• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX How can i make a new texture for aircraft?

Country
china
As tittile~i want to know how to edit a new texture for aircraft.im so interesting in making the aircraft's textures.but i can only change the old pattern into another pattern as what i expect in an old texture.i know this way is not an original way to make a texture for aircraft.so,can someone tell me how can i make a new texture for aircaft by the original way?please~~~ : (

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Make your inqury more precise and you will get some answers.

Are we talking about repaints or making new textures from the ground up?

Country
china
Make your inqury more precise and you will get some answers.

Are we talking about repaints or making new textures from the ground up?
Ok.thanks for your reply at first.what I want to say above is not repainting.it's about a new texture of surface of aircraft making.i know how to repaint an existing texture as what I want.but it's so hard to join the different parts together.So I want to know if we can draw a picture on a model of the aircraft at first.and then.we export this whole picture as an new texture file(.dds or .bmp). Waiting for your reply~ :)

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
No. If you know how to repaint then that's all that can be done. For anything else you need the model source files.

Country
china
No. If you know how to repaint then that's all that can be done. For anything else you need the model source files.
Hi
So.As you said.your meaning is what we can do for texture making is repainting only.right?there is no other ways which we can have for texture making.except the repainting.right?

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
So I want to know if we can draw a picture on a model of the aircraft at first.and then.we export this whole picture as an new texture file(.dds or .bmp).

No, not really. It's all trial and error, when it comes to joining up parts.

And as hairyspin said, to change the whole texture layout of the model, you will need the source files.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Or are you asking about a process called rendering? Where you bake shadows, etc. into the textures by displaying textures on the entire model and then capturing those?

Country
china
Or are you asking about a process called rendering? Where you bake shadows, etc. into the textures by displaying textures on the entire model and then capturing those?
hi
thanks for reply too
its almost like what u said.so do you know how to do it ?

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Download the paintkit for the aircraft, delete all layers except the wireframe layer of the model. Using the wireframe layer as a reference, start with a base color, make a layer for panel lines, make a layer for rivets, make a layer to shade parts, make a layer for decals and other stuff, export in a MSFS-compatible format, done.
If you do not have a paintkit with a wireframe layer for the model: Create a temporary repaint, load the model file into ModelConverterX, then select the temporary repaint to show it on the model. Load the texture from the temporary repaint that you want to edit into Photoshop or GIMP or whatever and use trial & error to determine the outline of the part on the texture. You can do this by painting a few crosses or dots onto part's texture, export the texture from the paint program and reload the temporary repaint in ModelConverterX. See where the crosses and dots end up on the part and move them to a new location until they are barely visible on the part's edge. Repeat this process with more crosses or dots until you have rough outline of the part on the texture file. Then start creating a new texture for the part as outlined in the first paragraph.

This is the summarized process assuming that you at least know how to create repaints for MSFS aircraft. If you do not, I suggest trying to repaint a few aircraft first before attempting to create new textures from scratch.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

You need the source code for the model to be able to do rendering, and you need to have a program that will do rendering for the source format you have. Neither GMAX nor FSDS can do it. I don't know more than that.

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Rendering shadows and baking them into a texture can be done in Blender.
Works at least for an AO map that can be used in GIMP or Photoshop.

the model can be imported to Blender via ModelConverterX (3ds) (needed for AO baking of course)
Also a UV Layout can be exported if you need a reference. Just be careful not to mess with the UV maps as they are the original ones and control how the texture is rendered.