oahu41.jpg
    oahu41.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 340
Country
us-illinois
Hello:

I feel your pain, as I've also done this once with a somewhat smaller area, except that I used a BLN file as an intermediate rather than a SHP file. :rolleyes:

I ended up using Global Mapper to edit out the numerous central LOD13-sized water poly lines (which were required by FS9 in HP*.BGL LWM files to create such scenery files... faithfully appended/exported by SBuilder), leaving eventually just the outer border of the poly.

In Global Mapper when imported as lines and point features, it was time-consuming and fraught with difficulty predicting what lines when deleted, might clobber others that then needed to be un-deleted; I'd like to think in SBuilderX there is an easier way to do this, but have not used it extensively so far.

I don't know if a more sophisticated solution to deal with eliminating the FS9 inner "LOD13 quad matrix residuals" has been implemented in SBuilderX yet, but I seem to recall that Luis Sa' had added some function that would automatically "clip" vector lines at the edges of LOD11 quad borders.

I'm wondering if that "clip" function could be used on a group of individually-selected LOD13 quad matrix cells in the center of the island shape to "convert or reduce complexity to quad size LOD11 rather than LOD13", so a minimum of manual editing (deleting/joining of line segments etc.) would be needed in SBuilderX with imported FS9 LOD13 quad scenery objects ? :confused:

Hope this helps, and I do hope Luis Sa' can also enlighten us on options (both existing ...and to be further developed) for more easily dealing with import of certain legacy FS9 scenery content into the FSX platform. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-texas
Boy I would hope so... I saw that and was like oh no!!!:eek:

I will get this done though.... my dream of Pearl in all the FSX glory will happen.

Country
us-hawaii
There's plenty of shapefiles of Oahu you can use, though they may need to be projected. The state has them in UTM NAD83 and the county in SPCS OHD (though the county is slowing transferring from OHD to NAD83). Since NAD83 = WGS84 for our purposes, you just need to reproject.

I attached some of the state data you might want to look at.

scott s.

Attachments

• Oahu.zip
    222.3 KB · Views: 267