• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

how to fix the nose?

Country
hongkong
8IBmty3.png

how do i make it fit the reference?

Thanks

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-10_14-3-50.png
    upload_2015-3-10_14-3-50.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 416
  • upload_2015-3-10_14-4-0.png
    upload_2015-3-10_14-4-0.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 345
Country
russia
Select, Extrude, Scale, Move.
Something like here.. Or search for Blueprint modelling tutorial.

Country
us-arizona
You might need to add rings in the straight area of that nose, then scale out the rings till they stretch to the drawing curvature.

FFD blocks are great for this. Use a FFD3 modifier then stretch only the center contact points leaving the front and back alone and you can stretch that easily. But again, you may need more rings in the front.

Some good ways of making beautiful curvature are to;
* Use a low poly basic model and use turbosmooth or NURMS to autogenerate the smoothness, or
* Use FFD to create curvature, stretching things outwards in certain area's, or
* start from one end and extrude a small amount, scale till perfect, extrude, repeat, extrude, repeat, until done.

Also, if you have Max, you can insert rings and adjust them with the new Graphite tools, Edges modifiers; 'Set Flow' and 'Flow Connect'. Some great tutorials on this on YouTube.

Country
us-california
When asking questions like this it is helpful to show the mesh ;)
That said, using the FFD modifiers has worked well for me when shaping things like this. Check out this video...

Country
hongkong
tried ffd but not getting what i want. Will try again after a few more goes. Thanks

Country
hongkong
Since i've opened the thread, I have another question:

My gmax planes are white. I had bitmaps on it and now it's just white. I've restarted my application but without success. my images are in .bmp formats.

5kkAeti.jpg

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Go to the material used for the planes, and make sure the button with the blue and white checkerboard cube is pressed in.

Country
us-arizona
That danged, evil, rotten, blue and white checkered button has found a new victim I see..

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
It has it's uses of course. In Max the icon may be different, but the affect is the same. After updating a bitmap and reloading, I have to 'toggle' that button off/on again before the revised bitmap will be refreshed in the Viewport.

Country
hongkong
they were selected. Im now using 3ds 2015 currently modelling saab 2000. 1 question, the line doesnt close in straight line :(

iwKi5oS.png

The blue line is where i want the line to connect (end). However when i choose close spline, the extra bit on the right of the blue line is created. How to fix it?

@n4gix Im a big fan of your milviz b737 :)

Last edited:
Country
australia
Select your newly created spline and go into vertex sub object mode.
Select both verts at the wingroot then RIGHT click to bring up the quad menu.
In the upper left quad there's options to change the vertex type. "Bezier Corner" , "Bezier", "Corner" or smooth
I would think "corner" would be the best but have an experiment to see how the others work.

Country
russia
Interesting method to model a wing. I would love to see end result or entire workflow. :scratchch

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Interesting method to model a wing. I would love to see end result or entire workflow. :scratchch
Spline modeling a wing is one of the easiest and fastest ways to make one. You can create a beautiful airfoil in just a few minutes including a nice wing tip. I don't know if there are any tuts on the method, maybe Lionheart has done one since he does work a lot with splines. If there isn't a tut I'll make some screen grabs for you. Just let me know.

Country
hongkong
I am new to modelling. Im following a 3ds tutorial. How do people normally model wings? Im interested :)

@fsfox I create an area using spline, then bevel it. choose vertice and adjust each pos, as well as cut if needed. That's all i know for now.

Country
russia
NURBS if it is organic shape. Wings and entire aircraft including interior sheathing can be done by NURBS easily once you understand how they work, then just little poly editing if needed at all.
There is possibility that once you open nurbs section, then you quickly close it.. :D

Country
mexico
Hello

If you need to revise how to work with splines, you may want to take a look at those videos:

Splines Part 1:
Splines Part 2:
Splines Part 3:

Cheers,
Sergio.

Country
hongkong
will visit. thanks a lot! Also will post any progress and screen grabs for the wing building.