How to determine if a gauge is FS98 style?

Hi,

Is there any way or tool to determine if a gauge (.gau file) is an FS98 gauge without using FS Panel Studio or loading the gauge into FSX?

Thanks,

n4gix

Resource contributor
That depends. All FS98 style gauges supplied by Microsoft will have this in the Properties\Version section of the file (right-click on .gau file in Windows Explorer, choose "Properties":

"Flight Simulator 98 Module"

Sometimes you can guess from the name, for example:

737-400.airspeed.gau

In the case above it's pretty obvious since newer FS gauges rarely are "singletons," meaning only one gauge per file.

Also, the "creation date" is a pretty good indicator. Any gauge file with a date from 2001 or earlier is without question an older, non-compatible gauge... :)

Thanks Bill,
Yes, the properties/description is a step in the right direction, I hadn't realized that was there. But it's not universal.

I was hoping there was an existing tool that could look at a directory containing .gau files and list all the FS98 style gauges.

Interestingly, FSX called some gauges that had FS2000 and even FS2002 in their description an FS98 gauge.

Is there a string or some string of bytes that can be searched for in a .gau file that shows whether or not it's an FS98 gauge?

The reason being, in converting planes to FSX, I'd like to have a quick way to determine which gauges are FS98 gauges for any given panel.

FS Panel Studio is very good for this, but I was hoping to help others convert planes, and not everybody has this tool or wants to purchase it.