• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

How to move an Objects RefPoint

Country
germany
Hi guys,

in order to optimize a refpoint for a better LOD switching I had to move an object (or a group of objects) 535 meters along the y-axis. Now the RefPoint is within the group instead of being outside of the group before.
Is there any possibility (if yes HOW?) to shift the coordinates in MCX so that I can keep the scale, rotation etc. as before without using the object placement tool or simdirector?

Any help is highly appreciatiated!

Best regards

Sascha

Unbenannt-1.jpg
Unbenannt-2.jpg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

In the batch wizard you can add a move operator. If there is placement information present it will be updated as well. I don't think that bit is done from the move window in MCX, I need to double check that in the code.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I checked the source code. The normal move dialog in MCX will also move the placement location when it is present. So if you load a BGL file that contains your model and the placement, using the move tool should result in both the object moved and the placement information updated so that the object stays at the same location on earth.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
It's in the toolbar. By default it is on scale, but if you press the small arrow you can do move or rotate as well.

1550089671353.png

Country
germany
AH! I was looking under "wizwards". Will try now! Thanks! Will it keep the original reference point from max in the "center" of the object group even if I move it back to the required 535 meters along the x-axis?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Not sure what you mean with keeping the reference point in the center, since you are moving the reference point :)

Country
germany
I placed all objects in Max at their correct position (the RefPoint in Max is identical with the airport reference point). Unfortunately the ARP is not within the boundaries of the objects and so the Refpoint is also outside of the objects as well. Therefore the LODs do not switch as early as they should. This results in flickering surfaces (sidewalks which are only 15cm above ground in LOD400, 45cm in LOD 300 and 1m in LOD100)...

I now wanted to move the objects in Max along the y-axis so the RefPoint in Max is within the objects but I want to keep the objects in the same position as before (when RefPoint=ARP). SO I guess I have to change the coordinates of the "new" Max RefPoint to something 535 meters down the y-axis :-/