how do you apply dds file to fsx mdl file for conversion?

Hello,
this might not be the right question but from what I understand, using model converter x you don't need to edit any .asm files. I could be wrong, but the confusing part is that in the .asm files I can change from .bmp to .dds so that it will appear in FS. However, since I cannot generate any .asm files using the fsx gamepack, how am I supposed to change the texture from a .bmp to a dds so that model converter x can see it? GMAX cannot read .dds files so therefore I load .bmp. However, model converter cannot read the .bmp in the .mdl so I am confused. Whenever I open the .mdl I get a checkered board pattern and get a failed to load texture in the event log.

Hello
I think you are asking how to change the textures, what you want the asm file for ?.
Gmax read format like jpeg, tiff png, tga, 24 bitmaps, once you get your texturized model, you change the textures to Dds, for fs and modelconvertex, this can be done with DXTBmp, a freeware tool,very cool, and imagetool from the Fs sdk, or Photoshop (with the nividia Plug.in). I like Dxtbmp. Load you texture and ...save as.. Dds. that's all
saludos

tgibson

Resource contributor
As I remember, FSX will first look for a DDS file, then look for a BMP file if the DDS file is not present. So no need to change the file type via MCX or tweaking the asm file.

If you put the DDS or BMP file into the same folder as your MDL file, MCX should be able to read and display it on your imported model.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

The gmax gamepack will be default save as a DDS extension in the MDL. Even if you use another format, like PSD in GMax.

As mention by Tom, there is also a mechanism in FSX that it will also look for a BMP file with the same name, if the DDS file can not be found.

So there is nothing you need to do here.

I also have another question for Dr. Arno, i have a bgl file that has several items repeated inside. (a line of light poles). my goal is to withdraw only ONE of those objects (made of 2 .dds textures, i believe). is there a way to select one of the objects in the bgl file and just export that single object? if not, is there a way to build a mdl with 2 of its textures?
Thanks Doc.!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Depends a bit. If the bgl contains individual placements for each object in the line, you can just remove that single placement. If all poles are in a single model it's harder, since polygons are grouped per material. So only if the pole has unique materials you can remove it easily.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
All the poles are in one object here, so in that case you can't remove one in MCX.