FS2004 How make Hard Deck and Hard Ski Jump for aircraft carrier

Hello everyone,

I've an aircraft carrier made with Sketchup. I export it in MDL object and add it in a BGL Library.

I want to us it in severale places in my FS2004.

But I can't make a hard deck for aircraft. And I can't make the hard Ski jump.

Can soneone explain me the method to make hard deck and hard ski jump please ?

Thanks a lot.

PS. Sorry fo my bad English...It's not my native language

You can use Model Converter X(development version) to attach a platform to the deck and make it a "hard deck". The ski jump you probably can't do much with. In FS2004 user aircraft and AI need completely flat surfaces to operate on. Just the way it is.

Ed

You can use Model Converter X(development version) to attach a platform to the deck and make it a "hard deck". The ski jump you probably can't do much with. In FS2004 user aircraft and AI need completely flat surfaces to operate on. Just the way it is.

Ed
Thanks a lot.

For AI in FS2004, I know the need of flat surface. But for user aircraft, Ski Jump are OK (I've some scenery with these ski jump)

You can make a sloped platform with gmax, works OK, but my poor little Skyhawk was a little underpowered to actually jump off it. :)

In gmax you clone the surface and attach a platform to the clone, whatever slope the original surface had will be the slope of the platform. Not sure how to do it with MCX, there must be an option for sloping the platform, pitch, bank, or something like that.

ski_jump01.jpg

ski_jump02.jpg

Hi Jim:

MCX has an Attached Object Editor with an "Auto-Platform" feature:

I'm not certain how far Arno has gotten with setting 3D object orientation after import to MCX, as the 'Transform' feature I recall seeing was for ModelParts and Attached Objects ...rather than the entire MDL. :scratchch

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=ModelConverterX#Object_hierarchy

BTW: Does GMAX have a way to disable- or totally minimize- the MDL "CrashBox" attribute outside MCX ?

I'm remembering some threads linked to that related sub-topic via a post I made here: :idea:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/flight-crashes-when-coming-into-port.433557/post-705594

Thanks for sharing any additional insights you may recall on working with these features outside MCX. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
BTW: Does GMAX have a way to disable- or totally minimize- the MDL "CrashBox" attribute outside MCX ?
Not gmax per se, but both the FS9 and FSX gamepacks ship with an AttachTool script you can run to attach a "no crash" (remove crash boxes) to the geometry as a whole or any part of it. Same script that attaches the platform (and effects, objects, or beacons). There's a document in the FS9 gamepack SDK, "AttachTool.doc", that shows how it works. You can also use <NoCrash/> in your placement xml (FSX/P3D only).

I think MCX's auto platform works just fine, I removed the gmax platform, added it back with auto platform, and tested it in the sim. Same result from what I could tell.