• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

How to assign textures/export separate UV maps, then add environment map using McX.

Country
switzerland
Hi!

I'm fairly new into Blender. Started using it 2 week ago, trying to create a rather simple terminal, or I thought would be simple.

I did some basic modelling and tried to add, and export some textures but I got stuck, and don't know how to proceed from this point on.

Here's my issue, in image.
Aile Est.png

You will notice that Plane 001, Plane 002 and Plane 010 are hightlighted.
What I would like to do with them, is export the textures separately, so I can add environement maps over them using ModelConverterX.
I would like to create window textures for the 2 planes leaning to the left (in Ortho view), and add solar panel textures to the one on top.
I don't want to merge everything into one big image file and add the env. map over the non-selected objects in my image. Just Plane 001, Plane 002 and Plane 010.

I don't need anything too fancy. Just 3 separate texture files for the 3 planes (so I can add env. maps on them, separately, using McX), and one big UV map for the rest.

The terminal structure itself is large too, about 520 meters in lenght, 20 or so meters in width.

Here is the link to my .blend project. https://we.tl/t-wHHCAkRx8F The link takes you to the WeTransfer website. Just click on download. (The file will be automatically deleted after 7 days from the WeTransfer link.)

Feel free to use it, even for your own projects if you wish. If anyone can do what I wish with random images as an example using my .blend file and send it back to me via WeTransfer (or whatever sharing website you like), please feel free to do so. Or even a quick video tutorial, I would be very grateful.

The modeling is easier than the texturing for me, even though I'm sure my workflow is far from being ideal. I'm still trying to learn.

Thank you.

Country
us-utah
Hi!

I'm fairly new into Blender. Started using it 2 week ago, trying to create a rather simple terminal, or I thought would be simple.

I did some basic modelling and tried to add, and export some textures but I got stuck, and don't know how to proceed from this point on.

Here's my issue, in image.
View attachment 45026

You will notice that Plane 001, Plane 002 and Plane 010 are hightlighted.
What I would like to do with them, is export the textures separately, so I can add environement maps over them using ModelConverterX.
I would like to create window textures for the 2 planes leaning to the left (in Ortho view), and add solar panel textures to the one on top.
I don't want to merge everything into one big image file and add the env. map over the non-selected objects in my image. Just Plane 001, Plane 002 and Plane 010.

I don't need anything too fancy. Just 3 separate texture files for the 3 planes (so I can add env. maps on them, separately, using McX), and one big UV map for the rest.

The terminal structure itself is large too, about 520 meters in lenght, 20 or so meters in width.

Here is the link to my .blend project. https://we.tl/t-wHHCAkRx8F The link takes you to the WeTransfer website. Just click on download. (The file will be automatically deleted after 7 days from the WeTransfer link.)

Feel free to use it, even for your own projects if you wish. If anyone can do what I wish with random images as an example using my .blend file and send it back to me via WeTransfer (or whatever sharing website you like), please feel free to do so. Or even a quick video tutorial, I would be very grateful.

The modeling is easier than the texturing for me, even though I'm sure my workflow is far from being ideal. I'm still trying to learn.

Thank you.

Could you explain how you got from this point to the HOLY MOLLY stage? What happened in between posts?

Thanks,

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Consider this. You have a cube (a rough building shape) you will want a texture for the flat roof (top) and a brick texture for each of 4 walls (i know ... Windows doors ??? No for this simple example). Walls 1 to 4 . Once you know which of the walls will have a night light splash i.e sides 1 and 3 note this down to remind you later as your going to place the wall texture you have (we,ll call it brick1.jpg) on faces 2 and 4 only. We copy the texture brick1 and call it brick2 in that way we will add it to faces 1 and 3 this is a unique texture that will have a copy made called wait for it!) Brick2_lm. It will be this one that youll gimp/photoshop with a nice night splash which you will use in mcx to add as the night texture.
This is a simple process explanation only which works in sketchup as well. Ive dont it this way for you just in case you decide that doing scenery in blender is a little heavy at this point.