• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

How to move airport reference point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country
sweden
I have a domestic airport in FSX that is not correct positioned making Real Traffic land beside the runway. I have tried to check the exact location of the reference point in Google Earth and chenged the coordinates to that location in the Airport Design editor ver. 01.78.7298 but no viewable move of the reference point is determined ( and therefore its location in the FSX). I am doing something wrong, but what?
What is the best way to move the airport and all its content in the AFX_bgl?
I am a newbee so detailed instruction is appreciated.
Thanks
Akki

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Moving the reference point itself doesn't move the airport as you have found. You can move an airport with ADE but you need a ProKey. There is a 15 day trial if you don't have one. You can download it from here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/lb8a21r5egb7wki/ProKey.zip/file

Please note that sometimes Windows objects to the files contained in the ProKey. If it does then try this: https://scruffyduck.screenstepslive...ependencies-exception-from-hresult-0x80131515

You may need to repeat the above for more than one file before ADE starts.

Move Airport is in the Tools Menu

1585132988836.png

You can also rotate an airport about the cursor. That's in the Right Click Menu

1585133043041.png

Neither of these are available without the ProKey installed

Country
sweden
Thanks for quick reply/support!
I have the ProKey on evaluation as you wright. I have tried to put on new refpoints coordinates but as you wright it was wrong approach.
My problem is how to get the correct location in FSX based on the coordinates from Google Earth. Or is there a better way. I am not familiar with the second menu you show, perhaps that can help?
Akki

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Put the coordinates from Google Earth for the reference point into the Move Aurport Dialog

1585133677842.png

ADE accepts coordines in several different formats. Above is Decimal. These are degrees and decimal minutes

1585133791271.png

Country
sweden
Yes, so I did...and now it worked out fine. The runway in FSX is better located, just missing aircrafts now to start/land in Real Traffic due to the virus catastrophy. But great thanks!

Country
sweden
However buildings and some other elements didnt join the trip, any tip how to manage that?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Did you have the option to move Scenery Objects checked before you executed the move?

Country
sweden
I had, but the scenery is partly corrupt i.e. the rwy is now almost perfect but the scenery and parking positions are not as the should. Will try to look for a better scenery.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
You mean they don't line up with google earth?

Country
sweden
I am able to move the airport rwy so that the aircrafts landing and taking of follow the rwy almost perfect but the rest of the scenery is not at all in line with the "real world", i e there is a mismatch in positions and taxways, and parkin positions. Perhaps I could rearrange that but my knowledge is limited here. Is there a possibility to put G Earth in the background to compare?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Yes - you can create a background image from Google Earth and then use it to place things in ADE

Country
sweden
Well, now I am quite comfortable with all the possibilities moving an airport with the use of distance and bearing, however I struggle now with some objects that do not follow the move, i.e. fences or some airport buildings gets misplaced.
It might be that I only make my changes to the original AFX_ESSB.bgl file, is this maybe wrong approach or do I need to also modify other files in the scenery folder? I have four more files there, all bgl´s. And yes, I check all boxes before creating.
Akki

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
It seems that you have objects in bgl files. ADE can only move objects that are in the project. If you have other bgl files then make a backup of the project file and import the other files into it. If there are objects in those files then they will be added to the project. Don't update any existing bgl file but create a new one by compiling the project

Country
sweden
OK, I understand what you mean but not exactly how to proceed to do things in the right order: 1) I open as "bgl" the airport in ADE from the file AFX_ESSB. 2) I "move" that file airport with the Move command and Drag, meters and angle. Is that right proceedure i.e. is the AFX file the basic airport or should I start with some of the other files i.e.: ESSB_with_photo_TEXP.bgl ; CVX_ESSB_Photo.bgl ; ESSB.bgl or ESSB_lib.bgl
The first file I open and save as project after the "move", no compiling
What is next step? Open next file as bgl (if possible) or "import" or what / Do I need to start with the stock airport ( not in use I presume)?
Sorry for the lack of competence...

Well now I tested also the stock airport and get the same result, buildings and tower points are not moved ( all boxes checked), I assume also the stock airport have other files despite not found in the same scenery file. I found another 5 files as bgl´s which I assume need to be treated as described above, but with what order and how to handle the project file/s before compiling?
I can provide som photos if it helps
Akki

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
These are the steps and you need to start from scratch.

Load the bgl file that contains the airport into ADE. Save the project file

Now use the File > Import bgl for each of the other bgl files that form part of the scenery. Some will add some things to the project, others won't and some might give you and error

When you have done them all save the project file.

You may find that you have some black box objects in the ADE display. If so then go to Tools > Library Object Manager and load all the bgl files other than the main airport file into the LOM using the Tools > Add File menu. Again some may add some objects to the LOM, some may give you an error or tell you there are no objects. Be sure to click Save when you are done and close the LOM

When you have done this. Save the project file and make a spare copy somewhere safe.

Close ADE and restart it. Hopefully you will have everything in the way of objects etc in their correct places. You may still get some black boxes..

Now try to make your airport move. Compile and check what you have. There is no guarantee that you will have a perfect result of course.

Country
sweden
Well OK, but I have still some questions….
1) when you say " load the bgl that contains the airport" - do you mean the AFX-file bgl or the ESSB.bgl….? For me it isnt clear.
2) loading the other BGLs by importing already now create errors, ie black boxes ar written over the parking positions...before the "move"
3) what shall happen in the LOM, there are thousands of object files but then, what/how to do?

I am really sorry

Further I dont know how to handle ESSB files further back in FSX (ESSB_AP/BG/EX/FL.bgl and UTX_ESSB_EUR.bgl, I have removed them from FSX so they would not interfere.

I am confused over the location of buildings from the unmoved original bgl, but I am probably doing something wrong.
Akki

> now I think the result improved after having the buildings occuring twice efter the "move" having me to delete the ESSB.bgl in the FSX Addon scenery folder....looks OK now. But I am not sure about the other files, how to handle them.
DS

Attachments

• ESSB before compiling.JPG
    ESSB before compiling.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I think I need to ask other members of this forum to provide some help. Essentially I am a programmer and not best placed to deal with something that appears as complex as this since there seem to be a number of overlapping files you are referring to.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
1. I believe the AFX file contains the airport (runways, taxiway, etc.) so start with that one. BTW, after creating the ADE files and placing them into the same folder as this AFX file, this original AFX file should be removed from the active scenery folder and stored for safekeeping (I place it into the parent folder of the scenery folder).
2. You need to Import the other BGL files before you move the airport, so you do not have conflicts like this. If things are in incorrect locations anyway, move them into their proper locations before moving the airport.
3. When adding the airport's other files to the LOM, use the Tools/Add Single File menu choice within the LOM.
4. Removing those extra ESSB files should be fine, unless they provide some critical part of the airport scenery. I have never seen any files in FSX called ESSB_AP, etc., however. There are no such files in my FSX/Scenery folder. The UTX file can be removed since you are creating your own airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.