• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

How to get rid of snow over aprons?

Country
italy
So much snow Is coming...
Did anyone get how to plow aprons?
Looks like (to me) the only option is making them really dark :(
Any suggestion?

Inviato dal mio Mi 9 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk

Country
russia
I noticed that you can control the snow by applying coloration to the poly and the more you have blue channel coloration the more snow you get.

Country
finland
I noticed that you can control the snow by applying coloration to the poly and the more you have blue channel coloration the more snow you get.
Did this apply to Polygons and/or Aprons? So less blue would get rid of snow? But then the apron colour would be weird...?

Country
russia
Did this apply to Polygons and/or Aprons? So less blue would get rid of snow? But then the apron colour would be weird...?
This applies to aprons for sure. Try playing with it, maybe you will be able to find a good balance. If overdone the result will for sure be weird.

Country
italy
Thanks for your replay and effort
As i said, making them darker ( pushing rgb down, blu has Little more effect than rg) of course makes the snow disappear...

But coloring the apron is not be a viable option, obviously, the Airport wont look like the real one

I Will try raise the question to zendesk, they have made possible to exclude snow onto 3d objects, maybe they can do something onto aprons as well

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
You can reduce the value to get rid of it. The only other thing that might work is a large planar object with a transparent texture, and no snow checked?

Country
italy
Nope, snow goes through 3d Buildings and "reach" the apron below,
The "no snow" in the sdk prevent the snow to set only *over* the 3d object
Same happens with environment occluder material, It stops Rain (wich Is Great) but not snow

Only way to try to control snow Is apron darkness (adding blu Is Just a way to make things dark)

Anyone as a working example with very light apron (e.g. concrete) with no snow?

Country
canada
I've noticed that certain materials have no snow, while others do. Experiment a bit with that if the specific texture you are using isn't absolutely necessary.

Ahhhh, sorry, I just realized this was a pretty old post...

Country
unitedstates
Nope, snow goes through 3d Buildings and "reach" the apron below,
The "no snow" in the sdk prevent the snow to set only *over* the 3d object
Same happens with environment occluder material, It stops Rain (wich Is Great) but not snow

Only way to try to control snow Is apron darkness (adding blu Is Just a way to make things dark)

Anyone as a working example with very light apron (e.g. concrete) with no snow?

Hi there, I know this is an old post, but did you happen to sort out how to get rid of snow on certain apron materials?

Country
germany
Some indeed work, yes. But others not.

I find it a bit weird, did this change over time? Im nearly sure when i made my airfield i got the snow deleted inside my tower. But now its snowing inside, yes.

Not sure why they didnt do this with runway material.

unknown.png

unknown.png

Now this one i really find even more weird.

The rattan objects and sofa and the sun umbrella have no snow ontop, everything else has.....

unknown.png

Ok, the longer i look at my project the weirder it gets lol.

unknown.png

Or this. One building covered in snow, the other one isnt. And the one roof is 50% in snow hehe. I dont get it.

unknown.png

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Some indeed work, yes. But others not.

I find it a bit weird, did this change over time? Im nearly sure when i made my airfield i got the snow deleted inside my tower. But now its snowing inside, yes.

Not sure why they didnt do this with runway material.

unknown.png

unknown.png

Now this one i really find even more weird.

The rattan objects and sofa and the sun umbrella have no snow ontop, everything else has.....

unknown.png

Ok, the longer i look at my project the weirder it gets lol.

unknown.png

Or this. One building covered in snow, the other one isnt. And the one roof is 50% in snow hehe. I dont get it.

unknown.png
I've experienced this weird behaviour too on my own scenery with both aprons and actual buildings. Unfortunately I think currently it's one of those quirks of the SDK that we're forced to work around :(

Country
germany
Yeah. So weird. I made a quick look, i dont have the no snow option turned on or off anywhere. Will look at substancepainter, if i find anything that is different between the models. Usually i did all the very same... But i will have a look these days.

has anyone found a fix for light color concrete yet? i dont know what else i can do since with live weather the snow covers the runway and taxiway too much and making the texture darker than this will not match irl
Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2022.11.04 - 12.36.35.10.png

Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2022.11.04 - 12.36.42.43.png