How to get Aircraft to depart a certain runway

using my EHAM Westerly OPS as the example.

Departing 24 18L

I have aircraft taxing past 24 and going all the way up to 18L.

If I only have 24 open then the same aircraft will use 24, so its not taxi routing or runway length

Any tips would be great.

Thanks

Clive

Clive,
This is because you are using the Xwind runway technique the sim is tricked into thinking all runways are parallel,
so lets say 24 is "maybe"now between 18C and 18L, the sim is now looking at where the mentioned aircraft is parked so 18L is probably nearer
as i explained in your other thread you have picked an airport that will be fairly complex to understand the workings of the Xwind runway technique used there
there are many other issues to learn on how runways work not only runway length but any Navaids associated with them too that come into play
Also be careful of closing runways that have ILS associated with them which can get ignored by the way they are hard coded, it was designed that way to stop people screwing up the approaches of airports in the same BGL when we were given the SDK..........
so please do not take this the wrong way and with due respect I personally think EHAM is not for a novice to start with, as you will get more confused when things do not work as you want at such a large airport.................
learning and understanding how runways operate in the Sim is a fairly large learning curve that why i suggested to try with a 2 runway airport first to learn why things are happening or not happening
hope this helps you understand how much there is to learn about how airports function :)

Cheers Ray, any tips for a good 2 runway airport to have a 'play around' with?

If possible set me some tasks to see if I can achieve them, that would be good

Thanks

Last edited:
LPPT maybe?

1552426269918.png

Task: Crosswind 03 with 35 for takeoff......you wouldn't but as a test

1552427762319.png

Some more that might be good to practise with

LIMC
EBBR (3)
LICJ
LEPA
LKPR
EPWA

Last edited:
Clive,
This is because you are using the Xwind runway technique the sim is tricked into thinking all runways are parallel,
so lets say 24 is "maybe"now between 18C and 18L, the sim is now looking at where the mentioned aircraft is parked so 18L is probably nearer
as i explained in your other thread you have picked an airport that will be fairly complex to understand the workings of the Xwind runway technique used there
there are many other issues to learn on how runways work not only runway length but any Navaids associated with them too that come into play
Also be careful of closing runways that have ILS associated with them which can get ignored by the way they are hard coded, it was designed that way to stop people screwing up the approaches of airports in the same BGL when we were given the SDK..........
so please do not take this the wrong way and with due respect I personally think EHAM is not for a novice to start with, as you will get more confused when things do not work as you want at such a large airport.................
learning and understanding how runways operate in the Sim is a fairly large learning curve that why i suggested to try with a 2 runway airport first to learn why things are happening or not happening
hope this helps you understand how much there is to learn about how airports function :)
So, you cannot 'crosswind' AND move runways between others at the same time?

That"s not the airport i would have picked!!!..........that setup certainly will not work
one of my first airports i did 15years ago was YPAD as it has a long and a short runway try that, there are thousands of 90degreee runways you could choose from LOL!!!
i had to get Jim's help when i followed it with YSSY..........................
adding the fake Xwind runways is the easy part.
its nothing to do with task's, its more about reading the forum's threads on how airports work to learn what you can and cant do, and what the sim will allow you to do
good luck as we all had to start somewhere

Sorry i don't understand the question on your last thread

tgibson

Resource contributor
Each runway in the listing must be within 8 degrees of the runway above and below it, or it doesn't usually work.