How do I animate a jet and export it to FSX?

So you see... Its not easy. What you ask is tons of information. Climbing a mountain. Many steps. Just start with the first step and go from there.

The SDK will save you time in asking and waiting for answers. Learn to paruse through it to see if you can find your answer there first. Saves you time. If you cannot find your answer, hit us with the question(s).

But... That said, the above information saves you perhaps a week of 'searching'. Now, the rest should be easy...

Hope that helps you out and perhaps you'll be helping someone else down the road also. ;)

Bill of the silvery gray eyebrow people that make planes... that only exist in boxes... called computers.. .
Thanks!!! I will be working further with the SDK!! i will let you guys know if I have any questions/any glitches/errors that arise.

So how is it doing in the sim? Any screenshots?

I was only working on the ailerons, elevator and gear, now to animate the wheels.

I have been reading the SDK. I exported and did the animations as you said. I exported this to modelconverter x as an x file. They cannot find any linked animations from all the draw calls in 3ds max and for the windshield wipers i built for it. I selected and & some error code from the cmd when exporting from 3ds max. how do i fix this so that modelconverterx can read all the animations?
1562810386761.png

for the animations, i just chose from this dialogue box and clicked create for the animations. i only used animation attach point tool for the wheels to be blurred and still. do i have to attach all animations using the attach point tool ?

1562810673485.png

Attachments

Make sure you have a GUID assigned to the scene via the Export and LOD Tool. It talks in the crash about a GUID, so that must have popped up when you did the export. Go into the Export and LOD Tool and setup a 'new' GUID for the project (serial number is a GUID) and a friendly name (such as Airbus_A306, etc). You only have to name it once and give it a GUID once.

Your plane is showing up in MCX. Nice... Well done. It did export.

Next, create some basic Materials. You can use basic small textures that are in sizes of 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, and 4096. Attach the Materials to parts. If some parts have massive amounts of polygons, then only assign those 1 Material or so. Usually you will crash a export if you have more then 65K polygons with 'one' Material. If you have 100,000 polygons on one material, you will not have a good export. In FSX, parts that are not mapped will not show up. In P3D they will show up in the colors they are in (raw colors) before given a Material. A nice feature of P3D.

As for MCX, it usually just gives me an option to export as.... and I chose what I want and it does it. My issues usually happen when I export from Max.

Have you tried converting to MDL from the SDK system?

*** [BAT FILE SYSTEM X to MDL PROCESS: Making a BAT] ***
Do you know how to create a BAT file for converting X's to MDL's? Thats the system I use.
To create a BAT file;
* Open Notepad and copy this to your Notepad file;

/////////////////////begin copy here///////////////////////////

rem Move this file to Local Disk\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D V4.5 SDK 28671\Modeling\3ds Max\3DSM2014_x64\Plugins
rem Move LJ.x and LJ.xanim to same location.
rem Execute this file.

XtoMdl /XANIM /DICT:..\..\bin\modeldef.xml LJ.x > LJ.log

XtoMdl /XANIM /DICT:..\..\bin\modeldef.xml LJ_Interior.x > LJ_Interior.log

pause

////////////////////end of copy///////////////////////////

* Change the file names to your names for your input files. Mine are LJ and LJ_Interior. Change those to the names you will use. When you export from Max, it will be your names. You can use these if you want.
* Change the routes to the routes that are on your computer.
* Save the file to your desktop. Rename it as BAT. Something like Converter.BAT. Copy/paste this to your Plugin folder in the 3ds max SDK system where your system is that you are using to export from Max is.
* When you export a series of X files (306.X and 306_Interior.X for example), with their Anim files, you then drop those into the Plugin folder.
* Double click and start the BAT file. It will run for a moment and stop and you tap a button to exit as instructed. You should now have 2 MDL files in your Plugins folder. Copy paste those to your Model folder in your Airliner folder.

Its a clean system. I use it. There are other ways though. But, you have to have your Routes 'perfect' or the system will cough up.
You cannot have too many polygons on 'one' Material or it will cough up.
Check the Logs when you have an issue and see if you can find a problem there.

If you are trying to use the V1.4 SDK method, then export from Max via that system, then export again (Convert) to MDL via that system also. Some people export via V4, then convert a MDL copy to FSX via MCX. I do not know if MCX can handle PBR yet. I havent tried. I just export from V1.4 for those. I did try using MCX once and it did work, but I didnt have PBR textures.

Tons of information there. Hope it didnt overload the mind... :S

Bill
LHC

Make sure you have a GUID assigned to the scene via the Export and LOD Tool. It talks in the crash about a GUID, so that must have popped up when you did the export. Go into the Export and LOD Tool and setup a 'new' GUID for the project (serial number is a GUID) and a friendly name (such as Airbus_A306, etc). You only have to name it once and give it a GUID once.

Your plane is showing up in MCX. Nice... Well done. It did export.

Next, create some basic Materials. You can use basic small textures that are in sizes of 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, and 4096. Attach the Materials to parts. If some parts have massive amounts of polygons, then only assign those 1 Material or so. Usually you will crash a export if you have more then 65K polygons with 'one' Material. If you have 100,000 polygons on one material, you will not have a good export. In FSX, parts that are not mapped will not show up. In P3D they will show up in the colors they are in (raw colors) before given a Material. A nice feature of P3D.

As for MCX, it usually just gives me an option to export as.... and I chose what I want and it does it. My issues usually happen when I export from Max.

Have you tried converting to MDL from the SDK system?

*** [BAT FILE SYSTEM X to MDL PROCESS: Making a BAT] ***
Do you know how to create a BAT file for converting X's to MDL's? Thats the system I use.
To create a BAT file;
* Open Notepad and copy this to your Notepad file;

/////////////////////begin copy here///////////////////////////

rem Move this file to Local Disk\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D V4.5 SDK 28671\Modeling\3ds Max\3DSM2014_x64\Plugins
rem Move LJ.x and LJ.xanim to same location.
rem Execute this file.

XtoMdl /XANIM /DICT:..\..\bin\modeldef.xml LJ.x > LJ.log

XtoMdl /XANIM /DICT:..\..\bin\modeldef.xml LJ_Interior.x > LJ_Interior.log

pause

////////////////////end of copy///////////////////////////

* Change the file names to your names for your input files. Mine are LJ and LJ_Interior. Change those to the names you will use. When you export from Max, it will be your names. You can use these if you want.
* Change the routes to the routes that are on your computer.
* Save the file to your desktop. Rename it as BAT. Something like Converter.BAT. Copy/paste this to your Plugin folder in the 3ds max SDK system where your system is that you are using to export from Max is.
* When you export a series of X files (306.X and 306_Interior.X for example), with their Anim files, you then drop those into the Plugin folder.
* Double click and start the BAT file. It will run for a moment and stop and you tap a button to exit as instructed. You should now have 2 MDL files in your Plugins folder. Copy paste those to your Model folder in your Airliner folder.

Its a clean system. I use it. There are other ways though. But, you have to have your Routes 'perfect' or the system will cough up.
You cannot have too many polygons on 'one' Material or it will cough up.
Check the Logs when you have an issue and see if you can find a problem there.

If you are trying to use the V1.4 SDK method, then export from Max via that system, then export again (Convert) to MDL via that system also. Some people export via V4, then convert a MDL copy to FSX via MCX. I do not know if MCX can handle PBR yet. I havent tried. I just export from V1.4 for those. I did try using MCX once and it did work, but I didnt have PBR textures.

Tons of information there. Hope it didnt overload the mind... :S

Bill
LHC
I gave it a GUID and a friendly. Good news is that the errors in 3ds max went away. However, MCX still does not read the animations. What should i do in 3ds max for the animations to appear in MCX? i tried giving it the views but that only works for the wheels, cockpit switches, etc. I export it as an X file to be opened by Modelconverterx

When you do tires (wheels/tires/one piece) I use '...still' as the animation. When you use blurred, you need to have 2 different parts. No one uses that. Change it to 'still' and you'll be fine.

Remember it uses 100 KF's.

When you open that Animation Center, make sure you put in the Start / End KF numbers or it will not animate. So important. I mess up and forget this now and then. You have to delete the animation and reset it again with the animations set.

goaer[goergbw.JPG

Try this... Try making the MDL file with the SDK, not MCX. Then in MCX, open the MDL file. When its open, export it as a FSX MDL. See if that works.

Bill of the gray eyebrow people...

tgibson

Resource contributor
As I remember, when you export your aircraft as an X file, another file is created, something like .xanim. It is this file that contains all your animations. It appears that either you do not have both the x and xanim file present in the same folder when you open the x file in MCX, or MCX is not reading the xanim file for some reason?

As I remember, when you export your aircraft as an X file, another file is created, something like .xanim. It is this file that contains all your animations. It appears that either you do not have both the x and xanim file present in the same folder when you open the x file in MCX, or MCX is not reading the xanim file for some reason?
Ah, i see. I only have the x file that can be read by mcx. how do I get the xanim file to show up?

i am exporting it from 3ds max using the p3d .x extension and this shows, i clicked export animation. how can i fix this? i put the animation for the landing gear by selecting the tire for tire still, for the movements, mechanisms for the opening and closing of the gear doors for retractions and extensions and this shows (it showed for left, right and nosegear). how can this be fixed? & to add animations for nosegear steering, turbine movement/ spinning & thrust reversal?

1563001033924.png

I exported. now only the animation i created to 3ds max for the wipers animate. both wipers animate in 3ds max, but only the left wiper animates in modelconverter x. i have both the x and the x anim file. how should the animations be linked so that everything animates in 3ds max and in model converter? i am trying to work around this and have so many questions tbh
1563002737122.png