• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

How to make road traffic "freeway traffic lines" sbuilderx 3.15 for P3D? (SOLVED)

Country
us-newyork
Hi there guys,

Can anyone teach me how to successfully place car road traffic "freeway traffic lines" over my photo-real airport terrain despite the fact they do not appear on default terrain either.
I've been looking for a manual online to read from but no chance. I'm using sbuilderx 3.15.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Hi Francis, sort of continuing with your prior post of no success the first question I have is where is it? Reason I'm asking is because population density has a lot to do with road traffic so if you're working in some area where the population density is zero percent you'll never see any traffic. It's a "living world" thing and you'll need to make a population density .bgl if the default density is zero. If it's Barrow Alasksa this could be the problem, if it's KMIA then obviously there must be another problem, lol. Of course you have freeway traffic turned on in the sim (30%-ish or more)? You did right click the lines you made and selected "freeway traffic"? When you hover your mouse over them in SBX do you see "xx_Pts_Freeway_Traffic_line" or do you see "xx_Pts_Line of Type_None"? And of course your defined BGL folder is active in the sim's scenery library?

Country
us-newyork
Hi Francis, sort of continuing with your prior post of no success the first question I have is where is it? Reason I'm asking is because population density has a lot to do with road traffic so if you're working in some area where the population density is zero percent you'll never see any traffic. It's a "living world" thing and you'll need to make a population density .bgl if the default density is zero. If it's Barrow Alasksa this could be the problem, if it's KMIA then obviously there must be another problem, lol. Of course you have freeway traffic turned on in the sim (30%-ish or more)? You did right click the lines you made and selected "freeway traffic"? When you hover your mouse over them in SBX do you see "xx_Pts_Freeway_Traffic_line" or do you see "xx_Pts_Line of Type_None"? And of course your defined BGL folder is active in the sim's scenery library?
@JRobinson ,

all your instructions were met. The location is in Santo Domingo, around and in Las Americas International airport. There's a road far from the airport with a lot of traffic so I believe if is depended on population presentation than it will somehow comply with providing me with traffic.
Yet, SBX compiles my CVX always at a 1kb vs ADE sizes which are a bit bigger.
I do have traffic at 32%, I did [right click] the lines and made them to [freeway traffic] 22_pts_freeway_Traffic_line . And yes, the defined BLG folder is the active scenery in the library.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Only thing I can think of is that there might be something above it in the scenery library that could be excluding the traffic lines. Any chance there's an "exclude all terrain items" poly active from your prior work with ADE? I think it would be OK if there was as long as they were in the same scenery layer but above it even a tiny little exclude poly could be the problem if it was in the right (wrong) place. Can you post up your .bgl and SBX file so I can try it out here?

Country
us-newyork
Above the scenery is the photo-real.
In ADE I have a large [flatten poly] .
And at the moment I do not have any terrain exclusion.

Attached is [freeway traffic items]
I attempted to compile [extrusion bridges] and I receive this message which I've attempted to figure out.

Attachments

• CVX_BA_MDSD.BGL
    56 bytes · Views: 218
  • sbuilderx_issue3.JPG
    sbuilderx_issue3.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 211
Country
unitedstates
There's definitely nothing there, TMFViewer won't open it. Not sure what to tell you. Try once again to compile both your traffic lines and your extrusion bridge in SBX to ensure the sources are available. Then make a new text document in the SBX315\Tools folder, paste the code below into it and save it. Then rename it compile_BA_MDSD.bat (or whatever.bat, it's the .bat extension that matters), windows will complain about changing the file extension, just answer yes. Double click the .bat file, it will attempt to compile both items and write the results to a new file "error.txt". Posts the contents of error.txt and maybe we can figure out what's going on.

Code:
>error.txt shp2vec Shapes _BA_MDSD
>>error.txt echo.
>>error.txt echo.
>>error.txt bglcomp Work\BA_MDSD_EXT.xml
error.txt

Country
unitedstates
Also if you add this file to your scenery folder do you see traffic? Should be a couple traffic lines coming in from the north, making a circle through the terminal area and exiting back out to the north.

Attachments

• CVX_BA_MDSD.BGL
    648 bytes · Views: 224
Country
us-newyork
Also if you add this file to your scenery folder do you see traffic? Should be a couple traffic lines coming in from the north, making a circle through the terminal area and exiting back out to the north.
This worked, how did you do this one? sbuilderx 3.15 via FSX or straight to P3D?
The traffic goes over my photoreal.

Teach me please.

Country
us-newyork
There's definitely nothing there, TMFViewer won't open it. Not sure what to tell you. Try once again to compile both your traffic lines and your extrusion bridge in SBX to ensure the sources are available. Then make a new text document in the SBX315\Tools folder, paste the code below into it and save it. Then rename it compile_BA_MDSD.bat (or whatever.bat, it's the .bat extension that matters), windows will complain about changing the file extension, just answer yes. Double click the .bat file, it will attempt to compile both items and write the results to a new file "error.txt". Posts the contents of error.txt and maybe we can figure out what's going on.

Code:
>error.txt shp2vec Shapes _BA_MDSD
>>error.txt echo.
>>error.txt echo.
>>error.txt bglcomp Work\BA_MDSD_EXT.xml
error.txt

RESULTS------------------------ @JRobinson

Shp2Vec.exe version 10.0.61472.0 - VectorQuad 6
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Processing FLX_BA_MDSD.shp
Processing FWX_BA_MDSD.shp

Writing vector data to Shapes\cvx_BA_MDSD

DONE (0 shapes)

Compression statistics
Type Count Bytes in Bytes out
Null (raw data) 0 0 0
Predictive Delta 0 0 0
Quantization 0 0 0

INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C1003: Failed to create MSXML object! (0x80040154)

Parsing document: Work\BA_MDSD_EXT.xml

INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2430: Unrecoverable error parsing XML!
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2006: Parse failed (0x80004005)
INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR: #C2003: Failed to process file: Work\BA_MDSD_EXT.xml

Country
unitedstates
There's nothing in your .shps for some reason. Doesn't appear you're doing anything wrong, you've got an FLX which would be a flatten (airport background) and an FWX which should be the traffic lines. They're just empty apparently.

On the bridge, that error means you either don't have MSXML 4 installed or you have an incorrect version:

...yet you've been using ADEX successfully and exporting things like runways, aprons, taxiways, etc. (which should all be using bglcomp) correct? I'm thinking this may have something to do with having SBX installed in the C:\users folder? Something is stopping you from writing your .shps and also preventing bglcomp from working correctly? There was that Win10 ransom-ware protection subject that just came up recently here, I wonder if that's causing your problems? Can you try moving the inner SBX315 folder directly onto C: (so you have C:\SBX315 after the move, inside which you should find SBuilderX.exe)?

In the meantime I've attached the .SBP file I made the traffic lines from. There's a QMID 15 sized exclusion to get rid of any traffic lines that may be in scenery layers below it (ie FTX Vector, default, UTX, etc). Before you move the SBX folder try it and see if you can compile it.

Attachments

• BA_MDSD.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 216
Country
unitedstates
This worked, how did you do this one? sbuilderx 3.15 via FSX or straight to P3D?

That was done with SBX using the FSX tools, I also have the P3D v4.5 counterparts in my Tools folder and I toggle them back & forth with a .bat file, I tried it both ways, either way compiles fine and the resulting .bgls also work fine either way in P3D v4.5.

Last edited:
Country
us-newyork
@JRobinson ,

I updated the MSXML 4.0 or installed it. I then used the file you sent me, compiled it. Only one file was compiled, which was the traffic. No visuals on the traffic was available in the sim. The other item gave me a different error. [sBUILDERX cannot export FWXxxxx].

2nd step: Sbuilderx relocate at C:\ the results are:

EXCELLENT. SbuilderX compiled everything I requested and it didn't give me any issues. So far everything I requested appeared. I have my AB-FLATTEN, FREEWAY TRAFFIC and road bridges...

Thank you @JRobinson :)

Country
us-newyork
I will continue adding items and working on it today and I will post any problems if available, I'm hoping they wouldn't be any. No I can trim the shorelines using sbuilderx and work on traffic. I'm happy.

Country
unitedstates
It's on the edit menu "enable undo", but it does it by auto-saving the file every 60 seconds or so (you can adjust it in the sbuilder.ini) and then when you hit undo it reverts to the last auto-saved copy. You'll soon end up with ten thousand auto-save files in your project folder which drove me nuts so I just leave undo off. Another little quirk in SBuilder is that it won't warn you that you didn't save your file when you close it so be careful there too.

Country
us-newyork
It's on the edit menu "enable undo", but it does it by auto-saving the file every 60 seconds or so (you can adjust it in the sbuilder.ini) and then when you hit undo it reverts to the last auto-saved copy. You'll soon end up with ten thousand auto-save files in your project folder which drove me nuts so I just leave undo off. Another little quirk in SBuilder is that it won't warn you that you didn't save your file when you close it so be careful there too.
excellent! THANK YOU

Country
us-newyork
@JRobinson ,
And the traffic that goes over the bridges is another line vector where I would have to assign altitude to each point of the [freeway traffic] location with the same data from the bridge height?

Country
unitedstates
No, the bridge has a hard surface so the traffic will cross it, but I think you have to go into the bridge properties and tick a box for "platform" or something like that.

EDIT: Also the width and altitude are screwy if you set them within the bridge properties, so just right click the bridge line and use "set width" and "set altitude" like you'd do with any other line.

Last edited:
Country
us-newyork
No, the bridge has a hard surface so the traffic will cross it, but I think you have to go into the bridge properties and tick a box for "platform" or something like that.

EDIT: Also the width and altitude are screwy if you set them within the bridge properties, so just right click the bridge line and use "set width" and "set altitude" like you'd do with any other line.
I'll do that.
Thanks.