• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX How to convert FS9 placement file to FSX?

Country
luxembourg
Hey guys, I finally managed to convert the FS9 library to FSX due to the help of hcornea. All is working well and the textures are like they should.

Now I have just a problem. Our scenery (Saarlouis-Düren) has a lot of trees around the whole airport. As we placed them through Instant Scenery, we only have a BGL which includes all the placement content.

I just copied the file from the FS9 version to the FSX scenery folder and nothing happened, which means that there are no trees. So only copying the BGL's is not working.

I tried to decompile the placement BGL with NewBGLAnalyzer and then to edit the GUIDs, because the GUID is in FS9 like this:
2152419d4e2b57fa8de7cbaffdf59807
but in FSX like this:
2152419d-4e2b-57fa-8de7-cbaffdf59807

Then to recompile the file with BGLComp.exe. But this did not worked, as BGLComp gave me a lot of errors.

So my question is: Is there any tool/hint with which I can convert the FS9 Placement BGL to FSX? Or do I need to place all those trees again?

thanks for your help!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

If your converted objects have the same guid there is no need to convert the placement, it should still work.

Modelconverterx can show the guid conversion for one object, but not for a whole placement file.

Country
luxembourg
Also if I modified the GUID.

I had the same problem like this guy and solved it with ModelConverterX (in addition a big thank you for this application!!) and I recompiled the MDL's then using the FSX GUIDs method (8 digit"-"4 digit"-"4 digit"-"4 digit"-"12 digit) as I thought that the changes I had done on the model to get rid of that problem is not supported in FS9 compiler, or am I wrong?

Then I have an additional question. If in my BGL there is the FS9 GUID format, does FSX still loads the corresponding trees also from the FSX Library with the FSX GUIDs?

thanks for your help arno!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Internally in the bgl there is no difference between the FS2004 and FSX guid. So if a library exists with the objects FSX will work with your FS2004 placement.

Country
luxembourg
Ok, I tried it now, but it does not work. I can't see one of my trees :(

Maybe I should explain a bit how this has been set up because I think (due to my bad english sorry for this) I did not explained it good enough.

Darren and myself we both released the FS9 version of our scenery of Saarlouis-Düren (EDRJ) a few months ago. Now we want after it seems that there are no problems anymore do this scenery as well for FSX.

We have exported everything for FSX until now only the tree library (the only one in the scenery) is making us mad, as it makes more problems than the other buildings/things.

Our scenery consists of three layers (from the highest layer to the lowest):
- AFCAD (this includes the AFCAD file of the airport plus a file which ends in AF2_EDRJ_CVX.bgl, I think this is the mesh right?)
- Airport (includes Ground poly & Buildings)
- Terrain (only includes the mesh)

My problem is that the trees I placed in FS9 are not shown in FSX. The library is converted to FSX format and with the same GUIDs like in FS9. (Except the format change).
Then I took the BGL file I got from the tree placing (from Instant Scenery) and just copy and pasted it into the FSX Airport scenery folder in the hope to see all my trees, placed in FS9, also in FSX. However the trees are not showing up and I have no clue why.

Due to this, I simply zipped the Placing BGL and the library together and uploaded it here, so that if someone wants to help can see what I am speaking of.

regards and thanks again

GHD

Country
england
As far as I can tell, the problem is due to the textures. If I set "Default Opaque" in MCX, I can see the trees. If I set "Default Transparent", the trees are invisible.

Country
luxembourg
If I set "Default Opaque" in MCX, I can see the trees.

Ok to get you right, I simply need to click once that button in the red box shown on the following screenshot? Or do I need to set anything else, because I just made that and the trees are still not popping up.

Again here I added now the modified files in order that you see what I am speaking of.

thanks for your help

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Since the trees are transparent, normally you would press set default transparent. I'll have a look at your texture later to see if it is a bug in the tool that gives this problem.

Country
luxembourg
Ok I tried now the hint you gave me arno with pressing the "Set Default Transparent" button, but nothing happened. I can't see my trees.

However I asked myself if I did something wrong. Then I started ADE took the library and placed each of the 14 trees/bushes on the apron and tada, they were visible. However the placed trees around the airport are not visible. There are coming now several doubts to my head. Are you really sure that FSX can read the FS9 GUID's? Because the GUID's are the same in the FS9 than in the FSX version except that it is in the other "format".

thanks for your help

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Are you sure you converted the guid correctly? Just adding the dashes is not enough.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Then you have a different guid now. I have to check if I did add the guid converter to modelconverterx already or not. But that would help to convert correctly.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I checked, but that convert tool is not yet in ModelConverterX. I'll try to add it within some days. I have the functionality in a rough test tool already, we used that in our scenery project.

I also had a look at the problem with the Set Default Transparent button. But since your tree texture is not in the download file, I could not test why it does not work as expected. The models in the library look fine though.