• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS How to make textures half transparent not fully transparent

Country
china
I've been struggling with this problem. How do you guys make the texture on the left half transparent like what we need to do to the glass and windows not fully transparent on the right? I only know how to use 3DS MAX there seems to be some toturials on how to do that in blender. I am not sure but do i need to learn Blender to accomplishe this effect?

Attachments

• QQ图片20221116154015.png
    QQ图片20221116154015.png
    533.4 KB · Views: 128
Country
italy
I've been struggling with this problem. How do you guys make the texture on the left half transparent like what we need to do to the glass and windows not fully transparent on the right? I only know how to use 3DS MAX there seems to be some toturials on how to do that in blender. I am not sure but do i need to learn Blender to accomplishe this effect?
Did you try setting painting the alpha of the image grey?
Alpha blend reads the alpha channel of the image
Between full black alpha (transparent) or full white (opaque) there are 253 shades of grey. You can pain the alpha in gimp or Photoshop or any other paint program supporting alpha Channel

Country
australia
You set the transparency in your paint program. What paint program are you using? Usually you will have a background layer that is fully transparent. You then add details in other layers. As each layer can have it's own transparency you can build up your image. For example, if you want to make the windows on the right in your image half transparent you would set the layer to be 50% transparent in your paint program and then export that as a PNG.

When you export the image from your paint program it is also important to ensure that the paint program is exporting in the PNG with transparency format.

Once you have your texture with transparency you can use the material editor in 3DS or Blender to set how the transparency is processed.

Opaque is no transparency

Mask is either opaque or transparent based on the alpha channel.

Blend is transparency is based on the alpha channel.

Country
china
Did you try setting painting the alpha of the image grey?
Alpha blend reads the alpha channel of the image
Between full black alpha (transparent) or full white (opaque) there are 253 shades of grey. You can pain the alpha in gimp or Photoshop or any other paint program supporting alpha Channel
You set the transparency in your paint program. What paint program are you using? Usually you will have a background layer that is fully transparent. You then add details in other layers. As each layer can have it's own transparency you can build up your image. For example, if you want to make the windows on the right in your image half transparent you would set the layer to be 50% transparent in your paint program and then export that as a PNG.

When you export the image from your paint program it is also important to ensure that the paint program is exporting in the PNG with transparency format.

Once you have your texture with transparency you can use the material editor in 3DS or Blender to set how the transparency is processed.

Opaque is no transparency

Mask is either opaque or transparent based on the alpha channel.

Blend is transparency is based on the alpha channel.

Thank you guys with your help, it worked. I set the mode to Blend and add alpha channel to the .PNG photo. it worked