FS2004 How to caculate real world measurement based on scale drawings

Forgive me if this is a simple question and the answer is obvious but, I am not keen with numbers and equations. Thankfully there is FSDeveloper!

I am trying to figure out the actual measurement of a fuselage window, and the distance it sits back from the front wind shield in order to setup a boolean cut. The 3 view scale is 1/96. What do I have to do in order to calculate the real world measurements?

Thanks

Doug

Multiple the measured value by 96. However it's probably worth checking the drawings actually are 1/96 scale.

To do this get a known real world distance, e.g. fuselage length. Measure it on the plans, then divide the real world length by the measured one, this will give you the scale (if the number is less than 1 you've done it the wrong way round!). To get real world values from the drawing multiply by this number.

I use the Helper 'Tape Measure' to measure everything. If everything is to scale, you are good to go.

I just realized. I'll bet you are making this 16X bigger. :eek:

If you have good drawings, make a square version of the drawing. Create a new Material with that drawing in it, then make a perfectly square Polygon behind the fuselage, paste the Matetrial on the Polygon. Adjust to perfect match in length. Now make the fuselage transparent, like 50% or so, so that you can see through the fuselage and make tracings of the windows into Splines right in the fuselage.

Thats how I do it. That will not need scaling calculations.

Great idea Bill. The only problem with that and the reason I am asking this question is because in the three view, because the Bolingbroke has two engines mounted on wings, I can't see the windows! The engines are in the way. So I'll have to measure their positions. But thanks for that tip, I'll have to try that sometime.

Doug

ahhhhhh soo...

Well, I hope you get it all sorted.

3 Views can be difficult. In the end, having a good eye for proportions is really helpful.

Bill

Multiple the measured value by 96. However it's probably worth checking the drawings actually are 1/96 scale.

To do this get a known real world distance, e.g. fuselage length. Measure it on the plans, then divide the real world length by the measured one, this will give you the scale (if the number is less than 1 you've done it the wrong way round!). To get real world values from the drawing multiply by this number.
Thank you.