how to hard the to roof of a building made in SU

Hello,
what I'm trying to do is to apply an hard roof/surface in a building made in SU.
My goal is to make a harden/landable helipad there.
Any hint, please?
Thanks a lot.

Cheers

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

In ModelConverterX you can use the Attached Object Editor to add a platform to the roof. Either manually create one or use the auto platform function.

Hello Arno,
where I can find instructions to do so?
I read the online manual, but It does lead me a lot on this.
Sorry, but I'm a newbie....
Thanks!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
This video tutorial should help you:

I know I need to update the manual, just lack of time :)

Perfectly clear, but, if I want to add a manually created one?
Which format can I use? .MDL? .BGL?
How?
Thanks for your patience!

By the way, video tutorials are much more effective and quicker to be created than writing manuals.....

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Adding a manual platform is also done in the Attached Object Editor. From the Add menu you select Platform. Then in the properties you can enter the size of the platform and the position,

Afterwards you save to MDL or BGL to get the platform in your object.

Hello Arno,
I found in YouTube several tutorial videos from you.
I'm going through them.
About "Then in the properties you can enter the size of the platform and the position" could post a video to show how to play with this setup?
Thanks!

Armo:
Question 1: I'm trying to follow your "Platform" video. I'm using P3D ver. 4.1.7.22841. I'm trying to use the "Platform" function. Nothing is happening. Textures and .BGL is written, but nothing shows. Is the platform function not compatible with P3D or am I doing something wrong?
My main goal is to place this graphic MS_Hover_Practice.jpg
on the tarmac. I have successfully placed it correctly as a helipad (140'x140,x1"). It flashes a lot and is highly specular (like a black mirror).
Question 2: Am I headed to my goal correctly or should I be using a ground poly?
I apologize for approaching you this way. I'm not a newbie, but haven't been around for several years.
Thank you for your incredible program ModelConverterX
Mark Self
L12 Redlands Muni

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

A platform is not visible, it's just something an aircraft can land on because it is hard. If you want something visible as well, you need to place normal polygons.

If it is on the ground and not on a roof, using ground polygon is probably better.

Armo:
Thank you very much. I'll start researching the use of ground polys.
I recall something about the "flashing" being caused by ground proximity. Is the thinness of my helipad object the problem?
Mark Self

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Ground polygons need special material settings to prevent the flickering. Or is your helipad a kind of small box with some height?