• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

How to change a photoreal images 'scale' (increase size)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi I would like to upscale a photoreal image to fit the road size. Is there a parameter where I can upscale the image?

Thanks, Ollie.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Ollie:

It is essential to NOT scale imagery or change total pixel Rows / Columns ...to keep existing Geo-referencing correct. :alert:

IIUC, you are trying to change the size of ONLY a road within the photo-real imagery. :scratchch

If so, this can be done in ex: Photoshop with a copy of the original imagery file by selecting the road with ex: the Magic Wand tool, copying it, and pasting it into position as a floating selected object, and re-scaling that object ONLY.

That scaled floating object can then be 'merged' / 'flattened' into the background image.

Please let me know if I have understood your goal correctly. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Gary, I actually mean the image is out of proportion in comparison with the rest of the scenery. So yep I would like to actually scale the image.

Thanks.

Country
us-illinois
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...images-scale-increase-size.445452/post-822953

Hi Gary, I actually mean the image is out of proportion in comparison with the rest of the scenery. So yep I would like to actually scale the image.

Thanks.

Hi Ollie:

Could you please explain what you mean by: "the image is out of proportion in comparison with the rest of the scenery" ?

By "rest of the scenery", are you referring to surrounding artificial land class tiles provided by OrbX FTX Global ? :scratchch

If you would please post a screenshot of where you are seeing the mis-match of imagery proportions you reported above, I would be glad to offer more more task-specific observations / suggestions ex: on how to better integrate your custom photo-real land class imagery BGL into the underlying surrounding artificial land class tiles provided by OrbX FTX Global. :)

GaryGB

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Gary,

What I'm trying to say is the image looks too small, so objects like the hanger look too small compared to the glider. The hanger should be roughly x2 the size. This also makes the airfield smaller than it should be. BTW I have now blended the image, looks great!

Screenshot (71).png

As you can see the hanger is too small for the glider so it looks out of proportion.
Also, here is the road. The road provided by Orbx vector is the correct width, while the photoreal image is too small, about 1/2 the size.
road.JPG

Thanks, Ollie.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Ollie:

I see what you are referring to now. :yikes:

I'll have to think about this scenario for a bit before I reply with a suggestion to try, as I have not yet encountered this apparent inaccurate 'sizing' / 'scaling' issue with imagery from any online tile-servers ...processed via SBuilderX. :scratchch

Did you manually edit any Geo-referencing or pixel dimension parameter values in the *.INF file before compiling ?

BTW: Which user aircraft 'glider' are you piloting in the FS screenshot above ?

< Yup... I want to verify the wing-span size to identify what imagery sizes we are seeing there locally in FS at run time >

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi,

"Did you manually edit any Geo-referencing or pixel dimension parameter values in the *.INF file before compiling "

No I did not this is my INF file:
[Source]
Type = MultiSource
NumberOfSources = 2

[Source1]
Type = BMP
Layer = Imagery
SourceDir = "E:\P3D\Addon Scenery\Southdown Gliding Club\Files"
SourceFile = "SDG.bmp"
Variation = January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
Channel_BlendMask = 2.0
Channel_LandWaterMask = 2.0
ulyMap = 50.9307380237183
ulxMap = -.4833984375
xDim = 2.68220901489203E-06
yDim = 1.69069188178127E-06

[Source2]
Type = BMP
Layer = None
SourceDir = "E:\P3D\Addon Scenery\Southdown Gliding Club\Files"
SourceFile = "SDG_Blendmask.bmp"
SamplingMethod = Gaussian
ulyMap = 50.9307380237183
ulxMap = -.4833984375
xDim = 2.68220901489203E-06
yDim = 1.69069188178127E-06

[Destination]
DestDir = "E:\P3D\Addon Scenery\Southdown Gliding Club\Files"
DestBaseFileName = "SDG-Final"
DestFileType = BGL
LOD = 6,Auto
UseSourceDimensions = 1
CompressionQuality = 100

I am using the "K21" roughly a wingspan of 17meters.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Ollie:

I will check a few things relative to Southdown in Google Earth, SBuilderX and a GIS application for a few minutes. ;)

GaryGB

Country
us-illinois
Hi Ollie:

Google Earth 'Ruler' tool: Schleicher ASK 21 glider wingspan in the upper image correlates with the Google Earth 3D and 'real' world size. :pushpin:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schleicher_ASK_21#Specifications_(ASK_21)

https://www.aerosoft.com/us/flight-simulation/flight-simulator-x-steam/aircraft/1204/ask21-ask21-mi

https://www.fsglider.de/p_e.htm

https://www.rikoooo.com/downloads/viewdownload/67/320

The same appears to also be true for the hangar size; are you certain that hangar is used for a non-disassembled glider ?

screenshot-71-png.49730

What are the Geographic coordinates of the "mis-matched" road sizes seen in the bottom image that you attached to your post above ? :scratchch

road-jpg.49731

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...images-scale-increase-size.445452/post-822987

Hi Ollie:

Google Earth 'Ruler' tool: Schleicher ASK 21 glider wingspan in the upper image correlates with the Google Earth 3D and 'real' world size. :pushpin:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schleicher_ASK_21#Specifications_(ASK_21)

https://www.aerosoft.com/us/search?sSearch=K21

The same appears to also be true for the hangar size; are you certain that hanger is used for a non-disassembled glider ?

Hmmm... I will have to do some further inquiry on this "scale" scenario via SBuilderX and my GIS application for a few minutes. o_O :scratchch

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...images-scale-increase-size.445452/post-822987

What are the Geographic coordinates of the "mis-matched" road sizes seen in the bottom image that you attached to your post above ? :scratchch

GaryGB

Yes, please; Geographic coordinates in Latitude and Longitude ...from either SBuilderX or Google Earth. ;)

GaryGB

Country
us-illinois
Hi Ollie:

GIS application shows same size as Google Earth for the above cited Southdown Glider Club hangar in ESRI World Imagery.

Which tileserver did you use in SBuilderX for your custom photo-real imagery land class BGL shown in your attached screenshots above ?

Also, please confirm whether you have more local add-ons than just OrbX FTX Global Base Pack installed.

Specifically, I'd like to know if you also have installed: :scratchch

OrbX FTX Global Vector

OrbX FTX Global openLC Europe

OrbX FTX EU England

OrbX FTX EGHR Chichester / Goodwood Airport

Flight1 Scenery Solutions Ultimate Terrain X Europe

...or:

Any other 3rd party (payware or freeware) add-on providing land class textures and/or CVX vector Roads that cover this local area.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Gary,

OrbX FTX Global Vector

OrbX FTX Global openLC Europe

OrbX FTX EU England

All of those.

Which tileserver did you use in SBuilderX for your custom photo-real imagery land class BGL shown in your attached screenshots above ?

I used 'virtualEarthSatelilte'

Flight1 Scenery Solutions Ultimate Terrain X Europe

...or:

Any other 3rd party add-on providing land class textures and/or CVX vector Roads
I only use Orbxs' stuff.

Thanks.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Ollie:

GIS application in ESRI World Imagery shows same size as Google Earth and SBuilderX in 'VirtualEarthSatellite'. :pushpin:

The FTX Global vector is AFAIK, intended to be accurate to the real world for Roads.

FTX Global land class textures are apparently not accurate for this location at this time.

I would suggest that you consider expanding your custom photo-real imagery coverage area outwards so the Blend Mask can be aligned with edges of Roads / landmarks in OrbX Global Vector CVX BGL data set that more closely match the imagery of 'VirtualEarthSatellite'.

Otherwise, you can 'Exclude' OrbX Global Vector CVX vector BGL (local) QMID-11 contents, and replace it with your own custom Roads, so that they align with the imagery of 'VirtualEarthSatellite'.

Feel free to let me know what your thoughts are with regard to this, as there are other options which might be considered as well. :idea:

FYI: I am making a "quick-and-dirty" 3D model of the hangar in question from Trimble imagery in Sketchup to inquire into the 'scale' issue.

I will post some results on that in a while, in this same thread. :)

GaryGB

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Gary,

Otherwise, you can 'Exclude' OrbX Global Vector CVX vector BGL (local) QMID-11 contents, and replace it with your own custom Roads, so that they align with the imagery of 'VirtualEarthSatellite'.

This seems like the best option :)

FYI: I am making a "quick-and-dirty" 3D model of the hangar in question from Trimble imagery in Sketchup to inquire into the 'scale' issue.
Oh wow, thanks a lot! I have been planning to create some 3D models but got no idea how to. Is Sketchup free? If so is there a tutorial?

Country
us-illinois
Hi Ollie:

I am basing the "Q+D" Sketchup 3D model of Southdown Glider Club's large hangar on this image from their website:

https://www.southdowngliding.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/hangar-1-1030x639.jpg

hangar-1-1030x639-jpg.49739

I have estimated that hangar's real world size to be: 15 Meters Wide x 25 Meters Long x 4.5 Meters Height at roof peak

Apparently the Glider bays are on the sides, each with double sliding doors for each adjacent pair of bays ? :scratchch

[EDITED]

Info on another website stated the intended Southdown large hangar capacity was 18 gliders ?

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/craig-lowrie-17909510

That would be 2.7777777777777777777777777777778 Meters for each Glider bay width ...along each of the (2) hangar sides.

IIUC, that means Glider wings must be stowed before backed into bays.

I'm not yet sure how that correlates with structural supports shown in the above image ...and this one:

11449967034_d569bec0c2_o-jpg.49740

[END_EDIT]

More info to come shortly on Sketchup. ;)

GaryGB

Attachments

• hangar-1-1030x639.jpg
    hangar-1-1030x639.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 385
  • 11449967034_d569bec0c2_o.jpg
    11449967034_d569bec0c2_o.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 505
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.